PS3 Open Platform - some big news

I am sorry, but that guy is just plain wrong. He's making backups because his disc get scratched? Last time I checked, you can get your scratched disc changed by the publisher.
Hey! Hard-coated Blu-ray Disc can't be scratched! ;)

Seeing that they can extract the content of a BD-ROM, BD-RE and BD-R seem readable too from Linux which is a definitely good thing. And the SIXAXIS works through a USB port in Linux when connected to a USB port which means you can use it on a PC without Bluetooth. Haven't anyone connected a PS3 HDD to a PC and examined the file system structure of a PS3 partition yet?

They managed to run Quake 3 on Fedora PS3. They used software OpenGl, running only on central processor.

q3ps3-2.jpg

Brief video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpvIHFBoMNk
news link, with little tutorial - http://ps3.qj.net/Quake-3-Arena-on-PS3-via-Fedora-/pg/49/aid/73945

Apparently YDL is released on Monday, will be interesting to see if it performs better than Fedora and if some sort of access to RSX has been granted.

Ah, I haven't really been playing that much attention to the goings on due to the launch date of the console in Europe, so I haven't looked into Linux at any length.

It appears there is some hope though as it says "at this point in time"....

Last edited by a moderator:
PS3 l33t hackerz guy seyz

It's a *huge* gulf to cross between putting a game image into the Linux partition and actually hacking the XMB OS. Frankly I'll be be fairly impressed if it ever gets done. As far as I know, the information on the Other OS partition - save for booting Linux itself - is completely walled off from being executed in the XMB. Nothing else would make sense for the way Sony has decided to implement their OS freedom (running on a layer).

It's a *huge* gulf to cross between putting a game image into the Linux partition and actually hacking the XMB OS. Frankly I'll be be fairly impressed if it ever gets done. As far as I know, the information on the Other OS partition - save for booting Linux itself - is completely walled off from being executed in the XMB. Nothing else would make sense for the way Sony has decided to implement their OS freedom (running on a layer).

Long time no see man!

I was just on psinext looking you up... holla!

OK people climb mountains because they are there, but why are people so keen on running games like Doom on Linux on the PS3, when you have PS3 on the PS3? I myself am more interested in running computer applications on PS3 Linux.

Long time no see man!

I was just on psinext looking you up... holla!

Well, here I am. :)

Been very busy of late, so haven't been able to post much in either location. But as things calm down post-PS3 launch, hopefully that will begin to change.

I think this whole dumping of the game ISOs will be interesting to find out how much space the games are using on the disk. Which in turn will help fuel those DVD vs Bluray discussion. I can't wait :???:

!!!

That actually works much better than I thought. Is YDL optimized for Cell (including SPUs) ? If so, PS3 is going to rock.

Hey! Hard-coated Blu-ray Disc can't be scratched! ;)

Seeing that they can extract the content of a BD-ROM, BD-RE and BD-R seem readable too from Linux which is a definitely good thing. And the SIXAXIS works through a USB port in Linux when connected to a USB port which means you can use it on a PC without Bluetooth. Haven't anyone connected a PS3 HDD to a PC and examined the file system structure of a PS3 partition yet?

I think ROMMark wants to have a word with you... You can't rip a pure copy of a BD-ROM disk, there is a tiny firmware in the way which alters the bitstream for certain locations on the disk. This means that although some novice 'pirates' can get the bitstream they can't burn a perfect copy back to BD-R (as the ROMMark is missing). This allows BD drives to easily detect what is a BD-R and what is a BD-ROM so backups won't work.

So, until pirates get licensed writers with ROMMark (which permit the mark to be burnt back in with their data) I doubt you'll see many backups working. Also, with BD+ if pirates do get hold of such writers the other manufacturers could update the devices to spit the disks out.

Fedora Core 6 on PS3 (1080i), playng back 720p XviD, browsing with Firefox
http://stage6.divx.com/members/246437/videos/1042281
See it in full-screen, if your monitor is 16:9 you get the sense of it... it's perfectly usable as a PC. Can't imagine what happens when it gets SPE optimization.

The vid he downloads isn't 720p..the other video is, but I'm not sure it's clear what the codec is. The file format is .mkv, but that's just a container format AFAIK (it's codec-independent). Still, very cool! Was one of the things I was wondering about, if any HD playback would be possible just on the PPE.

edit - Ah, I see where the codec is shown now. Cool stuff!

You know, with it's powerful virtualisation features, the CELL would be an excellent office processor for something like a financial firm or engineering company. This is because they can have the office workers doing all their stuff with the PPE, and run their financial or physical simulations on the SPEs in a big cluster. Because of the virtualisation, you would have no worry of viruses and crap screwing with simulation results.

You know, with it's powerful virtualisation features, the CELL would be an excellent office processor for something like a financial firm or engineering company. This is because they can have the office workers doing all their stuff with the PPE, and run their financial or physical simulations on the SPEs in a big cluster. Because of the virtualisation, you would have no worry of viruses and crap screwing with simulation results.

Doesn't the PPE manage the SPEs? How much overhead would it incur from SPE use?

There's an interesting how-to posted on terrasoft's website, that lists all the available video modes on the PS3 under YDL.

0:auto mode
YUV
60Hz 1:480i 2:480p 3:720p 4:1080i 5:1080p
50Hz 6:576i 7:576p 8:720p 9:1080i 10:1080p
RGB
vesa 11:WXGA 12:SXGA 13WUXGA
60Hz 33:480i 34:480p 35:720p 36:1080i 37:1080p
50Hz 38:576i 39:576p 40:720p 41:1080i 42:1080p

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_5.0/video-config.shtml

the three vesa modes, in case you are wondering, stand for what we know as 1366x768, 1280x1024, and 1920x1200.

Back