Microsoft XBox One X Enhanced Games

Was about to post this!
Anyway, This is among the few games that renders at 900p on X1 and 4k on X1X, and this is with dynamic shadows enabled. I suspect we will see a few more as the memory solution on the X1 is also a bottleneck stopping devs from hitting 1080p. The X1X eliminates these problems.

In other news Hitman has 2 modes; High detail mode with Native 4k and High performance mode with 60fps. High res textures and better filtering, increased shadow details and maps;
this looks really good

i believe that doesn't constitute 1X enhanced per ms definition.
it has to have some work done to it.
if it only has the resolution bumped up from XO resolution then that would be enough.
otherwise it's just running the game at optimal XO settings of resolution and framerate.

as I understand it, MS does not force developers to require 1X enhancements.

You know, there is a "runaway" smiley. :mrgreen:

If I would work for Microsoft I would advertise for Xbox One X with games, which are created with the latest XDK. IIRC such games will full support the Scorpio APU (no "fake" ESRAM, Rapid Math (?) etc).

Games just compiled against the Oct xdk could actually be worse than a game that's not, if no additional work is done.
Pre Oct xdk, games receive 16AF, max dynamic resolution & framerate, ram disk. Would loose 16AF and ram disk with just a compile.
I see no reason why they wouldn't up the AF at least though.

They've done a good job of supporting older builds at the system level. Really need to also get that message out, as I was on Reddit and still keep seeing people ask about older games

If I would work for Microsoft I would advertise for Xbox One X with games, which are created with the latest XDK. IIRC such games will full support the Scorpio APU (no "fake" ESRAM, Rapid Math (?) etc).
Takes time. I think 3P games will speak for themselves, not much more MS needs to do.

The problem with dropping tech is that people get tech wrong. Or have no idea what tech does. Lol.

I would probably just push and pay for a couple graphical powerhouses to showcase the new tech.

Last edited:
Its impressive the amount of native 4k games the X1X is getting.
We definitely predicted this; so I'm glad our predictions came true.
We all want reconstruction, but not every game can support it (especially those already shipped). So this is perfect that the option exists for other forms of getting better resolution, and if required to brute force 4K native.

We definitely predicted this; so I'm glad our predictions came true.
We all want reconstruction, but not every game can support it (especially those already shipped). So this is perfect that the option exists for other forms of getting better resolution, and if required to brute force 4K native.

Yeah we did. It was obvious given the power on offer. I guess I am more impressed by the 900p and dynamic res games that go on to hit native 4k. That was a bit less predictable but its nice to see.

QB is like 175GB I read. That would be a deal breaker for me with data caps. I recall the 100GB Halo 5 killed me one month.

From Dualshockers:
With the new Xbox One X patch included, the base size for Quantum Break has ballooned to a staggering 102.5GB. When including the size of the optional TV show portion of the game, which comes in at 75.6GB, the total becomes 178.1GB.

Of course, the TV show portion of Quantum Break doesn’t need to be downloaded natively on the console and can instead be streamed in-game.

did ask before but no one seemed to know what the TV portions were encoded in for QB. Be a shame if it's not x265, wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't for the pc.

I'm still hoping that now with multi disk support that they will put the 4k assets on disks in future releases.

but yea, games are really getting huge, is there any compression technology out that would be suitable for games if it had dedicated silicon?

be interesting to know what the average enhanced game patch size is.

The nearest helpful tech out there is the multi-tagging content system, making aspects of the game as being optional. However it wont help if its not used by devs or if they dont split out the different language audio.

Procedural generation and fusion power are just around the corner!
I remember when procedurally generated textures was the great hope. I feel that the lack of compression on audio is a poor choice, as poor compression on video files.

I remember when procedurally generated textures was the great hope. I feel that the lack of compression on audio is a poor choice, as poor compression on video files.

Yeah, every now and again some 64k demo pops up that amazes and gets hopes up, then an artist rains on the parade by pointing out that there's not enough control.

I think there's potential for generating textures on the fly by baking larger textures from smaller, varied ones and applying decals, but the pressure to do that won't come until we're really space constrained. And with even Nintendo platforms opting for 16GB downloads because the carts aren't big enough, you have to guess bloat is the goat going forwards.

Completely agree that the lack of compression on audio is truly puzzling though. Many GBs of data needlessly thrown around. In engine cut scenes have always been my favourite way of getting round video files. :D

Back