UK : PlayStation 3 enjoys record pre-orders

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
No one here can guarantee 1080p will NOT be the dominant resolution in the future in the HD space.

It's a ridiculous idea when you consider the vasy majority of the TV buying public couldn't tell the difference between 720p or 1080p if their lives depended on it.

If 1080p does become the dominant resolution it will only be because CE manufacturers stop producing 720p and 1080i sets, not because of consumer demand for some marginally better looking resolution.

720p and 1080i are true HD, they look amazing, and 1080p is a TINY little step up from that that most people could care less about. As for content, the most important content is TV broadcasts, those are 720p and 1080i, and I would not be holding my breath waiting for those to come in 1080p native, you'll be waiting a long ass time....

MS sealed their own fate with this 1080p business. The average consumer isn't going to believe the 360 can really do it because of all the guff coming out of the various MS outlets when Sony were bragging about 1080p.

"Not needed" "No games in 1080p" etc.etc.

lol, that's a funy statement, the 'average' consumer doesn't give a shit about 1080p, that's if they even know what it is!

The 'average' consumer, never heard any pf MS's 'guff' about 1080p, they are probably not even aware what resolutions either console outputs. You're confusing 'average consumer' with 'hardcore techphile'

While we don’t have the majority of games produced at 1080p, but as a consumer do you purchase only 720p only sets due to your reason?
That's a serious consideration. Eventually 1080p will be the standard res, but for the time being if most content is 720p, games and TV programmes, you might be better off saving a bundle and buying a cheaper 720 set, and then getting a 1080p at much reduced cost and better tech when 1080p is more prevalent. Alternative buy a 1080p set now that's 'future proof'.

That's a serious consideration. Eventually 1080p will be the standard res, but for the time being if most content is 720p, games and TV programmes, you might be better off saving a bundle and buying a cheaper 720 set, and then getting a 1080p at much reduced cost and better tech when 1080p is more prevalent. Alternative buy a 1080p set now that's 'future proof'.

What are the chances that we ever see TV broadcasts in 1080p this decade?

It's a ridiculous idea when you consider the vasy majority of the TV buying public couldn't tell the difference between 720p or 1080p if their lives depended on it.

I guess the HD consumers are just buying more BR than HD-DVD recently because they're just suckers of Sony PR.

720p and 1080i are true HD, they look amazing, and 1080p is a TINY little step up from that that most people could care less about. As for content, the most important content is TV broadcasts, those are 720p and 1080i, and I would not be holding my breath waiting for those to come in 1080p native, you'll be waiting a long ass time....

My native 1080p comment was regards to games, and even in terms of movie content (no one is talking about TV broadcast) 1080p can still be the standard if BR becomes the dominant format even if you can't see it happening.

"True HD" is a label, at least here in the UK (and EU?) that stands for 1080p native resolution I believe. it's not an official standard definied by the HDTV commitee ot what-have-you, but it is a label that educated consumers may be looking out for. "True HD" stuck on the screen means you're getting a 1920x1080 display. Lack of that means you're getting any HD resolution. Thus a "True HD" label on a console will tie it in with the 1080p crowd.

The solution is for MS to stick "True HD" labels on XB360, if it's not a standard that they need ratifying.

Ahh, well I can see why some would want it if it's being marketed like that in the UK, in Canada there is no such thing that I know of, HD is HD. The only one pushing the term 'True HD' here is Sony PR.

I guess the HD consumers are just buying more BR than HD-DVD recently because they're just suckers of Sony PR.

You have absolutely no proof that these sales have anything to do with 1080p capabilities. In fact, if you used an ounce of logic, you would conclude that the sales of PS3 are what are driving the BR sales, not 1080p capabilities :rolleyes:

My native 1080p comment was regards to games, and even in terms of movie content (no one is talking about TV broadcast) 1080p can still be the standard if BR becomes the dominant format even if you can't see it happening.

Well, your argument is a 1080p owner is going to only want 1080p content to maximize their investment. If, like most people, they use their set primarily to watch TV, then this argument falls apart, they will already be watching the vast majority of their content in 720p or 1080i.

As I said, in general the guys REALLY concerned with having 1080p output for their TV will be techphiles, and are going to be the same guys who are smart enough to educate themselves on the 2 consoles, and they'll know that both support 1080p.

Of course, there's going to be some consumers who get convinced by a salesmen that they need 1080p, and are misinformed that only PS3 supports it, but hey, there's a sucker born every minute, and you're talking a very fringe group of people here.

The 'percieved' lack of 1080p capabiltiies for 360 aren't t going to impact mainstream sales whatsoever, you can take that to the bank!

What are the chances that we ever see TV broadcasts in 1080p this decade?
There are 1080i broadcast which benefit from a 1080p native set (it's the resolution that matters), and movies. The choice is basically one of movies+documentaries versus sports+games I think! If you prefer sports and gaming, and care less for movies, a 720p set is probably a better choice. Next gen, within 10 years, 1080p games will be readily doable (we've yet to see how well they manage this gen), so a 1080p set will be good for games, movies, and those 1080i broadcasts, making it a preferred choice over 720p. And eventually we'll get 1080p broadcasts somehow, but I doubt in 10 years. Not sure what tech will be needed to enable those.

