AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The G94 is approximately the same big. But nVidia can't shrink G94 to 55nm process, nor they can't pack the 65nm trannies more densely, because the die size is already about the lower limit for 256bit interface.
Which is why on 55nm it'd be about the same size as RV670... So RV670 doesn't exist, it's all just a dream, right? :p

Which is why on 55nm it'd be about the same size as RV670... So RV670 doesn't exist, it's all just a dream, right? :p

It better be slightly bigger if you ask me, in order to hit higher frequencies than currently expected.

RV610->RV620 = +1 milion of transistors and 22% reduction of die-space

using simple proportion, 55nm G94 would be 185mm2. It would be 9mm2 smaller than the smallest 256bit GPU, RV670. I think 55nm G94 is feasible, but die-space reduction wouldn't be as significant, as for ATi's 55nm transition.

See GT200 thread, although this isn't as much of a problem here as far as I can tell obviously:
Let's make this easy - no GPU-Z screenshots for either GT200 or R7xx unless accompanied with other plausible-sounding information, and no discussion that assumes the transistor count or the die size to be a perfectly reliable and obvious variable. A ridiculous amount of the noise in both threads is related to these factors so let's give that a try... please? :)

No way a single RV770 could beat the GX2, and most certainly not at 800 MHz. With a blessing from God* the RV770 will be 50% faster than RV670, not a bit more.

*) Yeah I know, guy's a BS. So suppose around 45% instead.

Not only are those graphs showing it faster, it's a LOT faster. That's totally unpossible unless all the things speculated in this thread are completely off.

if thats true then I think amd is finaly in good shape. Though I don't think its true. I expect it to be faster than the 9800gtx but slower than the 9800gx2. However once again if true then ati is in very good shape

Not only are those graphs showing it faster, it's a LOT faster. That's totally unpossible unless all the things speculated in this thread are completely off.

Err, why?

If TMU's are the limiting factor on HD3870 as I believe well there are twice as many of them. Shouldn't it be twice as fast?

That is why I didn't get why early sources claimed RV770 might be 30-40% faster than RV670. It's doubling the most limiting stat (TMU's), 50% increase in shaders (more if clock domains are true), plus a core clock bump to top all that off.

Actually I just did the math and if the shaders are truly clocked at 1050mhz (which is basically just pure rumor) than you get 1.35 clockX1.5X SP's=>2.025X as much shader power as RV670 as well.

That said, those benches do seem too good to be true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Err, why?

If TMU's are the limiting factor on HD3870 as I believe well there are twice as many of them. Shouldn't it be twice as fast?

That is why I didn't get why early sources claimed RV770 might be 30-40% faster than RV670. It's doubling the most limiting stat (TMU's), 50% increase in shaders (more if clock domains are true), plus a core clock bump to top all that off.

Actually I just did the math and if the shaders are truly clocked at 1050mhz (which is basically just pure rumor) than you get 1.35 clockX1.5X SP's=>2.025X as much shader power as RV670 as well.

That said, those benches do seem too good to be true.

You could be right! - But I need more evidence :)

test3dmark06.jpg

Edit: But I though running Intel Quad Core processor @ 3GHz you are limited about ~6,000 - 6,500 3Dmark points under Shader Model 2 test even with quad crossfire HD3870X2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I just did the math and if the shaders are truly clocked at 1050mhz (which is basically just pure rumor)
Core clock over 1 GHz is very probable, I'd say certain. Just trust me on this ;) (btw, it's not just the shaders, but the whole chip. R6xx can't run out of sync like G8x/G9x does, there's an explanation from Jawed a few pages back, look it up if you want).
...The catch is, however, whether the chip really has 32 TMUs. Texturing units take up a lot of transistors and if the chip only has over 800 million, they could stay at 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back