Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah so possbile 6% faster than 2070 and 7% slower than super, so closer to 2070, huge difference ;d

Perhaps, but also not really appropriate to consider as 2070S level when it's actually closer to a 2070 stock than a 2070S stock and just average for a 2070 OC while being no-where near the average 2070S OC. And while it's only a marginal percentage, when considered in the context of the 22% he tells us the PS5 is faster by in that particular scene, it's quite impactful as it reduces that "PS5 is 22% faster than a 2070S" down to more like 15%. Which in itself would be impressive if they were running at identical settings. Which they aren't.

It's certainly hard to match settings exactly. But it's quite easy to not claim the settings are identical when they're not, as a basis for a performance comparison. He has a whole section on the lack of moving foliage and foliage shadows on the next gen console versions (which is a big deal!) then chalks it up to a bug and proceeds to ignore it in the performance comparison and ultimate ranking of the versions.

Also it's more like 8% on the core (see the link I posted) as the 2070S will comfortably exceed it's boost clock during heavy gaming loads. I'm taking the 1840Mhz figure as a point of comparison there but it clearly can sustain even higher. Then there are the core differences as see colon mentioned which make the difference even greater.

I have one more minor nitpick about the conclusion regarding the Steam hardware numbers as well. He says "unless you're in the 4% of PC gamers that are running better hardware than me" however it's more like 6% at the 2080 or above level or 8.3% at the real 2070S and above level. In real terms that's something like 7-10m systems (based on the count of 120m active Steam users in the last month) or quite comparable in overall numbers to next gen console sales. Stating it as 4% makes it seem like a insignificant number barely worthy of mention, which I believe is somewhat misrepresenting the situation.

yeah, thats nxgamer allright. Besides his reverence for playstation and consoles in general, he always likes to make unverifiable claims in his amateurish "analysis", like this something happens here because API's or the incorrect statements he makes here with the hardware or the settings used for consoles. Its also not the first time he claims his OC'd 2070 is a actually a 2070Super. The guy just doesnt know how to best dismiss and shit on computers while inflating playstation. Durante also ripped him a new asshole some years ago, he snapped a little then, quite uncharacteristically for him. But i guess when you're actually educated in the field and actually working with code and various games listening to youtubers claiming tech analysis i imagine he's constantly identifying a gazillion faults and misteps being done by people who are basically random fans.

Y4qkFJU.jpeg

Also , about the steam hardware numbers. We had in 2018 reports of 200 million active accounts. Which we have here back then at 16 million CC users.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/308330/number-stream-users/

As of now, we have a max of just shy of 27 million CC users. Steam exploded in the last year. Id comfortably put well above 300 million active accounts. And i'd calculate those gpu percentages from that number

nice to have a 120fps mode that is performing very well !

Superior AF on PS5, PS5 is a beast ! i'm kidding off course, wonder if the lower AF on PC is due to the use of ray tracing during gameplay, or a setting error from the youtuber.

Attachments

• f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 17
yeah, thats nxgamer allright. Besides his reverence for playstation and consoles in general, he always likes to make unverifiable claims in his amateurish "analysis", like this something happens here because API's or the incorrect statements he makes here with the hardware or the settings used for consoles. Its also not the first time he claims his OC'd 2070 is a actually a 2070Super. The guy just doesnt know how to best dismiss and shit on computers while inflating playstation. Durante also ripped him a new asshole some years ago, he snapped a little then, quite uncharacteristically for him. But i guess when you're actually educated in the field and actually working with code and various games listening to youtubers claiming tech analysis i imagine he's constantly identifying a gazillion faults and misteps being done by people who are basically random fans.

I've noticed that too, where NXGamer typically speaks in "matter of fact" terms, when it's impossible for him to be able to verify those claims from simply looking at video/images. It's absolutely fine to make educated guesses, so long as you present it as such, and nothing more. I mean, at the end of the day, these guys are simply enthusiasts with typically no access to the code, nor access to the developers themselves to confirm the information. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.. but people need to understand that what NXGamer and DF and others isn't always going to be 100% accurate or factual. They can make mistakes too... but it comes down to how they present their information, and I find that DF typically does it in a more nuanced way, usually stating when they are assuming something rather than speaking as a matter of fact. I think a lot of developers understand and respect just how often DF gets their information either correct, or very close, just by simply looking and studying the game. It's not always very easy to do.

