Final Fantasy 12 - Reviews

Ok I have played few hours of this and I'm enjoying it, the characters seem to be a clear step up from X and X-2 imo. Basically everything is top notch. The only thing that upsets me, is the fact some enemies are extremely strong and there is no way of me knowing this before they kill me and oops I just lost 45 mins of progress :devilish:
Ok I could have guessed that the T-rex in the first mission is pretty strong, but nevertheless, I got pissed when I did zero damage to it and it did 482 on me with one hit (my hp being 163), ok so I have to avoid it.

Then on the next mission I was searching for that little missing boy, I played atleast 45 minutes killing all the creatures with Penelo, not much difficulties there, then these two werewolves show up and kill us both with one hit!? There is no way! I could have known that those guys must be avoided, I beat characters that looked just as bad as them on the same mission. It is very annoying to lose about 45mins of progress, exprerience points and all the loot! It's very hard to continue straigth after that, as it takes another 45 just to get where you already were. So yes I think it has some balance issues :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I have played few hours of this and I'm enjoying it, the characters seem to be a clear step up from X and X-2 imo. Basically everything is top notch. The only thing that upsets me, is the fact some enemies are extremely strong and there is no way of me knowing this before they kill me and oops I just lost 45 mins of progress :devilish:
Ok I could have guessed that the T-rex in the first mission is pretty strong, but nevertheless, I got pissed when I did zero damage to it and it did 482 on me with one hit (out of 163), ok so I have to avoid it.

Then on the next mission I was searching for that little missing boy, I played atleast 45 minutes killing all the creatures with Penelo not much difficulties there, then these two werewolves show up and kill us both with one hit!? There is no way! I could have known that those guys must be avoided, I beat characters that looked just as bad as them on the same mission. It is very annoying to lose about 45mins of progress, exprerience points and all the loot! it's very hard to continue straigth after that as it takes another 45 just to get where you already were. So yes I think it has some balance issues :cry:

Libra is your friend. ;) Gives you enemy stats and lvls before you fight them. Don't go on a hunt without it!

Talking to NPCs is a good idea, there are at least 5 in the starting city that tell you to use Libra ;)

Also, there is an item that gives you constant Libra. I basically equipped it on my main character (Ashe) once I got it - very early in the game - and never removed it after that.

Talking to NPCs is a good idea, there are at least 5 in the starting city that tell you to use Libra ;)

Also, there is an item that gives you constant Libra. I basically equipped it on my main character (Ashe) once I got it - very early in the game - and never removed it after that.

Well the characters I spoke never mentioned about Libra, and besides I don't even have a character called Ashe yet. I still think it's a bit weird that there are so powerful monsters so early in the game.

Well the characters I spoke never mentioned about Libra, and besides I don't even have a character called Ashe yet. I still think it's a bit weird that there are so powerful monsters so early in the game.

I think the game is made that way to wake you up and to not make it boring. After killing a bunch of monsters your level, the game would have some high level monsters in the area just to make things more interesting.....some of them you can beat, and some you cannot. *cough* elementals *cough*

The levels on elementals are indeed a bit misleading. I was around level 35 before I managed to beat a level 25 elemental. However, with a bit of luck you can mist-spam them much earlier ;)

You can always run away and out run the strong enemies.

Well you have to know first that they are strong don't you? and I don't think you can escape all the time, sometimes the enemies run at least as fast as the character and they can hit you even if the hit doesn't connect on screen.

Anyways I haven't been able to play very much. I have put about 5.5 hours and I just got Fran and Balthier in my party. I have been enjoying it quite alot. Even the character Vaan is tolerable, which to me was a very pleasent surprise. I had prepared for the worse, but he is not nearly as annoying as Tidus, or basically the whole cast in X-2.

after being so disappointed with FFX........XII is extremely refreshing.
has anyone else made silly comparisons to Star Wars??

Vaan = Luke
Ashe = Leia
Basch = Obi-Wan
Balthier = Han Solo
Fran = Chewie

Penelo = ........um.....nm :D

empire/imperials, bounty hunters, airships/skyships, even a tribal desert race! of course all these can be argued the opposite way, i just found some of these links to be interesting.

