Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think it would be nice if they had a line graph of the frame times of the entire captured run with a box whisker plot drawn vertically beside it with the whiskers aligned to the high, low on the line graph. Then be able to select a range of the capture and have it show you a new box whisker for that selection, beside the box whisker for the whole. Maybe be able to click on a quartile or a point in the box whisker and jump to sections of the capture that are representative of that data.

Maybe overkill.

@Scott_Arm, yes its a good idea, but I was under the impression that they manually count the resolution 'by hand' which sounds nuts as such a thing is far more easy for AI to do than recognizing a cat in a picture etc

Resident Evil 7's Xbox One X patch offers a big boost over the standard console
But how does it compare against PS4 Pro?

Written Article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...one-x-offers-a-big-leap-over-standard-console

If it's 1800p on Pro against the 2160p on Xbox One X, there is a catch. Anti-aliasing differs between the two, and that seemingly has a bigger impact than either machine's base resolution. Running side-by-side comparisons really is a fascinating litmus test here and in motion each console has pros and cons. Xbox One X, for example, offers the cleanest image on console by far and PS4 Pro does produce more shimmer and visual noise, especially in busy areas like the opening forest. The visual output may suggest that Microsoft's machine is running equivalent to the FXAA+TAA mode that's available on PC. It's extremely thorough, but judging by the ghosting artefacts behind moving objects, PS4 Pro may also have a temporal component.

The downside to Xbox One X? Well, despite the higher base pixel count, the image as a whole is a touch softer than PS4 Pro's. This may be down to varying anti-aliasing solutions. There's no doubt Xbox One X gives a more pristine result overall, and shimmer is reduced - but perhaps its anti-aliasing approach is a double-edged sword here. Regardless of the suggested 1800p vs 2180p contest, it all boils down to a choice between X's clean but softer image, or the sharp but visually noisier output on PS4 Pro.

There are a few other differences to factor in. Texture resolution, filtering quality and even draw distance are identical between Pro and Xbox One X. The one area that is visibly improved on X hardware is in shadow quality. PS4 Pro suffers from more stippling on dynamic shadow edges - whereas Microsoft's machine produces a clean outline all the way through. In fairness, it's not something you'd notice outside of scenes in broad daylight, but it is a plus for X owners nevertheless.

Does the xb1x have a hardware post processing like they did with the launch xb1?

If it does, they really improved it and made it much more neutral, the previous one was sharpening way too much and ended up turned off.

Edit: I wonder how post processing affect their pixel counting, if it soften it would reduce HF, and if it shapens (even just edges) it would increase HF. So it could prevents algorithms from detecting correctly unless they have special versions of games with debug data? How can they know the frame buffer render resolution unless they do something in the frequency domain?

Last edited:
I think if it does have the same scaler available, then it too is controllable by the developers like how a few early games that opted for their own scaling on original Xbox One. I don't know if the controllability was anything more than simple binary toggle OFF or ON.

I had the impression the sharpening/ringing was simply due to using bicubic resampling.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-red-dead-redemption-4k-xbox-one-x-analysis

Xbox One X's 4K Red Dead Redemption looks sensational
And it's the closest we'll get to an enhanced PC version.

The headline news? Red Dead Redemption is now playable on Xbox One X at a true, native 4K. Ahead of the sequel's promised October 2018 release date, the Xbox 360 classic is added to a growing list of back-compat titles running on X hardware, enhanced at the emulator level to provide a full native 4K resolution - while retaining the original's pass of 2x MSAA. The fact that the game has finally broken free of its original 720p resolution limit is a big deal for another reason too - notoriously, Red Dead Redemption never received a PC release, meaning that this new Xbox One X-powered refresh is likely to be the best rendition of the game we'll ever get.

At its best, the enhancements offered by Xbox One X are revelatory. At 4K resolution, effects like the heat haze and light shafts stand out brilliantly as you walk down the Armadillo Town's streets. Even small interactions between NPCs are easier to pick out at a distance, and perhaps most strikingly, on a clear night, the bed of stars overhead looks pin-sharp - one of the clearest signs of that upgrade to 4K. As impressive as it is however, it's not quite on par with a full remaster. After all, the textures and HUD elements still rely on the original Xbox 360 assets. Even so, while there is a rigid, somewhat angular look to Rockstar's creation that hints at last-gen limits in poly count, this world still often holds up convincingly enough as a modern title.

As things stand, Red Dead Redemption is possibly the biggest game to hit Xbox One X's back-compat library so far. As a warm-up to the sequel later this year, it's also a real feather in the Microsoft's cap - the perfect way to refresh your memory ahead of that release. There is a massive 'what if' hanging over Rockstar's other, older games now though, with X support working so handsomely in this case. We'd love to see Grand Theft Auto 4 revived in a similar way, and even the lesser-known - but quite brilliant - Table Tennis would also be a welcome addition to the line-up of X-enhanced titles. The jump to 4K along with performance improvements makes old games feel fresh again, and we feel that the Rockstar library still has more to offer.

