Final Fantasy 12 - Reviews

I almost ordered the US version of this now, thanks to L-B. :D But then I remembered that I'd probably want to slip it into my PS3 eventually too, which wouldn't read it ... it's a tough call, but I guess I'm going to stick with the PAL version for now and will just have to wait. I might still change my mind though. Okami was sold out at the moment (at Play-Asia), which I also wanted. Maybe I'll come back soon. Then again I don't really have the time. Plenty of other fun things I want to be involved in (yes, I haven't forgotten the beyond3d programming thing ;) ), and I'm changing home and job over the next few months too ...

Shifty- With the rather large number of improvements coming to the US version of Rogue Galaxy, you might want to wait until it gets released before asking for a comparison between FFXII and RG. It seems a little unfair when there are going to be numerous improvements to combat and other parts of the game.

I'd also like to say that having seen some of the later dungeons in FFXII, I think the dungeons in the game are spectacular and really do a good job of making you feel like you're in, well, a dungeon!

WHOAH! that's shocking revelation for me. Man I can't remember since it's quite a long time since I played it, are you absolutely sure about that?

FF X actually uses a lot of pre-rendered backgrounds. Most small indoor areas, like inside huts and shops and stuff, were pre-rendered.

I'm loving the game as well, but is it just me, or do the FMV cut scenes look pretty bad? Not that the CGI is sub par in any way, but the video itself seems like it's been compressed all to hell. It's blocky, chunky and somewhat distracting in what is otherwise a beautifully presented game.

I'm loving the game as well, but is it just me, or do the FMV cut scenes look pretty bad? Not that the CGI is sub par in any way, but the video itself seems like it's been compressed all to hell. It's blocky, chunky and somewhat distracting in what is otherwise a beautifully presented game.

I also have a few issues, but it's due to the widescreen aspect ratio. Not sure why it does that.

Ok now this is very shocking and improtant and i'm not sure if it's me or the game... I mean i'm going through a lot, relationships ending, my company being stupid, college being pressurising...

But....

Not sure how to say this...

I was playing FF12 last night and... well, I died.

Four times.

... I never die in games. Especially FF games!

I'm in a state of shock at the moment, i'm not sure i'll be able to get over this.

How about Ghosts and Goblins? Ninja Gaiden? Viewtiful Joe? Halo on Legendary level? Disciples 2? Come on, you must have died several times in these games:oops:

Well i found a solution long time ago for those games: i don't play them.

Seriously though, of course i die in games, rarely, but not like this. 4 times! Consecutively! And in RPGs especially!

It happened in the Westsands or whatever it's called, at the beginning of the game...

Dying in JRPG games is pretty bad. :LOL:

Really? Did you play Shin Megami Tensei Lucifer's Call on the higher difficulty level?

Seriously though, of course i die in games, rarely, but not like this. 4 times! Consecutively! And in RPGs especially!
I have to say I didn't die once in FFVII or Chrono Trigger, but in other RPGs it happened pretty often. Like the last battle in KotOR, many fight in BG2, SMT Lucifer's Call and so on. I don't know what's so special in that.

Really? Did you play Shin Megami Tensei Lucifer's Call on the higher difficulty level?

No, I don't play any games on higher difficulty level. Nor do I play games more than once except if they're RPGs with New Game +. This is due to time constraints and lack of interest.

No, I don't play any games on higher difficulty level.
Why? Games at normal difficulty level are usually not challenging at all:!:
Nor do I play games more than once except if they're RPGs with New Game +. This is due to time constraints and lack of interest.
I dind't play SMT LC twice. Though I tend to play games as long as they are fun and have something new to show, because ~50 euro is not a small amount of money to me (even though I sell part of my games after finishing them).

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. Just thought that the person that says that dying in JRPGs is bad likes some extra challenge in games.;) EoT for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok now this is very shocking and improtant and i'm not sure if it's me or the game... I mean i'm going through a lot, relationships ending, my company being stupid, college being pressurising...

But....

Not sure how to say this...

