Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Beyond the obvious costs of developing and maintaining a cutting edge engine, there are more savings to be had by using unreal because it includes things like a physics engine and other things CDPR were paying royalties on. Isn't the whole Oodle suit now free to use in Unreal Engine? I feel like I read that a while ago but couldn't find a press release for it. CP2077 boots to a screen full of licensee logos, and I'm sure combined they cost an amount that is somewhat substantial.

I wonder if Sony first-party studios other than Bend Studio's (well, there is a rumor their next game will based on Guerillas Decima Engine though) will ever adopt the Unreal Engine? Or, does Sony studios find it more useful to develop their own tools on creating a more bespoke PS hardware oriented game engine?

Anyhow, I would love to see UE5 used by one of Sony's triple-A first-party studios, similar to The Coalition's mastery of the Unreal Engine across the Gears of War series. I believe the next Gear's title is going to be a real jaw dropper. :yep2:

Jeez, sounds like a good decision to move to UE5 then...
Maybe UE5 will usher-in a new era: studios remaster games by porting to UE5.

Seriously, I wonder what the bottlenecks would really be in that situation? Scripting?

I wonder if Sony first-party studios other than Bend Studio's (well, there is a rumor their next game will based on Guerillas Decima Engine though) will ever adopt the Unreal Engine? Or, does Sony studios find it more useful to develop their own tools on creating a more bespoke PS hardware oriented game engine?

It must surely be easier to get new recruits up to speed if they are familiar with industry standard engines and tools compared to getting them up to speed with your engine and your own tools. But who knows. Kojima knocked out Death Stranding pretty damn quick on Guerilla's Decima engine and we're seen a bunch of the tools that they used for Horizon Zero Dawn and they all looked pretty sound. Watching them create great chunks of landscape looked ludicrously easy, unlike say Bethesda's CreationKit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Information and screenshots: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/wJvbWZ
Daniel Martinger said:
A small cellar in the countryside in Sweden, where an older man spends his time doing carpentry. I have created everything from scratch, No photoscans used. except the rusty metaltexture on the "Tool Wall" And the GroundTexture(They are from Quixel). I used Zbrush, Substance Painter And Maya For Assets and Tiling Textures.

I have always wanted to have my own little workshop in the basement. I really Like older Environments without modern technology. Environments before I was born. It feels like it was better back then.

My goal was to explore Unreal Engine 5. I Have never used Unreal before so it was really nice getting to know the engine and explore its power. This project is Rendered In Unreal Engine 5 Preview, using Pathtracing. Lumen version in progress for comparison.

Love the shaky cam, adds so much more to the realism rather than on rails. It also contributed so much to Ride 4 photorealism, cant understand why its not used in car games for the rear cam rather than a static one which always looks naff and unrealistic to me

First, before I say the next thing, I love the aesthetics of this, it's really well done.

However, for me personally, it's not watchable, I'm getting a lot of eye strain and a bit of a headache because everything is blurry and not in focus (to me). My eyes are constantly trying to bring the things in the video into focus but they can't because there's rarely anything in there that doesn't have enough blur that my eyes can actually focus on. Shame. Times like this, I wish I wasn't so sensitive to blur because I can appreciate the work that went into it, but I can't actually watch it.

Regards,
SB

There's no game and no NPCs to speak of, but even so, it's impressive that six person team can throw together a demo like that.
I'm not sure it looks much more than a stock asset store city block with a few custom extra models in early stages of modeling.

I don't know if "look at the state of that!" is just a British English phrase, but it means the thing you're refering to is a total mess. It's all I can think about when reading 'State of Unreal'. :D

Hopefully what we'll get from the presentation are some early looks a larger budget UE5 titles and a bit of insight into their production.

Back