AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

Too bad. But lucky me since I forgot about this through the afternoon and would've been mad at myself had I missed the opportunity.

At some point not too far in the future, the time gap to the inevitably better next-gen will be less than the pain of waiting another couple of month. So for me the ship will soon leave the harbour for this gen.

At some point not too far in the future, the time gap to the inevitably better next-gen will be less than the pain of waiting another couple of month. So for me the ship will soon leave the harbour for this gen.
Same here.

To be honest, I had already resigned myself to skipping a new GPU this year because I really wasn't into dedicating precious time on this lottery campaign.
All that changed when I saw that I can easily sell my Vega 64 for 450-550€, and I thought a ~200€ investment to get almost 3x the GPU performance would be worth it.
And I suspect I have only until later this year before my Vega loses most of its 2nd-hand value, which is when ETH switched to Proof of Stake, so the window of opportunity here is a bit short.

Too bad. But lucky me since I forgot about this through the afternoon and would've been mad at myself had I missed the opportunity.

Are you expecting new cards that soon? We’re less than a year into the current cycle. Or do you mean refreshes based on existing chips?

Are you expecting new cards that soon? We’re less than a year into the current cycle. Or do you mean refreshes based on existing chips?

If we go by @Bondrewd 's prediction, Navi 31 should release until mid Q2-2022 (6 quarters after Navi 21's release). It's a matter of deciding whether or not buying a RDNA2 GPU is worth the investment, especially considering we'll be past the middle of its lifecycle in a couple of weeks and the price isn't all that interesting, even at MSRP.
At the same time, reports of Navi 31 being brutal in terms of performance keep piling up, so the performance-per-$ is probably going to be much better too.

No, nothing concrete yet. But being almost one year into the cycle of at least the RTX 30 (I'm open to MSRP cards from both vendors!) means that we're probably in the middle between two gens now with AMD maybe or maybe not being closer to a new model. And since for the last few gens, prices did not drop significantly towards the end of the respective cycle, it has become less and less attractive to buy into an soon-to-be-old-gen. But that's just my two cents and everybodys mileage may vary.

No, nothing concrete yet. But being almost one year into the cycle of at least the RTX 30 (I'm open to MSRP cards from both vendors!) means that we're probably in the middle between two gens now with AMD maybe or maybe not being closer to a new model. And since for the last few gens, prices did not drop significantly towards the end of the respective cycle, it has become less and less attractive to buy into an soon-to-be-old-gen. But that's just my two cents and everybodys mileage may vary.

Sure but how do you know that pricing and availability won't get even worse. There are no signs it will be better.

Stock came in about half an hour ago. I had followed all the tips: one alert bot on Telegram, another on Discord, PayPal already logged in with auto-refresh for quick payment procedure..

Followed the link for the 6800XT Midnight Black less than 3 seconds after I got the bot notification, stock was already gone.
Tried the 6900X, went all the way up to the paypal payment, clicked on pay, took me back to the storefront with no other notification, paypal didn't register. No good either.
Regular 6800XT didn't even come up on stock, again.

I didn't stand a chance.
Why doesn't AMD just implement a queue system where they cross-reference PayPal IDs and shipping addresses? Or pair up with Valve and limit the shippings to one GPU per >1 year-old Steam account which is what they did with Steam Deck?

I keep seeing posts from scalpers who are using some special scripts to get cards every week, and I have no idea where those are... I guess the system is rigged in their favor.

Sure but how do you know that pricing and availability won't get even worse. There are no signs it will be better.
I don't, but "worse" is not an option, because that's out of my price range then and I won't buy that stuff.

Well the situation is already improving, prices are trending down even if slowly and availability is better than just couple months back

Stock came in about half an hour ago. I had followed all the tips: one alert bot on Telegram, another on Discord, PayPal already logged in with auto-refresh for quick payment procedure..

Followed the link for the 6800XT Midnight Black less than 3 seconds after I got the bot notification, stock was already gone.
Tried the 6900X, went all the way up to the paypal payment, clicked on pay, took me back to the storefront with no other notification, paypal didn't register. No good either.
Regular 6800XT didn't even come up on stock, again.

I didn't stand a chance.
Why doesn't AMD just implement a queue system where they cross-reference PayPal IDs and shipping addresses? Or pair up with Valve and limit the shippings to one GPU per >1 year-old Steam account which is what they did with Steam Deck?

I keep seeing posts from scalpers who are using some special scripts to get cards every week, and I have no idea where those are... I guess the system is rigged in their favor.
Yeah I don't think social media is making anything better about finding a GPU. It probably helps create even more demand.

Last edited:
Can you order from overclockers in the u.k ?
they have 6800xt's
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-6800-xt-series
edit:
If they dont ship to europe they have a sister company in germany (caseking.de) they have 6800xt's
https://www.caseking.de/en/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-6800-xt

Those are.. almost twice the MSRP..
All of which well above my budget.

But most importantly, those stores are practically scalpers and I refuse to feed their practices.

Never would anyone have thought 20 years ago that GPU's priced extremely high would be demanded so much. I remember the TI500 being 'expensive' lol

Yup which is the reason to buy now and not wait over a year just to deal with another mad rush with no availability for 6 months.

I mean, f* knows whether the situation will be better a year from now. Maybe it will be, maybe RDNA3 will have really high availability and be great. But it's not like a 6800xt is going to be outdated or anything this generation. If you can get one for MSRP and have the budget it doesn't seem like you're passing up some great opportunity cost just around the corner.

Yup which is the reason to buy now and not wait over a year just to deal with another mad rush with no availability for 6 months.
Well, in this case I have a perfectly fine VEGA56 here (reference model) which could be yours for only 800 Euro. That's one hell of a bargain at only 2x the MSRP. ;) ;) ;)

Yes, I exaggerated a bit here, but price levels at 2x MSRP is not something I can applaud or would be taking part in. And 2x is still the norm for anything greater than 6700XT, which is only 1.5-1.75x.

Back