At the moment, there seems to be quite a push to encourage 1080p. For movies, which I think are most valued for the home cinema experience, I guess it makes sense. In which case, a 1080p console might catch your eye. Personally, I doubt average consumers are that savvy, and i doubt any but a handful of people pick PS3 over XB360 just because it has TrueHD or 1080p stuck on it. As others have commented, first and foremost is the PlayStation brand. Then comes wowzer games and movie playback and 'my friend says it's really cool and much better than XB360' and all that other jazz. 1080p will mostly only be raised in layground squabbles IMO. 'Yeah, but PS3's in True HD and XB360 isn't, so nyah'

Since Sharp released its latest Aquos in the UK marketing it with 1080p recently (priced competitive to 720p/1080i sets), it seems other major players are following suit announcing/releasing sets with 1080p capability, thus this kind of competitiveness with the release of BR will push 1080p standards more aggressively.

You have complete rights to that opinion of yours, but if you have a chance, go to a TV store and have a 720p & 1080p set running side by side at the same size and content.

Higher resolution still means more to some than others.

i once watched 1080p clip in 720p tv and 1080p tv of same brand & size, don't know about the models, but they don't look different enough to persuade me to spend thousands of pounds more, if i am wrong, whatever the extra they are charging.

MS sealed their own fate with this 1080p business. The average consumer isn't going to believe the 360 can really do it because of all the guff coming out of the various MS outlets when Sony were bragging about 1080p.

"Not needed" "No games in 1080p" etc.etc.

The average consumer, still compares consoles with counting how many megabytes it has.

Thats why MS is launching the Zephyr. 120gb is twice as good as the ps3.

Since Sharp released its latest Aquos in the UK marketing it with 1080p recently (priced competitive to 720p/1080i sets), it seems other major players are following suit announcing/releasing sets with 1080p capability, thus this kind of competitiveness with the release of BR will push 1080p standards more aggressively.

What? Read that back to yourself.

Back on topic...These 'record' pre-orders don't mean much in the overall big picture. The early-adopters aren't what Sony is going to need to sustain a succesful lifespan.

The big question is where are the games? That will end up being the deciding factor. Not BR, and not the price.

If you release the games...they will come.

You have absolutely no proof that these sales have anything to do with 1080p capabilities. In fact, if you used an ounce of logic, you would conclude that the sales of PS3 are what are driving the BR sales, not 1080p capabilities :rolleyes:

I am borrowing your ounce of logic here. As you concluded BR sales are driven by the sales of PS3. What does both platforms (BR format and PS3) push in regards to HD standards when compared to the competition? :rolleyes:

Well, your argument is a 1080p owner is going to only want 1080p content to maximize their investment. If, like most people, they use their set primarily to watch TV, then this argument falls apart, they will already be watching the vast majority of their content in 720p or 1080i.

I don't know about only want 1080p content (your spin on something I've never said), but I believe 'prefer' contents of the highest quality to maximise the capability of their 1080p set. :D

The 'percieved' lack of 1080p capabiltiies for 360 aren't t going to impact mainstream sales whatsoever, you can take that to the bank!

Well we'll never know as MS has changed this now. By the time both consoles gets 'mainstream' uptake X360 is 1080p capable should have reached them.

What? Read that back to yourself.

Back on topic...These 'record' pre-orders don't mean much in the overall big picture. The early-adopters aren't what Sony is going to need to sustain a succesful lifespan.

The big question is where are the games? That will end up being the deciding factor. Not BR, and not the price.

If you release the games...they will come.

It was regarding the push for 1080p, but yeah getting OT.

Back OT absolutely agree, games will be the #1 factor, but interesting how Europe's reception to the PS3 seems more favourable to the other regions.

maybe we should make a poll on who will get a 1080p or 720p display, as well as how many people have HD display right now. its interesting to see people here singing 1080p and hdmi

maybe we should make a poll on who will get a 1080p or 720p display, as well as how many people have HD display right now. its interesting to see people here singing 1080p and hdmi

What would this accomplish? Polling B3D isn't going to give us any real world results. Everyone on this forum, is the exception to the general public. We aren't going to be the ones deciding any fate on consoles or displays.

While it would be fun to see that only 50% of PS3 users have an HD display let alone a 1080p display, in the wild this number is going to be much less.

This ties into possibly why there are 'record' pre-orders for the EU launch. I can only go by what some of you are saying, but my understanding is EU has a much larger install base of HD displays (sound about right?)

If thats the case, then this could help explain why so many early adopters want to get a PS3 to pump out some HD content on their HD starved displays?

I know one thing that is not a reason consumers are buying more BR than HD-DVD recently is 1080p since both formats are 1080p.

I am borrowing your ounce of logic here. As you concluded BR sales are driven by the sales of PS3. What does both platforms (BR format and PS3) push in regards to HD standards when compared to the competition? :rolleyes:

Both HD-DVD and BR support 1080p actually, again you're totally misinformed. And PS3 also is a GAMING PLATFORM, so you can't attribute it's sales to a checkbox feature of it's BR player, I thought you said you were using logic here...

I don't know about only want 1080p content (your spin on something I've never said), but I believe 'prefer' contents of the highest quality to maximise the capability of their 1080p set. :D

Actually, I think my paraphrase was closer to your initial statement then you're latest backpedal. You said:
they'll want most if not all content to display this resolution to take advantage of their investment

No point in arguing semantics anyways, I agree some will prefer 1080p content, that's why it's good thing both 360 and PS3 support it ;)

I know one thing that is not a reason consumers are buying more BR than HD-DVD recently is 1080p since both formats are 1080p.

My bad, it was early Toshiba HD-DVD player limited to 1080i, but the point is from the get-go BR/PS3 always pushed 1080p compared to their competitors who had to play catch up.

Back