Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently using 4k 55 inch TV as pc monitor and the pixels are not small enough. 8k would make the pixels smaller and would look better with many small windows opened (basically in using my 55inch TV as multi monitor)
Ate you sticking your face on a 55 4k monitor?? :p

Is the TCL going to make an updated 4k Series 6? I want to update my 55" Series 6 from 2019 to something that's a bit better than the 2020 models where they are still have problems with VRR. Don't need 8k.

Tommy McClain

Is the TCL going to make an updated 4k Series 6? I want to update my 55" Series 6 from 2019 to something that's a bit better than the 2020 models where they are still have problems with VRR. Don't need 8k.

Tommy McClain

First, apparently the answer is yes. There will still be 4k Series 6 displays. Mayne the 8k is just for the larger tv's?

Currently, it appears, no one's HDMI 2.1 works very well. Broken black levels, lost signals, broken VRR, etc. 8k would just be a bonus. I want that stuff fixed. 4k60 with good VRR and good HDR is enough for me, but I wouldn't scoff at having it be 8k as a PC desktop. Sitting 2-3' away and you can tell. Not by a whole lot, but sometimes is stands out.

Ok even I think I might have lost it a little bit here haha. I got a 55" CX Oled today and I will use it as my primary gaming display and for some occasional other stuff as well. Looking forward to setting it up. Thing is I still have my 75" Q9FN and I'm keeping it too primarily for PC-monitor/movies. The funny thing is that my apartment is small, basically a studio with a separate kitchen and the area where my living room/bedroom is, is about 18.5m2 and both of my sets will be in that same room... I think I have a glorious plan to set everything up, but disaster might be close by :LOL:

I own a 65" LG B6 oled that I bought in October or November 2016. Just checked the internal timer and my TV has 20,225 hours on it. About 13 hours a day.

I don't baby it. I watch YouTube all day and play PC games with lots of hud like Civ 6. No burn in or noticeable loss of brightness.

Thats the exception then.

LG has a standing policy where they will replace the panels on their 2016 and 2017 sets when their Technician determines it has burn in. The user only has to cover the cost of labor. The part is free. However the panels tend to be back-ordered and takes some time to get. Though some stores which sold the sets or some expanded warranties will cover the labor.

The AVS forums is full of posts from owners that had their panels replaced, some even had it done twice, and some was given a pretty hefty cash back refund instead. Some posts say the replacement panels are newer panel tech but they leave the old sets logic board in place. So its not an entirely new tv set upgrade.

Thats the exception then.
Is it really the exception? LG must be shipped tens, if not hundreds of millions of those panels. RTINGS are still monitoring their ancient LGs.

The existence of people with problems does not equate to widespread problems. We've seen this with TVs, console launches. A few bits of hardware will always be, or go, bad. That's not necessarily representative of an entire product line. If everybody who didn't have a problem posted, those folks with poor experiences would be utterly drowned out.

I have a 2017 b7 oled. The display had to be replaced twice. First time due to excessive banding in near dark shades and the second time due to a stuck white pixel in the middle of the replacement display. Third times a charm, as this panel has minimal banding and has worked flawlessly for nearly 10000 hours. Quality control was definitely an issue on these models.

I have a 2017 b7 oled. The display had to be replaced twice. First time due to excessive banding in near dark shades and the second time due to a stuck white pixel in the middle of the replacement display. Third times a charm, as this panel has minimal banding and has worked flawlessly for nearly 10000 hours. Quality control was definitely an issue on these models.

How did you get them replaced, take it back to the store within a limited time window?

Or did LG arrange the replacement during the warranty period and the store wasn't involved?

Also in which country?

How did you get them replaced, take it back to the store within a limited time window?

Or did LG arrange the replacement during the warranty period and the store wasn't involved?

Also in which country?
In Canada. It was a terrible experience. I had to call lg support and I got the run around from numerous agents. I had to escalate my issue to the ombudsman in Canada as an intermediary. Once the ombudsman contacted lg the ball was rolling. I had to take a lot of photos to ensure the banding was visible. Tbh I don’t have the confidence to buy lg again with such a panel lottery. It wasn’t my first rodeo, so I knew what I had to do to get resolution. Not a good experience for the faint hearted.

Edit. the first repair was in warranty and the 2nd panel broke down within a few months.

I don’t have the confidence to buy lg again with such a panel lottery. It wasn’t my first rodeo, so I knew what I had to do to get resolution. Not a good experience for the faint hearted.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but glad you got it adjusted in the end, and thanks for sharing your experiences.

OK, no ombudsman in the US.

We have the FTC complaints but I doubt they would intercede in individual cases.

OK. So....
Bought a TCL 6. Which then had networking and remote issues. Took it back and saw the Vizio on sale for $999. Took the plunge again. So far so good. Just cannot feed it a 120htz signal or it will start having serious issues. For $1k (before extended warranty and tax) I figured it was worth another shot and that I just got a lemon and an idiot for a chat service rep.

If they didn't have legitimate issues then why did LG bother to improve the panel technology? :neutral:

Just for discussion purposes, if just 1% or even 0.1% of panels exhibited problems when used by consumers it would represent a significant cost to the company. As such, companies are always looking for a way to either improve reliability or decrease the cost of manufacture or both. Certain market segments will focus on one more than the other.

For where OLED is positioned, LG would rather improve reliability and quality than decrease those for cost savings. As such, even if only 0.001% of panels exhibited problems over the life of the product, they'd still likely look to improve the panel technology.

The vast majority of LG OLED TV owners are unlikely to frequent tech forums, especially if they aren't having a problem with their set. However, if they are having problems they are likely to look for solutions which may lead them to tech forums or social media sites. In other words, if everything is going fine, your average buyer isn't going to bother going to social media or a tech site. But if something goes wrong, they are then incentivized to talk about it.

This in no way implies that people don't have problems with the OLED panels, but it's also not limited to OLED panels. If you look at Amazon reviews, TCL has had some pretty bad panel problems in RTings recommended TCL HDTVs. Every product has problems, but not every products receives as much attention as OLED burn in, even if they might exhibit problems that are just as bad or worse.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, that's part of it. There will always be scope or technology to improve; the screens to react faster, to fail less, for resolutions and contrast and colour balance to improve. If LG reach a pinnacle of TV technology they'll only ever sell new TVs when old TVs break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back