LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Gamespot review and the image above are fake (Look at the developer of Lair). The Play, GamePro and ECM reviews are real I think.

this is so getting interesting for the sake of discussion.
http://i16.tinypic.com/4mkj14g.jpg

Rofl, that is the worst fake ss I have ever seen, the one who made it must have been drunk. The tipex use ('white cover color') Nintendo as developer under the Lair picture.... priceless! :LOL:

I am really interested to know what drives people to fake game scores, I mean the real one will be relased soon one thoose sites/magazines so why fake it? 'shakes head'

i edited my post.
it seems obvious to me that there're a bunch of people who reeally love to c Lair fail. but in the end it's all up to us to judge.

Rofl, that is the worst fake ss I have ever seen, the one who made it must have been drunk. The tipex use ('white cover color') Nintendo as developer under the Lair picture.... priceless! :LOL:

I am really interested to know what drives people to fake game scores, I mean the real one will be relased soon one thoose sites/magazines so why fake it? 'shakes head'

This was a joke post on GAF ;)

Not meant to be taken seriously...I mean it's reviewed right next to 2 N64 games.

Sounds like LAIR may be pretty bad in the gameplay department, which is too bad, it was really starting to peak my interest.

It's a little disappointing since this is effectively a new IP from a great dev... a 3.75/5 (or a 75% on the old scale) isn't awful, it's just not as great as many of us were hoping.

It certainly looks like the hype may have hit this a little too much though... maybe reviewers were harsher on this one because of all the expectation Sony threw behind it? Hard to tell.

The Gamespot review and the image above are fake (Look at the developer of Lair). The Play, GamePro and ECM reviews are real I think.

We'll see ... ! The Play magazine at least read as a real review, being a full text with proper arguments and such. ;) Gamespot has an E3 2007 preview of the first two levels of the complete build that seems quite positive. The game will be out in two weeks anyway so it won't be long before we get some real reviews. ;)

Whelp... you'll definitely hear from me. I can't wait to play this game (like the subject matter and the scale + scope). If the complains are valid, I hope F5 is already working on a patch to turn on the analog control, fix ground camera and Playstation Home integration.

I should be able to figure out the confusing mission part. Most of the stuff I deal with at work is a confusing blur anyway. :D

Whelp... you'll definitely hear from me. I can't wait to play this game (like the subject matter and the scale + scope). If the complains are valid, I hope F5 is already working on a patch to turn on the analog control, fix ground camera and Playstation Home integration.

I should be able to figure out the confusing mission part. Most of the stuff I deal with at work is a confusing blur anyway. :D

I am against analog option. I think developers should decide what kind of controls they want and stick with it. Choice is bad. :)

Plus, if the problem with controls is not flying around but all those other motion sensing stuff I would think sticks won't solve anything.

Honestly I am more interested in Lair after reading those reviews. If the only problem with the game is accurate but overly done motion controls I will probably be on board. When it comes to motion controls it is best for me to ignore reviews, as I feel they don't generally know what they are talking about. It is one of those things one should try him/herself.

I am against analog option. I think developers should decide what kind of controls they want and stick with it. Choice is bad. :)

Plus, if the problem with controls is not flying around but all those other motion sensing stuff I would think sticks won't solve anything.

Usually I would agree, but I seem to hear quite a few concerns about it (after playthrough). So unless they tweak it until it works, they should offer a way out for "the rest of us".

flOw and Super Rub-a-dub are fun with SIXAXIS, MotorStorm's SIXAXIS control is actually not too bad (works better than I thought), Resistance is ok too (Shaking to drop tag and deadly hugs).

Now I am waiting anxiously to see Warhawk's and Lair's flight control. Still... if enough people hate it, they should probably give in and provide an alternative. I think Warhawk supports both schemes, doesn't it ?

Honestly I am more interested in Lair after reading those reviews. If the only problem with the game is accurate but overly done motion controls I will probably be on board. When it comes to motion controls it is best for me to ignore reviews, as I feel they don't generally know what they are talking about. It is one of those things one should try him/herself.

Yes... someone rated Super Rub-a-dub 2/10. I think they should stop writing, but that's just my opinion. I still hate the whiners who caused us to lose the Batarang controller, but that's just me.

So I'll simply try it out and see what happens.

EDIT: Actually, at this point I suddenly remember Kamaji in Spirited Away, "Finish what you started, human !". Lair seems to be a wonderful work of art and technology at this point, but there are still some loose ends. "Patch" it complete please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just in case my sarcasm meter isn't broken, I have to respond to this! :)

Users of anything disagree with you. If person A prefers option A and person B prefers option B, but only option A is available, person B isn't going to enjoy the game as much as person A. Also, developers are the last people to decide what all users want, that's what user testing is for. The fact that reviewers are complaining about the controls proves that a lack of choice is bad.