I can imagine what it's like, and perhaps how frustrating it could be for developers who are obviously much more knowledgeable, or directly involved in the games they cover, to see something not represented properly, or something that spreads misinformation.. either unintentionally or otherwise.

I've noticed that too, where NXGamer typically speaks in "matter of fact" terms, when it's impossible for him to be able to verify those claims from simply looking at video/images. It's absolutely fine to make educated guesses, so long as you present it as such, and nothing more. I mean, at the end of the day, these guys are simply enthusiasts with typically no access to the code, nor access to the developers themselves to confirm the information. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.. but people need to understand that what NXGamer and DF and others isn't always going to be 100% accurate or factual. They can make mistakes too... but it comes down to how they present their information, and I find that DF typically does it in a more nuanced way, usually stating when they are assuming something rather than speaking as a matter of fact. I think a lot of developers understand and respect just how often DF gets their information either correct, or very close, just by simply looking and studying the game. It's not always very easy to do.

I can imagine what it's like, and perhaps how frustrating it could be for developers who are obviously much more knowledgeable, or directly involved in the games they cover, to see something not represented properly, or something that spreads misinformation.. either unintentionally or otherwise.

DF has better relationship with devs and they take their time to do video. Other channel try to release the first. DF have more people and try to release the best analysis as possible. VGTech doesn't do real analysis but at least give only statistic, this is the most factual channel after DF.

Exactly they are enrhusiasts nothing more and what I like about nxgamer that he was real dev game and you can feel sometime that he just has more undersdanding/knowledge

Exactly they are enrhusiasts nothing more and what I like about nxgamer that he was real dev game and you can feel sometime that he just has more undersdanding/knowledge

He doesnt not have dev experience. As far as i recall, he posted some months ago on neogaf that he's in marketing of some sort. If he is coding something, its some marketing software.

He made 4 or 5 videos about Dirt 5 where he kept beating that dead horse where he aparently found lower quality settings on xbox than on ps5. I remember at the time of Hitman 3's launch some people asking him when he'll make a video. It seems he didnt find the time for that game, where ps5 was running lower settings and resolution than series x. I mention this because he's a declared giant sony fan and he thinks they're always at the top in tech, regardless what anyone else is doing. His 2020 top graphics had all the 3 sony exclusives lined up. He placed Flight Sim behind all of them and then claimed the game doesnt really have any gameplay outside of taking off and landing. Some people were kind enough to explain it to him how wrong that statement is, but this serves to show how superficial he treats computer releases and betray his lack of both understanding what he's talking about and sufficient research. Plus, a lot of his points for his top grahical showcases had him talking about gameplay. Well, which is it ? You're making a graphical top 10 by judging gameplay ?

In his crysis remastered video he was shooting from the hip again regarding settings and performance profile like he does in the video in question, claiming the to the metal API of ps5 delivering "much higher performance" than on pc and so on. Just incorrect statements pulled from his ass without actually showing or having proof of anything.

He couldnt even be bothered to have the correct steam percentages right now in his downplaying of computers and inflation of consoles. Its around 18% of steam using RTX cards, after we get the next update in august its probably gonna be 20%. 1 in 5 people in steam having RTX cards is not bad at all. That means several tens of millions of users.

Galyonkin, the steamspy dude made an article back in 2015 regarding the actual number of people who purchase big, expensive games in a continuous manner.

https://galyonk.in/your-target-audience-doesn-t-exist-999b78aa77ae

He found its a very small percentage of people who are actually doing the big sales. Steam is much larger now than in 2015, but i suspect this still applies. The countless tens of millions of users with 1050 and 1060 are not the ones buying every AAA release at full price. Its those smaller percentages of people with higher end gpus, which are sufficient enough to sustain that market. Even if the percentages are smaller, they're percentages out of extremely high numbers, so its still many many millions of gamers.

nxgamer strikes me as someone who one day googled something like this, then at the end told himself he's now equiped to make youtube "analysis"

https://fgiesen.wordpress.com/2011/07/09/a-trip-through-the-graphics-pipeline-2011-index/

this is the first i'm hearing about nxgamer being any kind of a gamedev, that comes as a shock. A lot of devs aren't very knowledgable about graphics but he'd still be one of the worst.

