Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding oled burn in.
Is it something that can be stopped just before it happens.
What I mean is, the static content that would have caused it never gets displayed again.
So if you can't see the burn it yet, your ok?
Or has the panel degraded enough by a certain point that the image will be affected regardles?

From how I understand, conceptually it's not much different from Plasma, in that it's just part of the technology used.

This is where the organic LED has already decayed through use and the only way to not have the pattern appear is if all the other cells around it are decayed to the same level. So it's not like it's already carved into the set. It's just that the level of other cells around it are on such a different range.

What got my attention was AV Enthusiasts encountering burn-in on patterns that were not obvious, like a "yellow triangle" when nothing they ever played had a static yellow triangle.

Regarding oled burn in.
Is it something that can be stopped just before it happens.
What I mean is, the static content that would have caused it never gets displayed again.
So if you can't see the burn it yet, your ok?
Or has the panel degraded enough by a certain point that the image will be affected regardles?
Burn-in is pixel fatigue that first shows itself as a removable "image retention". TVs have built in measures to fight against it. But eventually pixel will get strained and will be unable to return to it's blank [perfect black] state. There is nothing that can be shown on screen that can remove that, anything that is shown is just straining pixels more.

I would very much like to get an OLED, but I'm too scared or getting burn-in since I would use it as my main PC monitor. Yes, a little maintenance and care would probably keep the display in a OK state for many years, but every I would go a bit more mad from thinking about it. :D

For now, I'm waiting for some good 4K120 FALD that would not break my wallet. Until then my 49XE9005 serves me well. Great TV.

I would very much like to get an OLED, but I'm too scared or getting burn-in since I would use it as my main PC monitor. Yes, a little maintenance and care would probably keep the display in a OK state for many years, but every I would go a bit more mad from thinking about it. :D

Maybe a lower-priced OLED would be okay, use for a few years, upgrade again, see if OLED has improved then or if there are alternatives.

That is, don't approach it as your last TV.

Though there was a time when people would keep their TVs for decades.

Not so much any more.

It just seems like so much hassle and concerns to deal with. Are cheap OLEDs even up to anti-burn-in quality of the LG B6?

Here's what was said about the B6: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...tion-burn-thread-photos-149.html#post59823330

I'm not sure how the new replacement panel will fare, but FYI, we had our B6 on OLED light 60 when new and got burn-in from MSNBC after only about 6 months at roughly 4 hours per day. Here's some things you can try to avoid burn-in with news channels:
1. Turn OLED light down as much as you're comfortable with.
2. Turn Color down as much as you're comfortable with.
3. Use all-direction zoom, stretch diagonally to the max, and move picture until logos/banners are off screen. (Won't prevent burn-in from faces in center of screen over time.)
4. Turn the TV off at least every 4 hours to allow the short compensation cycle to run (no proof this helps, just theory).
5. Don't watch news channels.

Newer models have better life improvements:
180*4 = 720 hours to prominent burn-in, which makes sense at 60 OLED light considering 2016 panels burnt-in prominently at 500 hours or so at max brightness. 2017 panels took that 500 to 3,000+ hours. That's 6x improvement. 2018 had their red subpixel boosted further and then 2019 ones even more. So yeah, newer panels will last way, way longer than 6 months, even if you watch news for 4 hours everyday. You'll still get burn-in, but not in 6 months. 4-5 years, probable.

Use all-direction zoom, stretch diagonally to the max, and move picture until logos/banners are off screen. (Won't prevent burn-in from faces in center of screen over time.)
That's kinda ridiculous as you are cutting out a lot of the picture.

Better just to watch streamed content that doesn't have logos on it. ;)

That's kinda ridiculous as you are cutting out a lot of the picture.

With OLED (and non-OLED screens) exhibiting burn-for over a decade I'm surprised that broadcasters have not rowed-back on the amount of persistent logos on screen.

I've set my LG's burnin protection options to maximum, in practise this means when when my screen is mostly static the screen blanks with little random sparkly effects showing on screen - just to indicate that the TV has not turned off. Even picking up the remote, which has an accelerometer inside, switch the screen back on.

This is what LG state on their webpage:

OLED Image Retention or Burn-In: Burn-in and image retention are possible on virtually any display. However, with an LG OLED TV, any risk of burn-in or image retention have been addressed through the use of technology that not only helps protect against damage to the screen, but features self-healing properties so that any short-term image retention that may occur is quickly rectified. It is rare for an average TV consumer to create an environment that could result in burn-in. Most cases of burn-in in televisions is a result of static images or on-screen elements displaying on the screen uninterrupted for many hours or days at a time – with brightness typically at peak levels. So, it is possible to create image retention in almost any display if one really tries hard enough. And even if image retention does occur from extreme usage, it can usually be mitigated within a short period of time by turning the display off for a while, and watching a few hours of varying content (such as your standard TV watching and channel-surfing).

Additionally, LG OLED TVs come with special features and settings to preserve image quality and prevent burn in and image retention. First, there is a Screen Saver feature that will turn on automatically if the TV detects that a static image is displayed on screen after approximately two minutes. There are also three options (available in Menu setting > Picture settings > OLED panel settings) that can be used to preserve image quality. The first of these is the Clear Panel Noise feature that preserves the quality of the image on the display panel by resetting the TV so that it clears the pixels. This feature can be turned on when needed within the settings mentioned above. The second feature that can be employed is the Screen Shift feature which, moves the screen slightly at regular intervals to preserve image quality. A third option is the Logo Luminance Adjustment, which can detect static logos on the screen and reduce brightness to help decrease permanent image retention.

