Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

looks like a OS feature that wasn’t supposed to be revealed. If you can jump into a mission from the OS UI it would be great. Probably MS will copy it into their OS.
I thought this was a feature that Sony talked about: shortcuts that launched you into a specific part of a game, skipping intro movies and the game menu.

Yup, from the Wired interview:
Regardless of what parts of a game you choose to install and play, you'll be able to stay abreast of it via a completely revamped user interface. The PS4's bare-bones home screen at times feels frozen in amber; you can see what your friends have recently done or even what game title they might be playing at the moment, but without launching an individual title there's no way to tell what single-player missions you could do or what multiplayer matches you can join. The PS5 will change that. "Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don't want the player to have to boot the game, see what's up, boot the game, see what's up," Cerny says. "Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like."

Regarding the PS5 ability to read data from the SSD directly to the GPU memory. What does this mean for the discussions for the impact on main memory BW?

Isn’t there just one pool of RAM?
Yes, and there is no suggest that it's dual-ported. Although given Sony designed so much of the controller, that's not out of the question but you would have expected Mark Cerny to have mentioned if that was the case. Given their coherency scrubbers, dual-ported access would have made a lot of sense - at a cost.

I am thinking about this and what it really means in addition to traditional data flow if any

https://nerd4.life/2020/05/21/ps5-e...nsfer-files-from-the-ssd-directly-to-the-gpu/
That has to do with reducing the overhead normally associated with accessing storage like an HD or a SSD. That does help with latency and speed but not bandwidth specifically. It does help a little since the faster you can get your use out of the bus the faster something else get it.

edited for minor embarrassments.

Most interesting patent I’ve seen out of Sony in a while.

SCALABLE GAME CONSOLE CPU/GPU DESIGN FOR HOME CONSOLE AND CLOUD GAMING

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2020/0242723.html

In a multi-GPU simulation environment, frame buffer management may be implemented by multiple GPUs rendering respective frames of video, or by rendering respective portions of each frame of video. One of the GPUs controls HDMI frame output by virtue of receiving frame information from the other GPU(s) and reading out complete frames through a physically connected HDMI output port. Or, the outputs of the GPUs can be multiplexed together.

Simulation consoles such as computer game consoles typically use a single chip, referred to as a “system on a chip” (SoC) that contains a central processing unit (CPU) and a graphics processing unit (GPU). Due to semiconductor scaling challenges and yield issues, multiple small chips can be linked by high-speed coherent busses to form big chips. While such a scaling solution is slightly less optimal in performance compared to building a huge monolithic chip, it is less costly.

As understood herein. SoC technology can be applied to video simulation consoles such as game consoles, and in particular a single SoC may be provided for a “light” version of the console while plural SoCs may be used to provide a “high-end” version of the console with greater processing and storage capability than the “light” version. The “high end” system can also contain more memory such as random-access memory (RAM) and other features and may also be used for a cloud-optimized version using the same game console chip with more performance.

Last edited:

Sounds like the depiction of two SoCs doing alternate frame rendering (AFR) or split frame rendering (SFR).
AFR could probably suck less if both SoCs have access to the same memory pool, though two SoCs on the same memory pool would need to dramatically increase overall bandwidth.

Regardless, the idea of a 2xSoC PS5 Pro is really interesting. The patent itself mentioning the economics of big monolithic dies goes in line with AMD's current approach for CPUs and could indicate why Sony chose to go with a narrow GPU this time.

But looking at the alternatives it seems there's a chance that each SoC could have its own memory pool. On a 2x PS5 SoCs that would mean.. 32GB of GDDR6? Or maybe the slave SoC could disable some memory channels assuming they're not running an O.S.

I'd guess this is not an alternative for the current 7nm PS5 SoC considering how big the console is, but I could see a PS5 2023 lineup with a single-SoC PS5 plus a dual-SoC PS5 Pro, both using the same SoC made on 3nm (or a half-node post-5nm?).
Of course, they'd probably also need to implement a very wide and very fast IF bus for inter-SoC communication, but AMD has been doing that on their CPU chiplets for a while.

So PS5 generation would be starting with a base 10.28 TFLOPs and 8/16 Zen 2 cores at upto 3.5 GHz (but lower GPU TFLOPs at the same time, probably). Still, PS5 is far more powerful than Microsoft's Lockhart / Series S base, and more powerful than many masses of low-end gaming PCs. PS5 Pro / PS5 Cloud could offer multi SoC support for games and more RAM/higher memory bandwidth / HBM2e ./ HBM3 etc.

It's more promising than the GSCube was in the PS2 generation

It's more promising than where CELL ended up during the middle and late part of the PS3 gen, nowhere, a dead end.

Dynamic clocks + dynamic voltage to reduce power consumption based on registers usage. PS5 Pro ? PS5 for cloud ?
the computer simulation video being programmed to limit power consumption by reducing frequency and/or voltage at least in part by reading registers from at least one of the GPUs to determine current usage allocation, throttling at least one effect based at least in part on the usage allocation.
(Cloud ?) users will be able to have higher clocks if they pay more. You can't invent that stuff. Pay to overclock.:runaway:
The computer simulation apparatus of claim 20, comprising providing users with extra power consumption limits based on remuneration from the users

Hmm, is there still hope for a high end PS5....I'm in day one:yes:, I can just remove one wardrobe to make it fit in my gaming room....

I'm guessing a PS5 Pro in 2023 would get Zen 4 based CPU and RDNA 4 based GPU.,
8 cores/16 threads, much higher clocks (4.5 GHz systaubed)
GPU 72 RDNA CUs, split over 2 Chiplets 2.5 GHz sustained clocks. 24 GB HBM3 at ~1.5 TB/sec give or take (using 2048-bit bus for ease of manufacturing)

and linking two PS5 ? what kind of port would it need to reach enough speed ?
practically speaking sfp28 or qsfp 28 DAC would be the obvious choice. thats 25/100 Gbps in a very cost effective solution. if that isn't enough PAM encoding can be used to get to 50/200gbps. 400Gbps ethernet uses QSFP-DD which is PAM with more active pins. But the question is how will it work as a cluster using some sort of RDMA, some soft of master, slave etc?

New post with compression benchmarks
http://cbloomrants.blogspot.com/2020/07/performance-of-various-compressors-on.html

TLDR

https://www.resetera.com/threads/playstation-5-pre-release-technical-discussion-ot.231757/post-41229783

Dataset 1 (Texture data BC1,3,4,5, and 7. Mix of diffuse, normals, etc.)
Kraken ratio: 1.76:1 (PS5 perf will be: 5.5GB/sec * 1.76 = 9.68GB/sec)
Kraken + RDO ratio: 3.13:1 (PS5 perf will be: 5.5GB/sec * 3.13 = 17.2GB/sec)

Dataset 2 (Texture data BC6 and 7. Mix of diffuse, normals, etc. Very much what MSFT expects of BCpack data)
Kraken ratio: 1.78:1 (PS5 perf will be: 5.5GB/sec * 1.85 = 10.1GB/sec)
Kraken + RDO ratio: 3.99:1 (PS5 perf will be: 5.5GB/sec * 1.99 = 21.9GB/sec)

Back