Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
I played Diablo II on a 486 DX2 @ 66 Mhz (it had a massive 32 MB RAM though) at 15 FPS or so. Under that when the screen was full of mobs, sometimes 2-3 FPS lol.
Considering Diablo II had a 25 FPS cap, that's pretty respectable.

Considering Diablo II had a 25 FPS cap, that's pretty respectable.

Yeah, I think it only worked because the machine was quite high spec (my dad got it from the company he worked for when they renewed the hardware), including a 4MB video card (non 3D obviously). It's amazing that my next pc, a Pentium III 1Ghz "only" had 64 MB.

That must have been a huge upgrade. I went AMD5x86 to Cyrex PR233 to k6-2 400 to Athlon 1ghz... I think. I might have had a 600mhz Athlon, and I picked up some side machines along the way. Pentium MMx and Pentium 2 systems mostly.

I went AMD5x86 to Cyrex PR233 to k6-2 400 to Athlon 1ghz...
Wow this is similar to what I had growing up.
Cyrix 486 -> K6-2 350MHz -> Dual Celeron 400MHz on the ABIT BP6 (multi-core at home before it was cool, as exquisite as it was useless for gaming, TBH) -> 1GHz Duron which I blew up with a pencil mod.

Ive played both, yes IQ is paired back in 60fps modes, but technically your loosing frames in 30fps modes aswell. I dunno, the 60fps does give a much better experience switching between the two under longer perioids. Play the game in quality mode for half an hour then switch to 60 and its hard to go back. I think that going forward 30fps should be a thing of the past.

I agree that in terms of gameplay 60 is typically better, but your brain does account for slight lag automatically. And if you go from 30-60 your brain just gets extra time so it is an easy adjustment, but going back you have to give time back and the adjustment is a bit harder. It’s a bit like daylight savings time in that respect.

But this game is very playable in 30fps and visually the motion blur and such makes it very pleasing, and then I prefer 30fps for most of the game. I only switched to 60fps when I got frustrated by an online platforming section once so far (the first time you hit a dimension stone while on rails, I think).

I went back from 60rt mode to fidelity, its just sharper (also notice shadow popingup on 60rt and not in fidelity). Rt reflections are nostly subtle in this title so maybe 60 without rt mode is worth playing as it sharper than rt perf mode

I went back from 60rt mode to fidelity, its just sharper (also notice shadow popingup on 60rt and not in fidelity). Rt reflections are nostly subtle in this title so maybe 60 without rt mode is worth playing as it sharper than rt perf mode

I don’t think they’re subtle in any way. If anything, this and Miles are the only games I can think of where reflections are totally in your face. And here they’re literally everywhere, even in the tiniest and insignificant places, in crazy curved surfaces, on weapons, they're as in your face as they can be without being completely crazy like on that very first AMD RT demo where everything was chrome.

BTW After getting the platinum, I also switched back to PerfRT. Gotta get those Omega weapons, and having played most of the game at 30fps, this is very nice.

Last edited:
I don’t think they’re subtle in any way. If anything, this and Miles are the only games I can think of where reflections are totally in your face. And here they’re literally everywhere, even in the tiniest and insignificant places, in crazy curved surfaces, on weapons, they're as in your face as they can be without being completely crazy like on that very first AMD RT demo where everything was chrome.

BTW After getting the platinum, I also switched back to PerfRT. Gotta get those Omega weapons, and having played most of the game at 30fps, this is very nice.
reflections are everywhere tough is not like in miles when you switch off and on rt while crawling on building ;)

reflections are everywhere tough is not like in miles when you switch off and on rt while crawling on building ;)
Yep, On R&C I just stop every so often just to look at a tiny curved reflection - for example, there's a section where Rivet walks through a metal air vent and you see multiple reflections of her (front, sides, and even one on the corner which is curved), I stopped and took a few pictures of that. That's real "next gen" in my mind.

Yep, On R&C I just stop every so often just to look at a tiny curved reflection - for example, there's a section where Rivet walks through a metal air vent and you see multiple reflections of her (front, sides, and even one on the corner which is curved), I stopped and took a few pictures of that. That's real "next gen" in my mind.
yeah even this small screews that shows up after defeating enemies reflect environments

Good to see RT generally has been accepted nowadays ;)

no problem with accepting rt in game that looks amazing with and without rt ;) problem when game looks avarage at best but has some rt effect and dadam, welcome in nextgen - nope :)

He was talking soley about the ray tracing effect that was being admired. Anyway, ivent seen many games that look non-next gen without RT.

yeah even this small screews that shows up after defeating enemies reflect environments
It's crazy we're here so early into this generation. This time last year, months before the new hardware was launching, everybody was expecting really limited RT implementations.

Then Insomniac come along and have almost object RT reflect almost every everything in the scene.

edit: so many typos, sheesh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back