GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a significant graphical improvement but with an enormous performance impact - probably why the devs chose to leave it out as default. The game features no upscaling tech to mitigate this, but if you have an NV card you can at least use NIS to get playable framerates and half decent image quality.
Just like you can with FSR or RSR if you have Radeon. Pretty sure Intel will want to join the party too eventually and include similar options.

The mentioning of NVIDIA is not due to their upscaling tech, but their vastly superior RT performance, pretty sure none of the AMD cards will provide palyable fps even with FSR in this title.
I might try it tomorrow on 6800 XT.

Some RT optimization techniques presented by AMD research

AMD's Ray Tracing Research (YouTube)

Slides: GPUOpen - AMD’S RAY TRACING RESEARCH (PDF)

The path traced spatio-temporal resampling stuff coming out now is getting into 30-60 fps territory on current hardware.

I wonder if 4A games is going to do anything like that for PC in the next Metro. They seem to be the only devs willing to embrace RT full on. If I’m not mistaken Exodus is still the only game using RT probe GI.

So, Hitman 1 (2016) and Hitman 2 (2018) all received ray tracing updates alongside Hitman 3's recent update, and after revisiting some of the old missions I can't even fathom how people considered the planar reflections in the game as a suitable replacement to ray traced ones!

The Planar reflections were limited to very few surfaces, had lower quality shading (lighting/shadows) for reflections, discarded a lot of objects/animations from reflections, draw distance inside those reflections was very limited too! On the other hand, Ray Traced reflections had none of those limitations, they extended to all surfaces, curved or otherwise, covered all objects, and had crazy draw distance. There is simply no comparison whatsoever quality wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back