PS3 Open Platform - some big news

It seems we have a guinea pig on GAF, TTP is going to try a FC5 install :) I guess I'll spin off a new thread when we see a first success..

TBH I'm not ecstatic about multiple OSes now I think about it. One OS means every app written for PS3 works on every PS3 (with the OS installed). Multiple OSes means fragmenting the user base. If, say, Windows, OSX and Linux are available on PS3 in their own flavours, and you have one app on Windows version you love, and a different app on OSX, and another on Linux, you need to install all three to use those applcations. Yuck!

I think I'd prefer one standard OS. A single builf and flavour of Linux that is uniform across all PS3s. What we have now sounds like a recipe for trouble. 'To use PhotoCell Pro, you need this version of this OS, that version of this interface library, that version of Mick Fergal's rendertime libraries, yadayada,' and you find running applications becomes a faf. That's not what I'm after. I want a move to simplicity :(

I think Yellow Dog will be the 'official' flavor of Linux for the time being - but we'll see what's up.

I'll be picking up my PS3 today, and you can be sure I'll be exploring this Linux situation at length. :)

Well... which is to say, I'll let people know my findings. Not sure how much there si to 'explore' per se right now, but a battery of compatability tests and such seems in order.

TBH I'm not ecstatic about multiple OSes now I think about it. One OS means every app written for PS3 works on every PS3 (with the OS installed). Multiple OSes means fragmenting the user base. If, say, Windows, OSX and Linux are available on PS3 in their own flavours, and you have one app on Windows version you love, and a different app on OSX, and another on Linux, you need to install all three to use those applcations. Yuck!

Good thing that there will never be a Windows or OSX version for PS3, then.

I think I'd prefer one standard OS. A single builf and flavour of Linux that is uniform across all PS3s. What we have now sounds like a recipe for trouble. 'To use PhotoCell Pro, you need this version of this OS, that version of this interface library, that version of Mick Fergal's rendertime libraries, yadayada,' and you find running applications becomes a faf. That's not what I'm after. I want a move to simplicity :(

As long as it's all Linux this shouldn't be an issue I don't think..although I agree that YDL will likely be the most tailored distribution for some time. Performance on these "generic" distros may not be optimal.

TTP's install is in progress. He has got as far as installing the bootloader and making it his default OS. This is what he gets when he boots his PS3 now:

http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1001348tc6.jpg

He's waiting for FC5 to download now..

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Shifty's concerns. If you read my earlier posts on the subject, you'll see that in my mind one of the biggest assets of PS3 linux was to be the homogenous hardware and software platform. Now, if we get a dozen of distributions with different library versions and maybe even package managers, then that advantage is void. It may be the more free software-y thing to do, but personally I'd much prefer a unified platform.

But probably YDL will take over anyway. Or the first distribution to get OpenGL support ;)

Well, PC ownser should just replace Windows with Linux, and then we are closer than ever before, no matter which platform you pick. ;) Even with Linux installations, there are several different desktops to choose from, so that'd be something to get used to also. ;) The real advancement will come from it being easy and becoming common practice for applications to be available on all of them (being that typically they only require a re-compile, though different levels of desktop integration will require a few adjustments here and there).

But I'm fairly confident that the PS3 will get a Linux flavor that is by far the most popular.

Of course your concerns are reasonable, but I think a platform will emerge that fits the capacity of the PS3 user base. It could be YDL, we'll see.

I think Sony is working on a slower/longer term time-table.

Right now, it needs as many software developers involved as possible. It is not meant for end users (yet). So I'm ok with the multiple distro approach. Eventually (probably 1-2 years later), they can start to streamline/consolidate based on the support and acceptance of these OSse. I fully expect some Real-time OS to make it to PS3 too.

This approach is not as speedy as standardizing and promoting a platform on day one, and certainly less user friendly. Looking at Sony's recent moves, I think they are swarmed by work now, and need time to brew their software strategies and layer. The GameOS currently gets the highest priority first (for improvements).

pcostabel said:
Good thing that there will never be a Windows or OSX version for PS3, then.
Those were just named examples. The nature of the open platform is obviously open to OSes other than just Linux, which means the possibility of BSD, BeOS, RISC OS, or whatever creations. Some of these, if tailored to the PS3, could be very effective - moreso than Linux which is a multi-platform OS. I'd rather one OS was taken and refined to be the PSOS. As YDL is the first, fingers crossed it does become the standard and the gekk community doesn't fracture into bickering factions who all think their OS.Linux flavour is the right one and those who use alternatives are the Devil's Own (like that would ever happen...)

