Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

All I know is when I insta-die across the map to some precision weapon I blame it on m&k :LOL:

So they upped the XP greatly, I dont know, next problem is the rewards seem weak.

Now we have cheaters evidently filtering in and no way to go console only.

I guess I'll still play with as my non destiny MP shooter but yeah. It's not close to D2 for me.

All I know is when I insta-die across the map to some precision weapon I blame it on m&k :LOL:

So they upped the XP greatly, I dont know, next problem is the rewards seem weak.

Now we have cheaters evidently filtering in and no way to go console only.

I guess I'll still play with as my non destiny MP shooter but yeah. It's not close to D2 for me.

far more likely you’re facing a pc player with a controller. I saw a clip of snipedown finishing a match with 80% accuracy.

far more likely you’re facing a pc player with a controller. I saw a clip of snipedown finishing a match with 80% accuracy.
or a PC player with a controller and cheats enabled LOL.

I have so many doubts now, I'm always reviewing tapes. No one should be able to hold down AR from midrange and just gun me down. The bloom is too much.

or a PC player with a controller and cheats enabled LOL.

I have so many doubts now, I'm always reviewing tapes. No one should be able to hold down AR from midrange and just gun me down. The bloom is too much.

Honestly the gamepad is basically an aimbot in halo. Just watch any high level players and they shoot over 60% with the BR regularly and they frequently 4 burst like the auto aim is on the head. Some controller players get really mad when it's brought up, but that guy who dug through the numbers on that reddit thread basically proved it. You'd frequently see former mouse and keyboard pros like Shroud say competitive should never mix gamepad and mouse and keyboard because it'll be impossible to balance. And long-time Halo pros like Snipedown know mouse and keyboard doesn't stand a chance in Halo.

Last edited:
I'm very much enjoying this beta, but I'm pretty terrible at it and consistently near the bottom. I'm slowly getting better and I'm 10th on my team out of 12 now instead of 12th. :)

I'd love to hear peoples' tips for getting better. I have my FOV at 110 and I'm slowly getting used the the Bumper Jumper pad layout so I can keep my thumbs on the sticks, but I could use more advice...

Honestly the gamepad is basically an aimbot in halo. Just watch any high level players and they shoot over 60% with the BR regularly and they frequently 4 burst like the auto aim is on the head. Some controller players get really mad when it's brought up, but that guy who dug through the numbers on that reddit thread basically proved it. You'd frequently see former mouse and keyboard pros like Shroud say competitive should never mix gamepad and mouse and keyboard because it'll be impossible to balance. And long-time Halo pros like Snipedown know mouse and keyboard doesn't stand a chance in Halo.

Yea the mid and long range controller aim assist really helps with doming people. And the maps are usually 3 lanes, so it makes it quite effective. I am noticing I lose out to controller players in situations where we aren’t in CQC

The controller is superior when using aim-assist which is in the aimbot/hacks area of things. Not all that surprising. If this gets more and more popular then cheats will become the norm for multiplayer games. Sounds kinda boring.

Yea the mid and long range controller aim assist really helps with doming people. And the maps are usually 3 lanes, so it makes it quite effective. I am noticing I lose out to controller players in situations where we aren’t in CQC

Honestly I think gamepad wins up close unless you can really get so close that you can turn them around. You can strafe pretty rapidly in halo, it's almost an instant change in directions. Gamepad players can rapidly strafe side to side and keep their accuracy much easier than a mouse and keyboard that's trying to counter strafe and not lose their aim at the same time. It's just what Halo is. For now I'm trying to get Diamond on the open playlist and see how hard that is, but after that I'm just going to play on the mouse and keyboard playlist.

Honestly I think gamepad wins up close unless you can really get so close that you can turn them around. You can strafe pretty rapidly in halo, it's almost an instant change in directions. Gamepad players can rapidly strafe side to side and keep their accuracy much easier than a mouse and keyboard that's trying to counter strafe and not lose their aim at the same time. It's just what Halo is. For now I'm trying to get Diamond on the open playlist and see how hard that is, but after that I'm just going to play on the mouse and keyboard playlist.
lol damn that makes me sad, I don't think I could switch to pad and outdo my PC performance, but I could be wrong.

lol damn that makes me sad, I don't think I could switch to pad and outdo my PC performance, but I could be wrong.

Yah. There are multiple layers of aim assist. In halo on controller you don't actually need to have your reticle on your target for the bullets to hit. They can hit even if the circle outlining your reticle is on your target. Then you have have kind of an aim slowdown where your right stick sensitivity lowers as your reticle moves across your target. That's so you can have higher sense and turn and move, but finer controller when you're aiming at a target. The last one is what people call rotational aim assist, which is what helps in strafe battles. If you are strafing side to side with the left stick the aim assist will actually rotate your player to keep your reticle somewhat on your target. So essentially what you want to do is strafe quickly while shooting and not actually touch your right stick at all, or as little as possible. Then all of your layers of aim assist do the work for you.

It makes sense. Gamepad shooters probably wouldn't be much fun to play without aim assist. Like, Rainbow Six Siege does not have aim assist on console (I don't think), but that game is all about holding angles with near instant ttk. For an arena game it would be pretty much unplayable without aim assist. I always hated the halo games and how slow they were, but it was designed around the limitations of the input. Not sure if aim assist has gotten stronger or weaker over time, but it's probably become a little more smartly implemented so you can have faster games like COD, Apex and Halo Infinite which has sprint and slide.

One thing I'm noticing when watching people play competitive FPS nowadays, people are just generally really bad at them.

