The Last of Us, Part 1 Remaster Remaster [PS5, PC]

Sheesh... yea, this game's performance is currently terrible. (using the included Oodle decom library) I haven't tried the other one yet, as I'm waiting for a link from a more reputable source.

To me, this seems like a case of the game coming in extremely hot to capitalize off the HBO show hype, and they were still far out but managed to get Sony to delay a few weeks but it's still not ready to go..

I'm kinda surprised it released like this... but then again I guess not really..

No, I just don't think ND deemed it worth retooling the engine to maximize performance.

In either case it makes the PC comparison to the PS4 pointless then because either the devs have not put the effort in to optimise the engine generally for anything outside of the PS4 (including PS5) as you're suggesting, or there are fundamental changes/upgrades to the engine for the newer platforms which make it heavier on both PC and PS5 like I think is more likely.

I'm not saying the pc may not have performance issues vs PS5 as well (I'll await some reliable benchmarking before going to far down the rabbit hole on that one), but I just don't think the PS4 comparison holds much value.

Last edited:
It seems ND release the game with a buggy oddle library(2.9.6) with memory leak. It seems change the oodle library to 2.9.5 solve crash problem, very long shader compilation and inconsistent performance. But the game is demanding.

The game is scaling above 8 cores

My experience on 9900k/3080/16 ram is crashing a million times in the menu while i wait for those damn shaders to compile which take a million hours. Others are saying the vram from 3080 is only good for medium textures. That you need 12 gigs for high. The mouse implementation seems to be broken from reading various reports. Which personally is the most annoying thing. I play exclusively with mouse and keyboard and these tools is one of the main reason i game on PC. Every console game ever that comes to PC has a chance to be experienced in a very different and pottentialy transformative way just by using m/kb instead of a pad. If you fuck that most crucial aspect right out the gate, what even is the point ? To just mimick a console playing style but on PC ?

I wouldnt botter covering the game as it is, since it will very likely receive some major patches that should change the game pretty much. I'd wait a few weeks to see where things stand then before covering

You guys have any idea how the heck I can cover this? I am seriously asking for advice here as all the user reports here point to such a myriad of issues, I am not even sure where to begin.
The game has a myriad of extra settings over the PS5, let's cover the differences above PS5 first, then the usual scaling of settings, quick comparison to PS5 at same settings, then general performance on select GPUs.

My experience on 9900k/3080/16 ram is crashing a million times in the menu while i wait for those damn shaders to compile which take a million hours.
Crahes happen because the game has memory leaks, it eats RAM and VRAM for breakfast, replace the Oodle file and things should improve.

Last edited:
You guys have any idea how the heck I can cover this? I am seriously asking for advice here as all the user reports here point to such a myriad of issues, I am not even sure where to begin.

What are your experiences like?
I would say just report on your own personal experience on whatever hardware you test on.

If you can verify the performance/crashing/long compilation time issues for yourself then I'd just put a short holding piece out saying that you're aware of them and if a patch comes in to fix the worst of it over the next week or so then you'll do a full review of the patched version. Otherwise, it should probably be skipped. I do fully expect a patch to resolve a lot of the problems based on buggy oodle library thing so hopefully we shouldn't have to wait too long.

I think I'd just make a quick overview video of the main issues the game has and call for them to fix it.

Comparisons of the visual settings and with PS5 is currently meaningless as the issues the game has makes it not worth a purchase on PC as it stands.

Say you'll revisit it in the future after some patches and go from there.

I would try to help narrow what the true issues are, help separate signal from noise that is being thrown out there from user reports. Then knowing those, develop test areas for consistent trouble areas that can be tested again when the new patch is released.

Maybe it would have been better if Sony just ported TLOU remastered onto PC instead and kept part 1 for PS5 owners 😂

Tbh, I think a lot of people would have taken that as long as the game came out properly optimized instead of a mess like this PC port seems to be. Atleast then you could claim the game could run on a potato at this point with ultra high resolutions and fps beyond the PS3 and PS4 versions

It doesn’t seem worth your time unless you want to shame the developer into action. Should probably wait for a few patches so that your work isn’t immediately invalidated.

Your not here to be collating user reports, work a rounds etc
It's not currently in a state for you to analyse. Unless you want to do all that work to have to then scrap it when patch comes out.
Cover it in DF weekly saying why no coverage.

I'm sure you've got other work you can be getting on with. A GDC coverage going over some of the highlights from your pov etc.

I would highly recommend to wait for at least 1 patch so ND can at least address the crashes and rumored memory leaks issue.

On a 4090 + 13900K, the game runs well, as in no shader compilation stutters or crashes or any other weirdness but it is heavy. Very heavy even.

There are many many options so I imagine it'll take you a while to go through this.

Back