In this case of multi-Linux options, how interoperable is Linux? I've seen all over the place discussions of Linux apps where a guy can't get an app to work and the talk spins off into which build/kernal/UI/etc. have you got?, and I get the impression that Linux isn't entirely compatible with itself. Also, does basic operation between OS's work the same? Are the UIs equivalent so to set desktop properties, open files, and do the basics, it's the same between OSes? Will you have cases where one application doesn't run too well because a feature of a Linux build/flavour it relies on isn't present in an alternative?

I agree with Shifty's concerns. If you read my earlier posts on the subject, you'll see that in my mind one of the biggest assets of PS3 linux was to be the homogenous hardware and software platform. Now, if we get a dozen of distributions with different library versions and maybe even package managers, then that advantage is void. It may be the more free software-y thing to do, but personally I'd much prefer a unified platform.

But probably YDL will take over anyway. Or the first distribution to get OpenGL support ;)

I forsee some stripped down distros that more or less just is there to support the different applications, for example a full blown "media center". A linux that just boots up to behave and act as a media center..

Obviously i hope Sony just does the only right thing and provide a complete media solution on their own, something that can support USB Harddrives and network shares (in some form) and while they are at it, their location free thingy so that i can browse, hear and see everything on my PSP :)

Ding ding!

RuGalz on GAF has installed Fedora Core 5 on his PS3:

fedoraps3ql1.jpg

His was a minimum install, I think he wants to re-do it as a full install. But he's off for now, so no more details..

Great news!:D So it's released already??

It seems any PPC distro of Linux works, so it's not a matter of a particular distro being released..although if you're talking about YDL, it's not out yet.

A user on the PS3 forums has installed it also:

ps3linuxfb1.jpg

Very cool,

In case anyone was worried it does seem cell Runs at 3.2Ghz:p

edit: and from the look of the available memory and something I saw on the Open Platform FAQ that I will try and get a link to later the gameOS is probably still running and you may be able to swap between the two

very very cool
with a keyboard + mouse connected i dont see how anyone can argue seriously it aint a PC

very very cool
with a keyboard + mouse connected i dont see how anyone can argue seriously it aint a PC

But will it hook up to a DVI monitor and output video (besides movies) without HDCP support? At $500, it wouldn't be a bad PC alternative, and I'd say it will have more must have games than a PC anyway.

And why Sony had to fuck up this again ? WHY, WHY WHY ? Why there is just 197 MB available for Linux. ?!?! Firmware is inside flash, why you need to takeaway 60 MB of RAM ?!??!? I understand need the for so called "virtual mode", but why the hell there needs to be "full game os" on background?

Unless this changes, Sony has once again managed fuck things up. For anything more than trivial, you need all the memory you can get.

And why Sony had to fuck up this again ? WHY, WHY WHY ? Why there is just 197 MB available for Linux. ?!?! Firmware is inside flash, why you need to takeaway 60 MB of RAM ?!??!? I understand need the for so called "virtual mode", but why the hell there needs to be "full game os" on background?

Unless this changes, Sony has once again managed fuck things up. For anything more than trivial, you need all the memory you can get.
*) Could get less in the future (I really hope so *glares at Sony*), they cant increase the reserved memory in the future without breaking existing games, so the reserved RAM might be very conservative.
*) Probably some Linux-Programms could use functions running remotly within GameOS (and using Memory there) - like playback of protected Media.
*) Sony might recall the PS3 and rerelease it with 512MB XDR Ram. Im just typing an email directed at them.

*) Sony might recall the PS3 and rerelease it with 512MB XDR Ram. Im just typing an email directed at them.
Yes, that's clearly the best solution. I'll also commence writing at once. I'm sure they'll be very understanding of our plight.

But seriously, Ken's ravings about a PS3 version with more RAM down the road would make sense for Linux at least.

Back