This game is great! Man, the GFX are hard to get used to after playin 360 for a year, but it's ok.

I really like the realtime combat system, how you can see big bad ass dudes walk around and you have to be careful that they don't see ya. Anyone beat up that little Trex in the westersands yet? I'm gonna take that guy on when I get home.

LB - don't know what to say man, if you're dying by the coyotes....ouch! All I can think is you must be fighting 3 at a time, which is hard, if you get enough LP's you can piurchase some black magic, once you get that, 2 shots and they're dead.

Last night I took out that giant mutant wolf, Thextera or something, that was a tough battle, had to level up to around LVL 5, then sneak up on him, shot him with Thunder and then just startted running! Had this big mutant wolf chasing me, and 3 of those normal wolves, I just kept running, blasting him with Thunder 4 times.

He then stops because he's almost dead, and readies his cheap-ass 'kill you in one shot' death move, I charged up thunder and then ran in blasting him before he could get off the cheap shot. I was almost dead at that point, but still had 3 wolves chompin at me, healed up and took care of them. Good fight!!

Ya, this game is quite a bit of fun so far.

It gets much better after that Scooby. Once your like 10 hours in and figure out the license board and get gambits it's quite fun. *That T-Rex* won't be dying though if your level 5 ;)

Even with whats-her-name in my party??

I'm about 3.5 hours in, just got Gambits added to my menu, but I have to go buy some I guess...

Even with whats-her-name in my party??

I'm about 3.5 hours in, just got Gambits added to my menu, but I have to go buy some I guess...

Hell no. I went after the T-rex when I was in level 3 and I did zero damage when I hit it, and it gave me 482 out of 163, so I doubt level 5 will do much good...Maybe 15 would be closer to truth.

i've finished the game a couple of days ago, there is still a lot of things i would like to try , for example find the hidden espers, complete the licencing board on all characters, aquire all the spells and techniques and so on, but i had to lend my ps2 to a friend to play the game too.

The game is the best FF after FFVIII , i still hold VIII as the best of the series so far, the gambit system is great, you can accomplish tough boss fights with ease, at the end all my characters were level 48, and i had them through the gambit system to execute:
1)Raise any character
2)curaga if hp<50%
3)Haste
4)protect
5)shell
6)esuna

and a small hint: when you're able to buy the golden amulet, aquire the licence on all of your characters and buy it 6 times and equip it, you'll get double licence points, and you can pretty soon get the 200hp+ and 500hp+ abilities among other things

Hell no. I went after the T-rex when I was in level 3 and I did zero damage when I hit it, and it gave me 482 out of 163, so I doubt level 5 will do much good...Maybe 15 would be closer to truth.

Hehe, 482 damage? Nuff said!

....still I'm gonna go scope out his specs now that I have the Libra ability...maybe he has a weakness...

Hehe, 482 damage? Nuff said!

....still I'm gonna go scope out his specs now that I have the Libra ability...maybe he has a weakness...
don't bother, he doesn't worth the effort, and in case you've wondered.. you can fight him and bigger and stronger dinosaurs later in the game, and NO they're not any trouble at that point

don't bother, he doesn't worth the effort, and in case you've wondered.. you can fight him and bigger and stronger dinosaurs later in the game, and NO they're not any trouble at that point

That's actually something I've noticed, the harder enemies don't seem to be worth it in some cases, they are much harder and only give you a few extra XP points.

For example, teh cactus would take 2 hits and give me 6-7xp, while the coyote, at first, would take like 5 hits, take half my life, and give me maybe 8-9xp. Kinda annoying.

The game is the best FF after FFVIII , i still hold VIII as the best of the series so far

I haven't played 12 enough to say too definite comment about it, but I agree with you that 8 is better than the other FF-games. I know we are in the minority though :smile:
As soon as I finish Gears, I'll be able to start playing 12 seriously.

I haven't played 12 enough to say too definite comment about it, but I agree with you that 8 is better than the other FF-games. I know we are in the minority though :smile:
As soon as I finish Gears, I'll be able to start playing 12 seriously.

Come on...everyone knows that VI is the shit :devilish:

Back