I hardly ever see people constantly looking around while moving around the environment.

Like back in the day there was 2 basic movements while moving
  • While running. Jump in the air - 180 degrees to look behind you - 180 degrees to look back the direction you are going before you land. This conserves momentum while allowing you to check behind.
  • While running. Jump in the air - 45-ish degrees to look to the right or left - 180 degress to look to the opposite side - 45-ish degrees to look back in the direction you are going before you land.
And then variations off of those 2 very basic movement skills depending on the environment. It surprises me how many people in COD, Halo, BF, Apex, Etc. get caught by people running up behind them because they don't look around nearly enough when moving. For slower more tactical shooters do the same thing without jumping.

That should never ever happen without engaging that person or should only happen if you are already engaged with another opponent.

Man, if I didn't have my slow ass old man reflexes... I just want to hop in and school these people. :p

Regards,
SB

You'd frequently see former mouse and keyboard pros like Shroud say competitive should never mix gamepad and mouse and keyboard because it'll be impossible to balance.
Of course its impossible.
Surely theres enough players on servers now given that its the initial hype phase that the games can separate into either only mouse players in one game and only controller players in one game, perhaps in 6 months time after the hype (and player count drops) then they may have to look at combining mouse & gamepad in the same game

they are impossible to balance, but kinda okay to be together in proper matchmaking.

so for example Highly skilled KB/M player would never be matched with gamepad players. While Low skilled KB/M players can be matched with gamepad players.

but in practice it became hard to apply because people group together with people with various skill levels. Highly skilled KB/M player grouped with low skilled KB/M players, etc. If the player pools are large enough, this still can be done but the matchmaking will take more time than (and search wider) than if simply disabling cross control methods play.

It's not a huge issue except in real tournament play where money is involved. By design, mouse and keyboard players will not be able to compete. The main ranked playlist is also the "Open" one with crossplay. I think a lot of mouse and keyboard players will be discouraged by it and basically quit. Playing at a disadvantage will turn a lot of people on pc off the game. I expect the PC numbers to be impacted significantly. There is a mouse-only ranked queue, but for some reason it's solo/duo queuing only. So you can't get a team of four players on mouse and keys and queue in mouse and keys only. Honestly the ranked is kind of shit. Console players shouldn't have to play ranked against PC. Mouse and keys shouldn't have to play ranked against gamepads. Console games get polluted by cheats from PC, and just the pay-to-win aspect of high performance PCs. When you have competition, the playing field should be as level as possible.

For casual quick play matchmaking, I don't think any of this really applies, except for the fact that the game seems to take the approach of balancing teams, vs balancing all players to the same level. You can have a diamond, a platinum, a gold and a silver all on the same team as long as the other team has the same mix. Those silvers aren't going to have a lot of fun. I've been in games with that mix in ranked. Quick play basically works the same way.

It's not a huge issue except in real tournament play where money is involved. By design, mouse and keyboard players will not be able to compete. The main ranked playlist is also the "Open" one with crossplay. I think a lot of mouse and keyboard players will be discouraged by it and basically quit. Playing at a disadvantage will turn a lot of people on pc off the game. I expect the PC numbers to be impacted significantly. There is a mouse-only ranked queue, but for some reason it's solo/duo queuing only. So you can't get a team of four players on mouse and keys and queue in mouse and keys only. Honestly the ranked is kind of shit. Console players shouldn't have to play ranked against PC. Mouse and keys shouldn't have to play ranked against gamepads. Console games get polluted by cheats from PC, and just the pay-to-win aspect of high performance PCs. When you have competition, the playing field should be as level as possible.

Its just to counter that by injecting (perhaps paid) cheats aswell? Or just play with the controller on pc if you want the aimbot (i assume you can enable it when you connect a controller).

Its just to counter that by injecting (perhaps paid) cheats aswell? Or just play with the controller on pc if you want the aimbot (i assume you can enable it when you connect a controller).

I mean, most people don't want to cheat and most people don't want to play on controller just because they have to. I really just think they need to make a better mouse and keyboard queue for pc, and probably do something to protect console players from cheaters on PC.

I mean, most people don't want to cheat and most people don't want to play on controller just because they have to. I really just think they need to make a better mouse and keyboard queue for pc, and probably do something to protect console players from cheaters on PC.

Controller users can have aimbot on pc aswell, i assume? Its not so much about the console or pc platforms in that case, i think or again, assume xbox players are able to plugin kb/m aswell? Anyway, by letting one control input having cheats, it would potentionally drive for cheats by 3rd parties for those that swear by kb/m.
I mean, the devs probably want to balance it out since kb/m vs controller isnt going to work out so well if theres no aimbots involved, they cant enable it on kb/m aswell since then it would be unfair again. Either they need to tweak it or have dedicated servers for kb/m and controller users, atleast have that option.

I really like Halo over BF2042, but cheats are something thats a no-go for me in online MP gaming, no matter where they come from. Havent laid any time on Halo yet (aside from some test runs), but i hope its not a unbalanced MP experience. I'd hate to have to revert to the buggy mess that BF2042 is.

Yes, you get aim assist on controller whether you're playing on pc or console. Aim assist is not cheating. First person shooters would be so clunky and horrible to play without it.

This has weirdly not received much attention by gaming news sites today. Some gamers have discovered a desync issue between Halo Infinite's local client and server's perception of what players are doing in game. This started gaining traction on Reddit yesterday, then 343 responded confirming the issue.

The video in the article demonstrates in footage how much drift can quickly be introduced.

So now when you miss that headshot, just blame desync. :yes:

Back