I was playing FF12 last night and... well, I died.

Four times.

... I never die in games. Especially FF games!

I'm in a state of shock at the moment, i'm not sure i'll be able to get over this.
From where I'm sitting, this sounds like maybe a slightly too large step in the right direction.
I'm actually playing Final Fantasy X-2 right now, which might be considered the direct predecessor (ignoring the MMO), and that game is just ridiculously easy. If you have a white mage you can literally hold X all the time and win every battle, including boss battles, through large portions of the game, and never even use a healing item. You don't even have to let go of the X button between encounters ...

It's so crazy. The combat system is good and fast, it's totally streamlined with all the action pipelining going on, and also deep and complex, but all that it seems to achieve is being a showcase of how dumb random encounters are in FF games. They are extra dumb in X-2 because a)it's non-linear and b)the AP grinding mechanics.

Maybe you should sometimes have a challenge. Something that can kill you. Something that keeps you on your toes and forces you to prepare and battle right, with strategy and stuff.
I want my next JRPG to be a little more strategic and difficult. Maybe the peeps at Square anticipated my wish and just pushed a little too far.

The game started off slow but now it's getting better and better. Granted i'm only 10 hours in. As far as dying goes...I died a few times. Tried to fight a T Rex at level 2 in the game....didn't quite work out well :LOL:

From where I'm sitting, this sounds like maybe a slightly too large step in the right direction.
I'm actually playing Final Fantasy X-2 right now, which might be considered the direct predecessor (ignoring the MMO), and that game is just ridiculously easy. If you have a white mage you can literally hold X all the time and win every battle, including boss battles, through large portions of the game, and never even use a healing item. You don't even have to let go of the X button between encounters ...

I don't know how far you are into that game, or have you completed it before, but I died dozens of times in FF X-2 against the Magus sisters, I have heard that it's the last major battle, I don't know this, because I never beat them... If I remember correctly the place where they are fought, doesn't allow leveling anymore, and If you enter that place with maybe few levels lower than is the optimal, you're in for a big trouble. I think in most Final Fantasies there has been opponent that is very hard unless the player has done some extra work for leveling up( other than just the battles during normal travel) I can't think of any other hard battles in FF X-2 though.

I don't know how far you are into that game, or have you completed it before, but I died dozens of times in FF X-2 against the Magus sisters, I have heard that it's the last major battle, I don't know this, because I never beat them... If I remember correctly the place where they are fought, doesn't allow leveling anymore, and If you enter that place with maybe few levels lower than is the optimal, you're in for a big trouble. I think in most Final Fantasies there has been opponent that is very hard unless the player has done some extra work for leveling up( other than just the battles during normal travel) I can't think of any other hard battles in FF X-2 though.
I still have a good ways to go in the game I think, so some surprises may still come. It's just the experience I had so far really made me wonder why I have to do all this to myself.
I'm just messing around and try to find and complete every side mission I possibly can. That may be the problem. Maybe I'm just another completionist killing his own fun with a game by accidentally grinding too many levels and getting too strong too fast. But then again, if that's a bad thing, I think a game shouldn't be so encouraging of doing it so early.

Says someone who maxed 6 characters and defeated all the dark aeons and that I've-forgotten-his-name-above-the-calm-lands really-final boss in the European release of Final Fantasy X. Imagine how much grinding that was. But it was alright for me, not least because it was after I was done with the game's story progression. It certainly didn't start in the first hour, like it does in X-2.

Speaking of which, how linear is XII?

Says someone who maxed 6 characters and defeated all the dark aeons and that I've-forgotten-his-name-above-the-calm-lands really-final boss in the European release of Final Fantasy X. Imagine how much grinding that was. But it was alright for me, not least because it was after I was done with the game's story progression. It certainly didn't start in the first hour, like it does in X-2.

I did that! I got so leveled up that the dark aeons were easy. Freaky. Lot of work but i loved every second of it.

I sincerely hope that FF12 will be as fun to play through and max out as FF10 was.

Back