What should Sony's Acquisition Plans Be? *spawn*

Welcome to the era when Sony entered gaming market :LOL:

s5tde1y81pw41.png

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-...sony-beat-nintendo-and-sega-at-their-own-game

''The ultimate console war: How Sony beat Nintendo and Sega at their own game''

Competition man, it is what it is. Go big or go home, thats how things roll unfortunately. Atleast, Sega remains a software publisher/developer, they got blown out of the hardware business along time ago.

Edit: The PS2 was arguably the best console ever in existance. Sony could dominate the competition, so they did.

If your upset that Acitvision will be part of Microsoft you should be mad at activision. They apparently went to multiple companies first before MS entered into the agreement to purchase.
Why is this in reply to me? I'm not expressing my upset but trying to explain the qualitative difference between Sony's purchases and MS's to those who struggle to understand why the response to MS's acquisitions is different to Sony's. Some people can only see the difference in response as platform bias where there's good, neutral reasons to see them differently based on business practices and market impact, regardless of which business is involved.

It might be lack of imagination on my part, but I'm expecting Sony's strategy might be similar to what it's been so far. Fund big budget development with interesting developers. Maintain that relationship over several games/years and then buy them.

They'll try and be the HBO of gaming, for want of a better term.

It might be lack of imagination on my part, but I'm expecting Sony's strategy might be similar to what it's been so far. Fund big budget development with interesting developers. Maintain that relationship over several games/years and then buy them.

Probably. If they partner with Stadia (like use it as a whitelabel service) and will continue putting some time exclusive games on the platform + their own franchises - they can be pretty decent.

Sony should and probably is going to continue with their strong AAA exclusives, in special the marvel/superhero titles which draw alot of public/attention/sales. That and their brand name in europe/japan are their strongest weapons. Sony Playstation isnt going anywhere anytime soon, thats for sure. Not untill physical consoles become services/software houses etc.

Basically it, rely on quality 1st party games, original IPs like Ghosts, TLOU, GoW or GT and then expand with either specific collaborations or 3rd party games. If Sony doesn't go for their own thing on PC, which I highly doubt as they already have the PSNow app, they could try to partner with Valve or Epic for areas they can't cover on their own, specially if they feel threatened by MS trying to push gamepass down their throats.

edit: regarding Valve, I think there was a rumour that Alyx will be ported to PSVR2, so maybe they have something in the works already.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe somebody also thought that Sony might build their own launcher on PC eventually.

Yeah, they already have the PSNow launcher, so it's concibable they launch a PS Store for PC.

The question is who is going to support that, Epic is throwing millions into their store and the engagement rate doesn't seem to be very high, although it is true that they have a much larger exclusive catalogue but I don't see them pulling games from Steam and Epic, so it's going to be hard to diferentiate their own platform unless they lock PS +++ to it.

Ideally they would try to innovate a bit to make some noise, best option would be to start considering a single license for games. Meaning that something bought on PS Store can be reedemed on Steam maybe with a small transaction cost. I don't see them going this way but decoupling licenses from stores would be the most pro consumer decision of the past decade. Real pro-consumer choice and not bells and whistles.

Yeah, they already have the PSNow launcher, so it's concibable they launch a PS Store for PC.
I personally did not even know that PS Now is on PC :LOL:

The question is who is going to support that, Epic is throwing millions into their store and the engagement rate doesn't seem to be very high, although it is true that they have a much larger exclusive catalogue but I don't see them pulling games from Steam and Epic, so it's going to be hard to diferentiate their own platform unless they lock PS +++ to it.

Ideally they would try to innovate a bit to make some noise, best option would be to start considering a single license for games. Meaning that something bought on PS Store can be reedemed on Steam maybe with a small transaction cost. I don't see them going this way but decoupling licenses from stores would be the most pro consumer decision of the past decade. Real pro-consumer choice and not bells and whistles.
I am personally not sure if just having exclusives will pull players into Playstation launcher. PC gamers lived without Sony exclusives for years. And EGS exclusivity just annoyed people and still in the end Steam grew, while EGS did not. Also it will conflict with EGS as Square Enix likes moneyhats from both of them:yep2:

I personally did not even know that PS Now is on PC :LOL:

I am personally not sure if just having exclusives will pull players into Playstation launcher. PC gamers lived without Sony exclusives for years. And EGS exclusivity just annoyed people and still in the end Steam grew, while EGS did not. Also it will conflict with EGS as Square Enix likes moneyhats from both of them:yep2:

Right now is a big if, truth is EA and Ubi stores were hated and they both have basically comeback to Steam. My guess is that they'll have their own store with some specific deals but their streaming apps, games and whatever sub service they come up to will be available on exiting PC platforms.

Right now is a big if, truth is EA and Ubi stores were hated and they both have basically comeback to Steam. My guess is that they'll have their own store with some specific deals but their streaming apps, games and whatever sub service they come up to will be available on exiting PC platforms.
In theory with subscription having your own store is still beneficial because eventually you can introduce some subscription service there even with releases on Steam.
So probably PS Now will stay and will be enriched but games will still go to Steam. Probably.

Why is this in reply to me? I'm not expressing my upset but trying to explain the qualitative difference between Sony's purchases and MS's to those who struggle to understand why the response to MS's acquisitions is different to Sony's. Some people can only see the difference in response as platform bias where there's good, neutral reasons to see them differently based on business practices and market impact, regardless of which business is involved.
He thinks that we talk as fanboys. Basically he is projecting his character on others. At this point I dont believe a meaningful discussion can be made. It doesnt matter how factual you are if it doesnt serve the narrative he wants. Have an objective view of the subject that goes against what he wants and you are the one branded "upset" or "biased"

@cheapchips Those aren't PS5 DualSense controllers, they're missing a bunch of buttons like the PlayStation button, Menu, Share - and DualSense's very very visible speaker is also missing. This is a simple generic controller design that happens to look similar to the DualSense.

@cheapchips Those aren't PS5 DualSense controllers, they're missing a bunch of buttons like the PlayStation button, Menu, Share - and DualSense's very very visible speaker is also missing. This is a simple generic controller design that happens to look similar to the DualSense.

I wasn't paying attention to that tbh. More the Ghosts bit. However, they are doing a Ghost film so maybe it was something do with that.

The point is that it is useless to appeal to economic or whatever unfairness it is if Sony itself behaves this way if not worse (Sony is a notorious bully in the gaming industry)

I see a lot of people are trying to victimize Sony, but for obvious reason they are not getting any sympathy.
I dont think you understood the forums in which you are posting.

If you want console war type and fanboy discussion there are plenty of other forums and console warriors to discuss with

I dont think you understood the forums in which you are posting.

If you want console war type and fanboy discussion there are plenty of other forums and console warriors to discuss with

and, just to add an additional point, I don’t believe half of the post here are remotely close to the content/objective of the thread. Sadly last year and a half a lot of content I’m reading here is directly trolling or concern trolling.

Back