So, in short: Reasonable, responsible usage of an OLED TV, combined with powerful image preservation abilities should result in a seamless home entertainment experience.​

I've had a few OLED devices, including PS Vita, iPhones but have yet to experience burnin on any. Even Vita and I used the heck out of that thing!

Can confirm vita oled doesn't have burn in despite being abused (I used it to play ps1 games with no mitigation for OLED characteristics)

also can confirm that LG is incorrect. LCD can't have burn in, it does able to have image retention issue tho. Afaik rtings also basically says lcd can't have burn in.

On a technical level, LCD probably does have burn in. That is, the colours of the elements will fade over subjection to light. However, it'd be too minimal to affect the picture. So it has burn in in principle, but not in practice. LG would just be overplaying that to downplay the impact on their OLEDs.

Another issue barely ever mentioned is the aging of the LEDs in lcd displays. Over time the LEDs can change colour temperature and/or lose their luminance. This issue is exacerbated with full array local dimming displays. Even with calibration the aged LEDs can reduce the displays total colour gamut.

I work in a large office and we have dozens of Sony backlit lcds and many of them are exhibiting discolouration and dimmed zones after just a few years. These displays run more than 12 hours per day however. But these displays also aren’t running at peak brightness or displaying hdr content.

All displays have their shortcomings. The trade offs are well known and should always be considered. Btw LCDs can get burn in, but it isn’t as common with the latest displays. Simply check out rtings OLED burn in test. The lg lcd tested aged very poorly.

On LCDs you cannot control this problem!

xiM9d.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/EakYU5X#NYeRuhM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

In contrast to LCDs they can not be within a plasma or OLED screen.

A colleague of mine bought a new 4000 € SONY Premium LCD in the summer and a few days later there were 50 such insects in the picture. They were dead and left feces behind. My laptops are also affected. I don't have any other insects in the house but even a very fine window screen mesh doesn't help against them. Sending the TV or laptop back is not possible and these insects come back every summer.

Compared to this the "burn-in" problem of the OLEDs is quite relaxing.

Last edited:
Are OLEDs more prone to burn in than plasmas?
I had a Samsung plasma for about 8 years before I bought LG 65C9 OLED.
Never had any burn in in the plasma. I didn't especially avoid any static images, just daily TV watching, movies and a lot of console gaming.

Yes, if the OLED is model year 2016 or 2017 LG panel, it will happen. Less so in 2018 and nearly improbable on 2019 or 2020. This is related to substantial changes they made in panel design for quality of life.

Early plasmas had massive burn-in issues as well in their first few years. It wasn't until later year changes that made it a total non-issue.

On LCDs you cannot control this problem!

xiM9d.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/EakYU5X#NYeRuhM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

In contrast to LCDs they can not be within a plasma or OLED screen.

A colleague of mine bought a new 4000 € SONY Premium LCD in the summer and a few days later there were 50 such insects in the picture. They were dead and left feces behind. My laptops are also affected. I don't have any other insects in the house but even a very fine window screen mesh doesn't help against them. Sending the TV or laptop back is not possible and these insects come back every summer.

Compared to this the "burn-in" problem of the OLEDs is quite relaxing.

Is there no TV with glued LCD? On phones, high-end laptop and tablet, it's quite common to find glued LCD.

Still enjoying my can't-get-infected-with-bugs LG C9. I especially appreciate how fast apps load. It's basically instant and faster than my Shield TV.

The only thing that annoys me a little bit, and this is really one of those why did they do this kind of things, is you cannot switch to TV from an app such as Netflix. You have to select the TV icon from the home menu first. But weirdly enough you can switch directly to TV by pressing one of the numerical buttons on the remote if the TV is switched to a HDMI port. Why wouldn't you allow the same from one of the TV's apps?

Also Nvidia gamestream and HDR broke. I don't know if this is due to a TV update or driver update though.

Still enjoying my can't-get-infected-with-bugs LG C9. I especially appreciate how fast apps load. It's basically instant and faster than my Shield TV.
This still pleasantly surprises me. Watching Netflix in the evening, turning off the TV, then turning it on the following evening and Netflix pops up almost immediately and is ready to go. Likewise switching between Netflix, Prime, YouTube is so quick.

The only thing that annoys me a little bit, and this is really one of those why did they do this kind of things, is you cannot switch to TV from an app such as Netflix. You have to select the TV icon from the home menu first.
If you add TV channels as Quick Access items you can. :yep2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the current lg software allows you to switch to new active input with just one button press?

I mean

1. Watch Netflix
2. Turn on PS4
3. New device detected icon pop up
4. Press OK
5. Instantly switched to PS4

Old version of webos, I think webos 2, was able to do that. But lg removed that feature. I wonder if they add that feature back. I think, it's now webos 3.x?

This still pleasantly surprises me. Watching Netflix in the evening, turning off the TV, then turning it on the following evening and Netflix pops up almost immediately and is ready to go. Likewise switching between Netflix, Prime, YouTube is so quick.

If you add TV channels as Quick Access items you can. :yep2:

I wonder how much of the Palm legacy lives on in the newest versions of WebOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back