NVidia Ada Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best guess for NVidia's next architecture lovelace is September 2022...?

I don't even know at this point. The rumors for AMD are straightforward and from a previously reliable source. We already know they're doing two chiplet... I swear we need a new name for AI accelerators or something, anyway this year with CDNA. That they'd do the same for consumer GPUs just seems blindingly obvious; that they're sticking TSMC and going to 5nm is public; that they're improving hardware RT is an easy assumption backed up by patents.

But there seems to be no concrete details whatsoever for Nvidia, nor any sources that are nearly as reliable. What process are they going to use? How are they going to solve their bandwidth problem? What other improvements are there going to be? Until there's any actual details that make sense I'm not ready to believe any of these rumors; including on 30XX Super cards. So I guess any guess is as good as any other guess right now.

The problem is that we don't know if RTX 40 & RDNA 3 have taped out yet, if not could be late 2022 at the earliest (hope they are earlier than later, along with Raptor Lake & Raphael).

I don't even know at this point. The rumors for AMD are straightforward and from a previously reliable source. We already know they're doing two chiplet... I swear we need a new name for AI accelerators or something, anyway this year with CDNA. That they'd do the same for consumer GPUs just seems blindingly obvious; that they're sticking TSMC and going to 5nm is public; that they're improving hardware RT is an easy assumption backed up by patents.

But there seems to be no concrete details whatsoever for Nvidia, nor any sources that are nearly as reliable. What process are they going to use? How are they going to solve their bandwidth problem? What other improvements are there going to be? Until there's any actual details that make sense I'm not ready to believe any of these rumors; including on 30XX Super cards. So I guess any guess is as good as any other guess right now.

Yeah, I see AMD using the 5nm node to push their economy of scale to the max, piecemealing their patented components, and applying it to RDNA/CDNA, to solve issues for each type of customers.

As mentioned, NVidia's next lovelace, is going to be a major re-haul of their gaming architecture. But they have plenty of time to develop it, because nobody can buy cards anyway. But Sept 2022 seems so far away.

I think that article misses an important aspect of MLID's video: NVidia will pull Lovelace forward to match the release timeframe of RDNA 3. In other words 2022Q4 or 2023Q1 is looking unlikely for Lovelace.

Unless RDNA 3 slips. Which, honestly, I'm expecting. But there's no reason for NVidia to slip - Lovelace not being chiplet based (guess) would make it less likely to slip.

I think that article misses an important aspect of MLID's video: NVidia will pull Lovelace forward to match the release timeframe of RDNA 3. In other words 2022Q4 or 2023Q1 is looking unlikely for Lovelace.

Unless RDNA 3 slips. Which, honestly, I'm expecting. But there's no reason for NVidia to slip - Lovelace not being chiplet based (guess) would make it less likely to slip.
End of 22 is the expected timeframe for both though. And both should tape out about a year prior, so not sure what's there to pull forward or even how at this point.

Slips? Or delayed?

Didn't an xbox engineer let it slip/be-known that rdna3 was being engineered in parallel along side rdna2... and that AMD is so far ahead, that 5 months ago rdna3 went back for rev2 internally. Pre-pandemic rdna3 was scheduled to be released in November of 2021... and other than AMD trying to squeak out more RDNA2 cards while the Industry catches itself, perhaps AMD chose to refine rdna3 even more.

Also, how does NVidia pull Lovelace forward...?

End of 22 is the expected timeframe for both though
Nope.
Unless RDNA 3 slips. Which, honestly, I'm expecting
Literally nothing is allowed to slip at AMD.
N31/33 have a pair of very concrete deadlines.
Pre-pandemic rdna3 was scheduled to be released in November of 2021
Nah.
Also, how does NVidia pull Lovelace forward...?
They don't.
Greenbros, time to power on the 2024 hopium tanks.

End of 22 is the expected timeframe for both though. And both should tape out about a year prior, so not sure what's there to pull forward or even how at this point.
RDNA 3 has never been rumoured for 2022Q4 or later.

MLID, again, was explicit that NVidia may pull Lovelace forward by releasing lower-tier cards first, while announcing all cards. e.g. the highest-tier cards would be one or two quarters later. e.g. implying a shit-ton of RTX 4050/4060 (which would offer 3070/3080 performance) in 2022Q1 or 2022Q2.

If you're a gamer upset that you can't get a 3080 before the end of 2021, that could be killer. And perhaps not too far into 2022. They won't care if AMD has released something faster at $2000, that's just irrelevant. Even if 4060 costs $800.

RDNA 3 has never been rumoured for 2022Q4 or later.
Nope.
Jeez why even try.

implying a shit-ton of RTX 4050/4060 (which would offer 3070/3080 performance) in 2022Q1 or 2022Q2.
Hooooooly shit not even H100 is GA by then.
may pull Lovelace forward by releasing lower-tier cards first
Product schedules are fixed.
There is no "pull-in".
Both vendors already run product cadences fast as-is.

*snip

Nah.

Yes:

Dual_Roadmap_678x452.png

It doesn't actually say that's Q4 anywhere, just that it's between start of 2019 and end of 2022 + after RDNA2. Pretty sure at least most rumors are talking mid 22's, meaning Q2-Q3

NO, that is the beginning of 2022...

ed: and I agree that now, AMD will push it back because they are going to continue to milk rdna2 and refine it. Since everyone of them made, will be sold instantly.

Navi 23 desktop missed 2021H1.
How is this relevant to the die actual shipping?
Nah, those are intentionally vague as fuck.
ed: and I agree that now, AMD will push it back because they are going to continue to milk rdna2 and refine it
Product schedules are FIXED.
Hopper MCM will come to obliterate RDNA3 in gaming space if Lovelace is not enough...
Cute LARP but that's not what is actually happening.

Nah, those are intentionally vague as fuck.

NO, they are not vague. Since Dr Su has been using such roadmaps, their placements, have been spot on. If we had not gone through a pandemic, AMD would be releasing rdna3 around December this year. Many things have changed and we know AMD's roadmap with rdna3 has changed too, given the rumors and obvious business objectives.

Dr Su is saying, they were projecting rdna3 to be out, before 2022. This was AMD's latest roadmap:
75950_14_amd-teases-next-gen-gpu-says-rdna-3-teams-in-execution_full.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back