Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Much more improved RT. The shadowing and reflections definitely has improved. And the traffic in the third set has increased significantly.

Yes as a whole it's an improvement. Reflections and shadows are noticeably better. But in the first image I find the backgrounds of the old build more detailed. What's up with the moon in the new build? The details have being washed out.

Yes as a whole it's an improvement. Reflections and shadows are noticeably better. But in the first image I find the backgrounds of the old build more detailed. What's up with the moon in the new build? The details have being washed out.

I wouldn't put too much stock into contrast and saturation quality, or even sharpness. These builds could have been captured under different encoding settings. Then you add in other factors of being "recaptured" or "re-encoded" for other uses... then things will look obviously different in certain ways.

They moved the light source, which in the first video was the moon. In the second they made the moon less bright and move the light source to the side - check the shadows. Most likely just an artistic choice.

Toned down the colors alot? Improved reflections especially in the first shot. Also, starts don't show in the august demo? Overall, much sharper in the earlier demo, look at the second shot the objects/vegetation in the distance for example. Improved reflections (RT?) but toned down the rest, ray tracing still isn't free i see. Reminds me of BFV where RT made its debut, the reflective floors and windows everywhere.

But by the context that was the beginning of the story and the introduction to gameplay of the portals, so this is normal.
As the game progresses we can expect that the player will be able to use the portals freely.
Cool. But I'm only going by what is shown. The game is definitely a looker, though.

It seemed very much on rails but it looked like you still had control, at least while grinding the rail section.
Sort of like a hallway. Or a tunnel. Or a SegaCD FMV game.

Sort of like a hallway. Or a tunnel. Or a SegaCD FMV game.

Visually much more exciting hallways.
Also we should wait for the whole game to release to see what all they do with it.

It's better than just having a black screen when going to any areas that's not wide open.

On a related note I've never understood the hatred for transitional moments in games. Yes they have been used cleverly to hide loading but now that you don't need to doesn't mean they will disappear.

It's a critical part of story telling.

Visually much more exciting hallways.
Also we should wait for the whole game to release to see what all they do with it.

It's better than just having a black screen when going to any areas that's not wide open.

On a related note I've never understood the hatred for transitional moments in games. Yes they have been used cleverly to hide loading but now that you don't need to doesn't mean they will disappear.

It's a critical part of story telling.
I agree. I'm just going off what they've shown. And so far, the "loading hallway" has been replaced with a hallway that loads a new hallway every step.

And they also said zero loading screen from start to finish.

I'm going to miss jumping in my ship, zooming off into the distance, having the camera pan up as my ship pulls up into orbit, does a couple of barrels-roll passes in space, then descends into landing on a new location. We've been doing this since the PS2 and it never felt like it was longer than 20 seconds anyway.

I'm going to miss jumping in my ship, zooming off into the distance, having the camera pan up as my ship pulls up into orbit, does a couple of barrels-roll passes in space, then descends into landing on a new location. We've been doing this since the PS2 and it never felt like it was longer than 20 seconds anyway.

I’ll never have time to check my phone and fall into a 4 hour YouTube spiral while playing a game anymore. Not sure if I’m happy with that.

@Quaz51 did the count for the portal loading assets, very precise. it is per frame.

We can see very well the moment when the loading starts and where it stops (when the loading screen is full screen there is each time a freeze of 3 frames and a change of lighting) and the loading lasts between 30 and 50 frames (yes we have to time the loading in number of frames, we are there lol) so less than 1.5 seconds on average. To load a stage with next-gen assets (it would be a PS4 stage it would be even faster)

The longest loading is 1.6 second, the fastest is 1 second. Maybe a three frames latency?

Last edited:
Counting frames is interesting, I wonder how the game will deal with this transition in the 60fps mode? Either way, very impressive tech.

Why does anyone think the level only starts loading at that point? Why would it be impossible for it to start loading earlier, when the player is within X game feet of the portal, since that's the only location the player can move to?

Why does anyone think the level only starts loading at that point? Why would it be impossible for it to start loading earlier, when the player is within X game feet of the portal, since that's the only location the player can move to?
I thought exactly the same. You don't really know where exactly you should start counting frames, as by then the loading may have started already. Accuracy is questionable, but it's a good exercise nonetheless.

Oh absolutely, amazingly fast loading times even if it turns out to be double what they frame counted. I never want to experience Borderlands 3 initial game loading durations ever again. Where you measure it in wall clock minutes, or "I can take a bio break now and grab some food".

This will be a well polished game. I'm certain the devs are talented enough to pull off the fast level loading even on a PC 2021 platform where the system isn't nearly as exceptional as the PS5.

Back