Does the xb1x have a hardware post processing like they did with the launch xb1?

If it does, they really improved it and made it much more neutral, the previous one was sharpening way too much and ended up turned off.

Edit: I wonder how post processing affect their pixel counting, if it soften it would reduce HF, and if it shapens (even just edges) it would increase HF. So it could prevents algorithms from detecting correctly unless they have special versions of games with debug data? How can they know the frame buffer render resolution unless they do something in the frequency domain?
Their algorythim consists of looking at captured data frame-by-frame, looking for aliased diagonal edges and counting the stair-steps by hand on MS paint.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-god-of-war-tech-analysis

Some spoiler

On loading up the game and looking at the title screen, the towering figure of Kratos tells us a lot about the visual evolution Santa Monica Studio has delivered compared to previous God of War games. As the camera pulls in, you'll notice the sweat and wrinkles on his worn brow, the pores across his weathered skin, the veins running along his battered hands and the detail of his beard. It's also our first look at how animation and camera work combine beautifully in this game, and the sheer precision in all areas of the artwork.

Getting up close like this showcases the extreme detail, whether it's on Kratos himself, his son Atreus or any of the other friends and foes you'll encounter on the journey. Thanks to the game's reliance on physically-based rendering - leather, cloth and fur all appears highly realistic and sits naturally within the world. Hair and beards both look and move realistically, with excellent shading and detail.

Animation plays as important a role as raw detail and sets a new standard for the series. Attacks connect with and stagger enemies realistically, and everything from tossing an axe at the head of a large creature to swooping up the undead with a vicious attack lends a sense of weight and momentum to the game. Larger enemies - a staple of earlier series entries - also make an appearance, featuring both excellent cinematic and in-game animation.

Even more impressive are the cinematic sequences, which allow for pre-calculated displays of physics and destruction - running an enemy through the side of a mountain anyone? There's some impressive stuff on display here.

Character realisation is sensational in this game but ultimately, it's the environments that really steal the show. Early showings of God of War intentionally focused on the gorgeous snowy forests of Midgard but there is so much more here.
From the towering peaks to the smallest details, every inch of the world receives careful attention to detail. Look closely at any scene and it's easy to appreciate - every wooden beam, slab of stone and snarling tree branch is suitably rounded and realistic.

This is the first time I regretted getting a PC instead of waiting for Xbox One X. :yep2:

God of war looks pretty damn good.
Not convinced about the 16xAF. It looks more like improved texture mip selection owing to the jump in pixel : texel.

Yeah I thought the same thing. 16x AF would look pristine but it looks kinda spotty. Still a night and day improvement though

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-red-dead-redemption-4k-xbox-one-x-analysis

one of the best games ever! Now that it can be played at 4k...it means that it deserves a couple of new playthroughs once again. What a flawless game. One of the most interesting and FUN things in the game is finding the unique and special horses like the Hungarian half or the American standard breed.

The way you get them, mysterious and tricky makes it all the more special.

Not convinced about the 16xAF. It looks more like improved texture mip selection owing to the jump in pixel : texel.
Some of the textures are really bad in the game. But some of them are really good. It's hard to tell, but I can grab screen shots of these perfectly detailed textures from far away and they would be right beside another texture that is blurred beyond belief. (straight on, not even on an angle)

This is the first time I regretted getting a PC instead of waiting for Xbox One X. :yep2:
You couldn't have known this was going to happen. No one saw this coming. I'm not sure if I'd do a second play through though even though I feel like the experience would be a lot better than the 720p blurriness I was dealing with earlier last year.

Some of the textures are really bad in the game. But some of them are really good. It's hard to tell, but I can grab screen shots of these perfectly detailed textures from far away and they would be right beside another texture that is blurred beyond belief. (straight on, not even on an angle)
The good ones are probably just tiled? :p

The good ones are probably just tiled? :p
lol i'm not sure, haha I assume so. It also looks like there are some textures that have been added in for this version. I doubt that they shipped with barrel quality being that high.

DF went back to test our RDR: Undead Nightmare .

Well, we've put the expansion through the grinder and the good news is that the excellent performance level seen on the standard RDR translates entirely to the Undead Nightmare too. Remarkably, this means that the game outperforms the standard Xbox One back-compat game in taxing scenes, while comprehensively besting the frame-rates in equivalent scenes on original 360 hardware.

Aside from extremely rare frame-pacing issues, the emulator delivers a locked 30 frames per second - and all of the benefits seen in the standard game, including the 9x resolution boost and texture mip-mapping tweaks for the most extreme detail possible, are just as impressive here too. So with that in mind, if you're considering checking out the game, perhaps tracking down a GOTY physical copy with the expansion bundled might be the preferable way forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back