I don't have any beef with him as a games writer, he makes well put together videos, but I dont think he has any technical expertise.

nxgamer strikes me as someone who one day googled something like this, then at the end told himself he's now equiped to make youtube "analysis"

https://fgiesen.wordpress.com/2011/07/09/a-trip-through-the-graphics-pipeline-2011-index/

0% chance he's ever read anything that in depth before!

Superior AF on PS5, PS5 is a beast ! i'm kidding off course, wonder if the lower AF on PC is due to the use of ray tracing during gameplay, or a setting error from the youtuber.

Perhaps it's just the angle of the ground surface. It's definitely more upright in the PS5 portion of the image you posted.
I'm not saying that's the culprit. Just that video comparisons (especially youtube) that aren't 100% like-for-like should never be used to make any definitive evaluations.

He doesnt not have dev experience. As far as i recall, he posted some months ago on neogaf that he's in marketing of some sort. If he is coding something, its some marketing software.

He made 4 or 5 videos about Dirt 5 where he kept beating that dead horse where he aparently found lower quality settings on xbox than on ps5. I remember at the time of Hitman 3's launch some people asking him when he'll make a video. It seems he didnt find the time for that game, where ps5 was running lower settings and resolution than series x. I mention this because he's a declared giant sony fan and he thinks they're always at the top in tech, regardless what anyone else is doing. His 2020 top graphics had all the 3 sony exclusives lined up. He placed Flight Sim behind all of them and then claimed the game doesnt really have any gameplay outside of taking off and landing. Some people were kind enough to explain it to him how wrong that statement is, but this serves to show how superficial he treats computer releases and betray his lack of both understanding what he's talking about and sufficient research. Plus, a lot of his points for his top grahical showcases had him talking about gameplay. Well, which is it ? You're making a graphical top 10 by judging gameplay ?

In his crysis remastered video he was shooting from the hip again regarding settings and performance profile like he does in the video in question, claiming the to the metal API of ps5 delivering "much higher performance" than on pc and so on. Just incorrect statements pulled from his ass without actually showing or having proof of anything.

He couldnt even be bothered to have the correct steam percentages right now in his downplaying of computers and inflation of consoles. Its around 18% of steam using RTX cards, after we get the next update in august its probably gonna be 20%. 1 in 5 people in steam having RTX cards is not bad at all. That means several tens of millions of users.

Galyonkin, the steamspy dude made an article back in 2015 regarding the actual number of people who purchase big, expensive games in a continuous manner.

https://galyonk.in/your-target-audience-doesn-t-exist-999b78aa77ae

He found its a very small percentage of people who are actually doing the big sales. Steam is much larger now than in 2015, but i suspect this still applies. The countless tens of millions of users with 1050 and 1060 are not the ones buying every AAA release at full price. Its those smaller percentages of people with higher end gpus, which are sufficient enough to sustain that market. Even if the percentages are smaller, they're percentages out of extremely high numbers, so its still many many millions of gamers.

2020 was fantastic year for sony so maybe thats the reason top3 was sony title ;) df not putting ghost of tsushima in top10 was bigger f moment imo in the end good there is choice I like df, vgtech and nxgamer

You quoted me, but I actually feel the opposite. I feel like the DF guys have a much better understanding/knowledge (especially Alex) and present their information in a better, more concise manner than NXGamer.

Perhaps it's just the angle of the ground surface. It's definitely more upright in the PS5 portion of the image you posted.
I'm not saying that's the culprit. Just that video comparisons (especially youtube) that aren't 100% like-for-like should never be used to make any definitive evaluations.
Yes I agree. One comparison at the beginning of the video has same angle and same AF.

There's a thread fully dedicated to DF's analyses and this is the thread for the analyses made by everyone else.

What exactly is the point in coming here to trash on all the other people doing comparisons and analyses that we can choose to watch for free on YouTube?

And doing so using dev statements from 4 years ago nonetheless? In the last 4 years my oldest went from barely speaking to being selected to a prestigious public school. I'd say a lot can be learned in 4 years. People take Engineering MScs and PhDs in that timespan.

I too am an admirer of DF's work, but I don't think this deification is healthy to the community, much less at the cost of crapping on other people's work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we keep the thread about the game tech? Thus everyone should take things with appropriate levels of flavoring (salt) based on their own personal tastes.

Yeah - the consoles are definitely not across the board Ultra settings. Next Gen consoles even have lower grass draw distance and LOD than Xbox One X, for example.

