Wardevil resurfaces..

one said:
Ah, so it's not a trailer but a demo you could change the camera with a controller. Not as bad as Inane_Dork describes above I think, there are many 720p games that can't reach this level.
It's not a technical deficiency, that much should be easily seen from shots. It's just poor production value.

If they're talking about the same WarDevil demo I saw on the second floor of the Sony booth, it was not playable at all. Just realtime tech demo, like Heavy Rain.

Last edited by a moderator:
aaaaa00 said:
If there talking about the same WarDevil demo I saw on the second floor of the Sony booth, it was not playable at all. Just realtime tech demo, like Heavy Rain.
But it's nice to know this tech will be going into games. Both demos look impressive imho.
The only thing i really dislike in this demo is the guys hair, it looks really iffy.

PiNkY said:
The 1080p shots come with tons of aa samples... I'll believe it's realtime, when i see it running
Actually eyes on reports say that the real time demo lacked AA, maybe the shots are what they are hoping to reach in the final game, which wouldnt be a huge stretch as it already runs smooth in 1080p.

It would also be nice to see this same video from direct feed. The guys making this game say that those screenshots are real.

mckmas8808 said:
What do you mean poor production value?
While the actual surfaces rendered in the video look good and the art style holds up, the rest falls apart. The animation is mediocre, the action is laughable, the sound is boring. If you're going to forego interactivity, the quality of the cinematics/directing should be high.

I was far, far more impressed with Naughty Dog's trailer than Wardevil's.

Shame...

However it is impressive that they run this in 1080p, it's a shame really. There are hardly any tv's that can show 1080p so for now 1080p is very overrated. If you can manage 1080p as a dev, you should throw in more eyecandy and make it 720p.
That's just my stand on it ofcourse.

Inane_Dork said:
While the actual surfaces rendered in the video look good and the art style holds up, the rest falls apart. The animation is mediocre, the action is laughable, the sound is boring. If you're going to forego interactivity, the quality of the cinematics/directing should be high.

I was far, far more impressed with Naughty Dog's trailer than Wardevil's.

Oh yeah your right. They are like the anti-Kojimas when it comes to cinematics that pull you in.:smile:

However it is impressive that they run this in 1080p, it's a shame really. There are hardly any tv's that can show 1080p so for now 1080p is very overrated. If you can manage 1080p as a dev, you should throw in more eyecandy and make it 720p.
That's just my stand on it ofcourse.

Hey at least you get free 2xAA when playing 1080p games on 720p tvs.

Digi-Guys tell Gabe Newell, "PS3 Hype was right!"

October 3rd, 2009 at 4:11 am - Digi-Guys, the developers behind WarDevil, seem to have a lot to say when it comes to the PlayStation 3 and the process of developing for the console's architecture. In a recent interview with Edge Magazine, Andy Whitehurst, founder and senior GC artists, revealed some of the brighter points of developing on the PlayStation 3 as the lead platform for their upcoming title, WarDevil.
"Sony's hype was right," said Andy Whitehurst, before claiming that the PS3's Cell chip is the future of HD gaming as a whole.
"It's advantageous for our thought process. There's better filtering on the Xbox 360 but the whole thing comes together better on PS3," he added while discussing the pre-calculated texture system that the project uses, "it gives us the ability to have an enormous amount of textures on-screen, at a fidelity we can use in 35mm or 65mm formats without altering them."
"It's not dissimilar from many normal industry practices," adds Whitehurst, "but we pushed it in another direction by holding colour, grading, lighting, diffuse, specular and even bump maps in a single PCTS (pre-calculated texture system) data structure. This information lets us separate it into separate channels for complex effects."
The bottom line is, Digi-Guys are pretty much letting Gabe Newell and other anti-PlayStation 3 developers know that the console's architecture IS the future of gaming and that you should probably get used to it. Not only is the hype right, but it will be the foundation of HD gaming for years to come.

http://www.playstationuniversity.com/digi-guys-tell-gabe-newell-ps3-hype-was-right-620/

As I mentioned in another thread where this was raised, until they actually show some realtime footage, there's no point taking anything they say as meaningful. Could all just be hot air at this point.

Rendering what...?

Claims like those surrounding LAIR should be enough to generate a healthy amount of scepticism. Things like trying to attract financial backing will encourage developers to make bold but not-accurately-representative claims of their tech. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, yet at this point all we've seen of the pudding is a nice box, a couple of the instructions needed to make it, and a photograph of what it might look like!

When are they going to release it? It's been ages. Makes me wonder how do they make money all these considering that they have been working for an unreleased title for so long

Yeah, wasnt this like the first nexgen title announced years back for the xbox360/ps3? It also had a better art style in the first trailer before they introduced the Knight style main character. (if thats who he is)

Back