Intel ARC GPUs, Xe Architecture for dGPUs [2018-2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
that packed math alone would not suffice
Intel-XeSS-Super-Resolution.jpg

Arguing with the IHV slideware again huh

And as @Bondrewd said, Intel's gaming devrels aren't up to par with AMD or Nvidia, so trying to insert another exclusive AI-driven supersampling into random games this late into the game doesn't exactly sound like a recipe for success to me.
They can always try.

It would be in both AMD and Intel's best interests to stop a nvidia-exclusive tech like DLSS from ever becoming a de facto standard of upsampling/reconstruction on PC gaming.
The best way to do it would be to offer decent, open-source and/or IHV-agnostic competition. A path which FSR already started.

FSR? FSR didnt start anything. Games supported upscaling since years. FSR is a marketing tool which will die shortly.
An open source AI driven approach will have the same problems like DLSS. And it has to perform at least as good on nVidia hardware as DLSS.

FSR is a marketing tool which will die shortly.
Far more likely to be supplanted by FSR 2.0 next year which will be TSS with some AI as well possibly.
There won't be an "open source IHV agnostic" approach for upscaling since such upscaling will always be made by some vendor and will run differently on different h/w.

- enable anti-mining at a silicon level.
I neither know what mining algorithms do, nor did i follow NVs tricks to throttle mining perf., but: Is it possible to throttle a certain algorithm, while not affecting any other algorithms, on a general purpose processor? I'd naively guess the answer is no.
Previous Kaplanyan's super-resolution work at Facebook was horribly slow, 18.3 ms at 1080p
No fair comparison because they did upscale by a factor of 4, while current games methods use at most 2. So the fb method generates at least 4 times more pixels.
Also 4x upscale seems really much harder than just 2. I was very impressed from the results, but idk how much temporal subpixel information they use.

Last edited:
I neither know what mining algorithms do, nor did i follow NVs tricks to throttle mining perf., but: Is it possible to throttle a certain algorithm, while not affecting any other algorithms, on a general purpose processor? I'd naively guess the answer is no.
Haven't seen reports of perf regression from LHR GeForces. As long as it's a very specific algo and it's enough to throttle it during a few minutes, it should work. It's not like you'd have to detect a power virus instantly in order to save the card.

Haven't seen reports of perf regression from LHR GeForces. As long as it's a very specific algo and it's enough to throttle it during a few minutes, it should work. It's not like you'd have to detect a power virus instantly in order to save the card.
Sounds i could calculate one frame of PacMan every second to crack mining detection >:)

Arguing with the IHV slideware again huh
Have not seen this slide, so thanks, but I am not arguing with the "conceptual illustration purposes only" slides.
I am talking about the issues with low precision modes, something which nobody would want to highlight in marketing slides or in the academia papers on "low precision" research.

As for perf, DP4A takes 2.2x more time, this translates into something like 3-4x more time on NN's execution, matches quite well with expectations, i.e. theoretical difference in ops numbers between DP4A and XMX.
These bars are useless though, there is 0 information on actual frame times, so whether that DP4A mode is productizable for real games has to be proven, a lot of issues to solve with precision, performance, post-processing and generalization.

The best way to do it would be to offer decent, open-source and/or IHV-agnostic competition
Will be entertaining to see how open sourcing NN's training environment with data sets and all related quirks will accelerate adoption, there are so many data scientists with graphics engineering skills in game development that everybody would love to learn all that stuff immediately.

No fair comparison because they did upscale by a factor of 4, while current games methods use at most 2. So the fb method generates at least 4 times more pixels.
DLSS performance scales with output resolution, not input, 720p upscaling to 4K takes the same time as 1440p upscaling to 4K. The question is whether FB method is any different in this regard.

Also 4x upscale seems really much harder than just 2. I was very impressed from the results, but idk how much temporal subpixel information they use.
It's not.
TSR handles arbitrary input resolutions for example. It's just that quality at 25% rendering resolution is beyond bad.
FB method wasn't good with such input resolution either, it produced tons of wobbling on edges, something nobody would ever want to see in VR since any temporal instability causes motion sickness in VR.

I think the comparison of FSR to FXAA as if it was a "bad thing" and how "it will quickly be forgotten" is really funny. Only one year after having its source code released to the public, FXAA was the most widely used form of AA in the whole market, due to how resource-efficient it was on the 7th-gen console GPUs and games. And at the time is was considered a very important development to achieve better looking games.
Even funnier is the fact that FXAA was developed by Timothy Lothes whom, according to AMD, was also the "main implementer of FSR" while working there.

So yeah, let's all hope that an IHV-agnostic upscaling solution like FSR "fails" as much as FXAA did 10 years ago.

I neither know what mining algorithms do, nor did i follow NVs tricks to throttle mining perf., but: Is it possible to throttle a certain algorithm, while not affecting any other algorithms, and a general purpose processor? I'd naively guess the answer is no.
I'm pretty sure they could find a way to neuter SHA instruction throughput in the hardware. Even if some games may use it (GPU-based data decompression / decryption? is that ever used in the PC?), I doubt it would cause any meaningful performance impact.

And the LHR are only using a firmware+driver hack. It's just an afterthought of sorts.

Nope.
1.0 will live on etc etc.
My guess is FSR 1.0 will eventually be enabled through drivers, with FSR 2.x/3.x using linear + non-linear neural networks and probably needing more developer intervention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back