It's tough to compare as Tom has guessed in his video, it's likely based on the PS4/Xbox versions of the code which don't have equivalent settings to the PC version, and some odd artistic differences. Like the shadows are better than high, but they're not definitely not Ultra - it's a custom setting. Foliage is different, there's a lot less wind effects for major objects like trees, but some smaller bushes/shrubs have more movement than the PC version. Rain is far heavier in one scene on the PS5 than the PC. TAA is much stronger (and blurrier) than the PC, but fine lines (like hair) are completed a bit better while they're stippled on the PC. The grass is another example, it's culled below the PC's low setting in draw distance early on, but it only affects grass - the PC at that same setting has a huge cutoff for every detail, while on the PS5 the leaves/rocks remain, but later on in the game there's no grass culling at all in most scenes, it's odd.

Speaking of that that NXGamer video btw, you can see his GPU usage % drop when his frame rate tanks - that's because there's a weird vsync implementation with this game on the PC. I used fast sync + rivatuner to fix it, but it's pretty obvious - his GPU is dropping into the 80% range when he's going into the 40's. He should have picked up on that.

nice to have a 120fps mode that is performing very well !

Early examples I've seen of F12021 with DLSS give me the impression it's made the mistake that a few other games have and is basing its texture LOD on the internal resolution, which when using DLSS will of course be lower than the output. That could be the reason here, if he has DLSS enabled in that screenshot.

It's tough to compare as Tom has guessed in his video, it's likely based on the PS4/Xbox versions of the code which don't have equivalent settings to the PC version, and some odd artistic differences. Like the shadows are better than high, but they're not definitely not Ultra - it's a custom setting. Foliage is different, there's a lot less wind effects for major objects like trees, but some smaller bushes/shrubs have more movement than the PC version. Rain is far heavier in one scene on the PS5 than the PC. TAA is much stronger (and blurrier) than the PC, but fine lines (like hair) are completed a bit better while they're stippled on the PC. The grass is another example, it's culled below the PC's low setting in draw distance early on, but it only affects grass - the PC at that same setting has a huge cutoff for every detail, while on the PS5 the leaves/rocks remain, but later on in the game there's no grass culling at all in most scenes, it's odd.

Just to give an example of how variable this can be:

Here's a scene where approaching this area on the PS5 gives one of the few incidents of screen tear, so this is an area that's close to maxing out the GPU in this game.

My PC, 1440p, settings high, but draw distance medium:

3jzanci.jpg

PS5, same scene:

WUMLVJd.jpg

Wow, PS5 only 20% faster than an overclocked 1660! Even worse grass draw distance, worse port evah!!!1!!

Of course though, that's this scene. In many other scenes, the draw distance of grass and every other object is equal to PC's high, or perhaps even Ultra. There's more swaying foliage in this scene in the surrounding area on the PS5 than the PC, but in other areas the PC has significantly more wind-affected trees and other objects with the resulting shadows moving as well. Some trees and shrubbery look different on the console version, perhaps even thicker. It's all over the place.

If I set everything to Ultra in this same scene, my PC gets 38fps at 1440, so yeah more in line with what you would expect give the GPU's, but like as NXGamer says if Ultra is nearly indistinguishable from high...then that also implies high is also nearly identical to Ultra (the only difference I can tell is crisper shadows). This is a game with some very odd differences between versions - the PS4 Pro version for example in that video seems to have the same swaying trees with shadows as the PC version! That implies to me the lack of it on the PS5 isn't necessarily a performance consideration, unless perhaps they wanted to keep higher res shadows and the resulting res boost + animating them was too much for 60fps. It's just an odd port in several cases that lends itself to these nitpicky arguments as you can pick one scene where one version has a clear advantage then walk your character for 10 minutes and get a difference conclusion - I guess though that's also a reason not to make confident statements when the differences, and the reason they exist, is not entirely clear.

The version tested was 2.01. There can still be a stutter during cutscenes on a camera cut but the image changes slightly during these frames which causes them to not register as duplicate frames. The footage here is from the High Resolution mode which renders at resolution of 3840x2160 using a form of checkerboard rendering. Patch 2.01 on PS5 increased the resolution of the High Resolution mode and changed the frame rate cap from 30fps to 60fps. The High Framerate mode on PS5 still renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080 and it can hold 60fps during scenes where the High Resolution mode drops below 60fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back