New Forum Skin: Introducing 'vB3D' Edit: And vB3D-LC

I think I'll come to like this scheme but iif I was to do it myself I'd make the gray boxes around the top info bar (User CP FAQ Members List etc) and so on a little darker as their outline now appear somewhat vague against the very white background.

Other than that I don't think I have anything else to say right now - other than "it's not like it used to be!" but I'm not allowed to say that or else I have to go buy some weird guns and roses album.. :cool:

Oh and by the way.. "console games" appears in two places in the forum combo-box and "PC games" appear as a subforum under console games (first time it appears but not second). Looks kinda weird and disorganised so I'm sure it's just a misclick in a config menu on your side or somesuch. heh.

Thanks for the efforts you put in to improve the site. We all appreciate it.

Peace.

Oh and by the way.. "console games" appears in two places in the forum combo-box and "PC games" appear as a subforum under console games (first time it appears but not second). Looks kinda weird and disorganised so I'm sure it's just a misclick in a config menu on your side or somesuch.
heh heh, no misconfiguration on our part for this.
We just wanted to link the console and PC gaming crowd in an intertwined way, while still keeping the two discrete forums.

It's like the "B3D Video Game Forum Union", or the "United Video Game Forums of B3D" , if you will.

I love it when a theme comes together.

Nice work, Farid.

I mean on those instructions. ;)

Looks very good, but was laggy on my PC when scrolling, so I changed back to the old one :(

Spec: Athlon 3200+, 2 gigs of ram, 9800 Pro with latest drivers, Vista 32
Edit: 1280 x 1024

Whoa... thought I was at some other forum for a second. Looks great, and love the match with the frontpage. Thanks Vys!

Man, I saw the new skin and immediately changed it back to the old one, and in the process felt guilty about it since I was sure some lamers had flamed Ratchet & co. for contributing. ;) But here I arrive at the Feedback oubliette, and it's all these well-reasoned posts and Vysez who took umbrage to it all in advance! ^^; How perfect. Sadly, I must concur with the sentiment -- the new theme is really attractive; much more so than the previous theme, but... it's too contrasty and annoys me ever so slightly to look at. Just tone down the white a bit and I'll say "WOOT GREAT THEME"... or I can just use the old one, either way I'm appreciative. It certainly will make the forum appear more professional and thematically in line with the frontpage, which should impress the noobs. Seems like a lot of effort's been done in that direction lately, and done pretty well. Good luck, staff! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The brightness of the forum has made me go back to the original format. I usually keep my home office dark as in no lights and that makes the contrast way too much for the eyes.

Format is good otherwise.
Im having the same problem. The new skin looks good, just too bright. Any chance of getting something darker? Thanks a million.

epic

I went back to the old one. Whilst being old and crap it doesn't hurt my tired eyes like the bright and lovely new one.

I suppose I could put my shades on. :cool:

I wonder how much monitor types and settings have to do with the variety of reactions on the "too bright" front.

Thank you Farid

I understand what it's like to put your thought and work into something only to have others question and bash it down to a pulp. So I'll say a big Thank You for your work in reworking the look of the forums. The buttons are beautiful and the overall look is very nice.

Nice. :cool:

I wonder how much monitor types and settings have to do with the variety of reactions on the "too bright" front.
It’s not only the absolute brightness that contributes to it being too bright, it’s also the contrast. It feels a bit like blobs of bright blue in a flat sea of white (the blue parts draw attention and it's hard to focus on/read a single post). Personally, I'd like for a slightly higher contrast between the user and message pane, [strike]a bit more gray/blue in both[/strike], and a more accentuated border around individual posts. As is, while it certainly looks sleek, it gave me a headache.

Edit: WRT the strikeout, I had to check, and the message pane is the same as the old one (duh), so it's mostly down to contrast. A slightly darker blue tone in the user pane (and the same background for quoted text) along with a border tweak helped immensely, though.

Looks very good, but was laggy on my PC when scrolling, so I changed back to the old one :(

Spec: Athlon 3200+, 2 gigs of ram, 9800 Pro with latest drivers, Vista 32
Edit: 1280 x 1024

QFT :) I'm using XP and Friefox

In any cases, if you dislike the new style, for any reason, feel free to follow this simple three step tutorial:
:p

Thx for the tutorial since i simply had to revert back - your new skin is causing 100% cpu usage on my laptop (p3-750/512mb) while scrolling. I wonder what you did to cause this... :)

Looks great! Very comphrehensive overhau and one of the nicer forums around now.

Might wanna clean up the edges of the b3d circle logo gif at the top though ;)

Thx for the tutorial since i simply had to revert back - your new skin is causing 100% cpu usage
Confirmed. Scrolling with the new skin is choppy and quite CPU intensive in IE (Firefox seems unaffected for me).

Edit: On a Turion @ 800MHz for testing purposes.

That's interesting. I do have an X2 with 2GB of RAM, but I also run 2 Folding clients all day, and probably have oh, 12 windows open right now with different apps, some of which are active/polling. . . and I don't see any choppiness with IE on the new skin.

Back