AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's certainly shaping up to be a pretty bad summer for Nvidia. Lets hope they can transition quickly and flawlessly to 55mm so they can hopefully be more competitive price/perf.

NVDA is down ~20% in June. I guess shareholders were expecting more.

If things stay as they are, I don't see Nvidia getting a lot of OEM design wins for the back to school season. Which gives ATI a chance to grab large chunks of marketshare.

Nvidia will be fine just based on brand recognition. Most consumers still follow the halo effect.

The laptop market especially is wide open to ATI right now if they can quickly get out a chip based on Rv770 for the mobile sector.

I'd certainly love to see some rv770 based mobile parts, but I'd be surprised if anything hits this year. The mobile market has always been ridiculously slow in transitioning to new hardware.

Notice how in some tests it also beats the GTX 260 with AA? (Oblivion, Race Driver Grid and comes close in RS:V). So... GTX 260 @ $399. HD4850 @ $199. Something is overpriced here.

Notice how in some tests it also beats the GTX 260 with AA? (Oblivion, Race Driver Grid and comes close in RS:V). So... GTX 260 @ $399. HD4850 @ $199. Something is overpriced here.

Yeah that 4850 clearly needs to be $50 cheaper. I'd be interested to see a benchmark with a 1GB board just to see how that compared. With all these 1920x1200 with 4xAA tests I'd have to imagine they're running out of memory on those 512MB boards.

But how many of those consumers actually pick their video card or know which ones are good? The OEMs are likely to load up on ATI cards based solely on price/performance.

I expect there to be an upswing in ATI/AMD parts no doubt, but dell et al are going to carry what their consumers want. AMD is going to gain share, but I certainly wouldn't expect them to surpass Nvidia mindshare with one generation. And while the 280/260 may be underwhelming a lot of people, its not the NV30 by any stretch of the imagination.

So the jump in idle power draw is b/c clock gating only goes so far with that many more transistors, I guess? Is it b/c ATI doesn't have separate transistors dedicated to 2D? Did GT200 improve so much in idle power draw b/c it's basically shutting everything down but NVIO (v2)?

Wow, just wow. We've been waiting over a year for some decent bandwidth efficiency in ATI GPUs and when it rains it pours.

I wonder how much better Cat 8.6 works?

Looks like GTX260 is going to have to hit $200 once HD4870 arrives. People are calling it good value for money at $400 :LOL:

Jawed

8.6 seems to be geared towards crossfire, people are reporting improvements and resolved issues all over the boards

So the jump in idle power draw is b/c clock gating only goes so far with that many more transistors, I guess? Is it b/c ATI doesn't have separate transistors dedicated to 2D? Did GT200 improve so much in idle power draw b/c it's basically shutting everything down but NVIO (v2)?
Does Cat 8.5 drive RV770 properly?

Jawed

Yeah that 4850 clearly needs to be $50 cheaper. I'd be interested to see a benchmark with a 1GB board just to see how that compared. With all these 1920x1200 with 4xAA tests I'd have to imagine they're running out of memory on those 512MB boards.

AA performance is a little better in average than an 8800 Ultra, which has framebuffer AND bandwidth, and anyway 1 Gb cards will cost more. And I think the 4850 is still bandwidth starved.

AA performance is a little better in average than an 8800 Ultra, which has framebuffer AND bandwidth, and anyway 1 Gb cards will cost more. And I think the 4850 is still bandwidth starved.
We'll know when some cards come out and we can overclock the memory, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back