Personally, controls are a "make or break" thing. I've played many games that had the potential to be really fun, but the controls just ruined it (i.e. most console FPSs). That said, I'm still suspicious of the reviews, I'm going to wait until I see some reviews first hand.

GAMEPRO - 3.75/5 (A)

Pros: Gorgeous graphics, amazing orchestral soundtrack, dragon based action is fun.

Cons: The decision to use a SixAxis only control scheme hurts more than it helps.

Some random quotes from the review...

ON THE CONTROL SCHEME ISSUES:

"To be fair, the motion sensing is pretty accurate but requiring you to constantly move your hands around while fiddling with buttons over the course of a fairly long game is asking too much. It's unfortunate that the game relies so heavily on a gimmicky feature that no one has been able to get a true grasp of (pun intended)."

ON THE GOOD QUALITIES:

"At it's best, the dragon-based combat of Lair is pretty damn awesome. Soaring around majestically in the sky; raining hot fiery dragon-breath death upon your foes' heads; grappling with other dragons and clawing their eyes out; leaping onto an enemy dragon-rider's back and hacking at him with your weapon; swooping down onto the ground and rampaging around like Godzilla--there's no shortage of thrills to be had."

SOME ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

"I should point out that we were playing an early review build and Factor 5 will probably make tweaks up to the moment the gold master goes off to the mastering lab, but the core gameply mechanics are already in place and there's no denying that it's flawed. I expect many fans will be disappointed thanks to all of the hype that's built up around the game, but the inevitable complaints about the control scheme will no doubt be warrented. Despite all this, Lair still manages to be a decent title that all PS3 owners should look into but you may want to reserve your true excitement for the day when the other hotly anticipated PS3 titles like Heavenly Sword arrive."

ON THE GROUND CONTROLS:

"The Sixaxis-only control scheme that plagues the game is noticably absent when you land your dragon on the ground as the analog sticks take over, making it easier to wreak havoc."
He thinks the motion controls in general is a gimmick and it seems like the reviewer is'nt capable of doing two thing at the same time - maneuver the dragon with motion controls at the same time using the buttons, or atleast throughout the game.

I bet he is'nt found of many Wii-games...

Just in case my sarcasm meter isn't broken, I have to respond to this! :)
Generalization part was a joke.
Users of anything disagree with you.
I am a user of many things and fully agree with myself. ;)
If person A prefers option A and person B prefers option B, but only option A is available, person B isn't going to enjoy the game as much as person A. Also, developers are the last people to decide what all users want, that's what user testing is for.

Personally, controls are a "make or break" thing. I've played many games that had the potential to be really fun, but the controls just ruined it (i.e. most console FPSs).

I am not talking about things like remapping keys or adjusting sensitivity.
Let's take Motorstorm for example. I love and prefer motion control but I don't know whether it eases things or not. Because in order to find out, I need to master both schemes which I have no intention of doing. Even if I knew, I don't want to choose between fun of driving and fun of winning. Same goes for Heavenly Sword or K/M option of UT3.

Do you think it makes sense to disable double button QTEs of RE4? One could argue that it is too cumbersome. Choice is not necessarily a good thing, too much of it certainly complicates the experience.

IMHO, if the control is part of the gameplay inherently (like flOw), then it should be left alone for the users to experience. But if the control is simply a mechanic to get to the game objectives (like sports or fighting games), I believe they should provide the easiest control for all to use effectively. It's no longer an experience or an art. As long as these control options are easily accessible (e.g., 2-3 quick choices), then we should be fine.

All these talks are making me impatient. 2 weeks is very long, isn't it ?

EDIT: Here's a gameplay footage (showing SIXAXIS also) in Taipei: http://n4g.com/ps3/NewsCom-55408.aspx#Comments

The player looks engrossed in the game, which is good. Too bad no one interviewed him.

IMHO, if the control is part of the gameplay inherently (like flOw), then it should be left alone for the users to experience. But if the control is simply a mechanic to get to the game objectives (like sports or fighting games), I believe they should provide the easiest control for all to use effectively. It's no longer an experience or an art. As long as these control options are easily accessible (e.g., 2-3 quick choices), then we should be fine.

All these talks are making me impatient. 2 weeks is very long, isn't it ?

EDIT: Here's a gameplay footage (showing SIXAXIS also) in Taipei: http://n4g.com/ps3/NewsCom-55408.aspx#Comments

The player looks engrossed in the game, which is good. Too bad no one interviewed him.

Ugh, the voice acting is so bad compared to the gorgeous graphics and score.

I don't care so much for voice acting for an action game, but I had to laugh when I heard, "Those are OUR troops ! You're supposed to kill the Mokais !" :LOL:

EDIT: I think I get a feel of why it can be confusing to play a Lair mission.

alright. derailing done. back on topic.
i really hope this game can b long, they said there'll b twists in the story and it's deep so there's hope. a 15-20hr Lair would make me really satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back