Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Actually, in 40fps mode it's vrr too, but makes little sense because of a range (48-120).
It will switch between 40 and >48fps and look inconsistent.
From what I understand that 48fps is when FLC doubles the framerate below 60fps in 120Hz modes.
So it get a fps of 24 and double it to 48fps (because it is less than 60fps) so the range of VRR is indeed 48-120Hz but due FLC put everything below 60fps as doubled.

So when Miles Morales send 40fps it is understand by the TV as 80fps due FLC.
But FLC only works in 120Hz modes.

60Hz modes doesn't have FLC so it is really 48 to 60 range.

Edit - The issue I see with PS5 implementation of VRR is not allowing to force 120Hz mode to all games... so that way due FLC the range is virtually 24 to 120 (because FLC repeat the frames on everything below 60fps to make it over 48).

Xbox did it better... you can Force 120Hz do all games so it 40-120Hz range works on 20fps+ due FLC.

Last edited:
From what I understand that 48fps is when FLC doubles the framerate below 60fps in 120Hz modes.
So it get a fps of 24 and double it to 48fps (because it is less than 60fps) so the range of VRR is indeed 48-120 but due FLC put everything below 60fps as doubled.

So when Miles Morales send 40fps it is understand by the TV as 80fps due FLC.
But FLC only works in 120Hz modes.

60Hz modes doesn't have FLC so it is really 48 to 60 range.
lfc should be triggered below avialble range 48-120 so below 48fps but it doesn't in ps5 and devs need to specialy code to have this effect as insomniac did with 40fps mode, not best implementation but maybe will change if further firmware updates

lfc should be triggered below avialble range 48-120 so below 48fps but it doesn't in ps5 and devs need to specialy code to have this effect as insomniac did with 40fps mode, not best implementation but maybe will change if further firmware updates
It does trigger it in 120Hz... remember FLC only works in 120Hz mode.
PS5 has most of games in 60Hz mode and so there is no FLC working.

Insomniac 40fps mode is a 120Hz mode... that is why it works... so VRR works as low as 24fps as game render (because FLC makes the TV understand as 48fps).

If Sony put a force 120Hz option like MS did with Xbox it will make FLC works in all games that have fps between 24 and 60.

It does trigger it in 120Hz... remember FLC only works in 120Hz mode.
PS5 has most of games in 60Hz mode and so there is no FLC working.

Insomniac 40fps mode is a 120Hz mode... that is why it works... so VRR works as low as 24fps as game render (because FLC makes the TV understand as 48fps).
no it doesnt without dev integration

I explained the reason.
Because games are running in 60Hz mode and there is no FLC in 60Hz mode... it is not broken... the TV is doing exactly what is do be done.
You need to change to 120Hz mode to FLC works but Sony doesn't have an option for that... so devs needs to patch to change their 60Hz modes in 120Hz modes like Insommiac did.

Miles Morales 40fps mode is a 120Hz mode.
While the 30fps mode is 60Hz mode... most games on PS5 uses 60Hz mode... the TV needs to shift to 120Hz mode that will only works in games that tells it is outputting in 120Hz.

Sony should offer an option to force 120Hz output at system level.

I explained the reason.
Because games are running in 60Hz mode and there is no FLC in 60Hz mode.
You need to change to 120Hz mode to FLC works but Sony doesn't have an option for that... so devs needs to patch to change their 60Hz modes in 120Hz modes like Insommiac did.

Miles Morales 40fps mode is a 120Hz mode.
While the 30fps mode is 60Hz mode... most games on PS5 uses 60Hz mode... the TV needs to shift to 120Hz mode that will only works in games that tells it is outputting in 120Hz.

Sony should offer an option to force 120Hz output at system level.
watch video, he tested Ghostwire Tokyo in 120hz mode ;)

can these fluctuating refreshes cause damage to the TV in the long term ?
I think should be fine. The TV physically refreshes always at the same speed. When the image is received to update the screen is the only thing VRR affects from what I understand.

I am a bit confused. Didnt have time to watch the full thing. But what I understood is that, while he was testing the PC game with LFC, there is no perceived stuttering below 48fps but game response does seem to feel off.
Without LFC you also get stutter and the unresponsiveness. So Sony prefers just to have VRR for games that fall in a supported framerate?

I am a bit confused. Didnt have time to watch the full thing. But what I understood is that, while he was testing the PC game with LFC, there is no perceived stuttering below 48fps but game response does seem to feel off.
Without LFC you also get stutter and the unresponsiveness. So Sony prefers just to have VRR for games that fall in a supported framerate?
sony just didn't bother with lfc implementation in system level (has to be done by devs) ;d doublilng frames below vrr range will feel little off but still better than just lack of vrr

sony just didn't bother with lfc implementation in system level (has to be done by devs) ;d doublilng frames below vrr range will feel little off but still better than just lack of vrr
Is it so hard to support LFC?n Or is there a hardware limitation?

Is it so hard to support LFC?n Or is there a hardware limitation?

Sony's half-hearted efforts towards supporting something they really had no intentions of supporting (i.e., wasting time and money on a feature that's not readily available on the vast majority of TVs).

No, Sony's too busy supporting real features that gamers want... like immersive haptic feedback and controller touchpad. /s :rolleyes:

Sony's half-hearted efforts towards supporting something they really had no intentions of supporting (i.e., wasting time and money on a feature that's not readily available on the vast majority of TVs).

No, Sony's too busy supporting real features that gamers want... like immersive haptic feedback and controller touchpad. /s :rolleyes:
I adore the haptic feedback. As for the former, well it would have been interesting if we heard it directly from the horse's mouth than make our own assumptions.
But it is a bit of a shame. Sony impressed me with a lot of forward thinking and the quality of the system this generation.
But I am perplexed by how slow they are moving or how incomplete some features are implemented.
MS besides the controller, unless I am missing something, implemented everything almost in perfection. But of course having hugely more resources helps. But still.

Back