Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, its not deep colour but wide colour gamut. It was the reason I had bought the TV back then, a bigger portion Adobe rgb gamut. The Live colour aspect must be the parallel of Deep colour.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

well, its not deep colour but wide colour gamut. It was the reason I had bought the TV back then, a bigger portion Adobe rgb gamut. The Live colour aspect must be the parallel of Deep colour.

OK, that's actually a lot closer, but still not exactly the same thing. The DCI-P3 color space (Wide Color Gamut) is slightly different than the Adobe RGB one and both are actually less than the Rec.2020 color space that the UHD specs are based around.

Last edited:
yea VA panel. The only bad thing I heard about it is that brightness is not as high as reviewrs would want.

I would be real selective about what 4K TV to buy. A cheap 4K TV may seem like a simple, quick and reasonable way to experience 4K. But take it from me (moved from a 55" Vizio E series to a 65" KS8500), there is noticeable difference between a middling performance and decent performance.

I would consider waiting a while, saving up a bit and finding an opportunity (new year models forcing price cuts to last year's well reviewed models) to buy a better TV in a higher price bracket.

Last edited:
More and more pretty sure I wont be happy with my stopgap set. It looks fantastic and fantastic value, but my mind knows it's only 330 CD/M^2 and wants more. Plus it bugs me that it's hard to be certain it's in game mode when in HDR, at least it confuses me. And the input lag is middling (35-40ms) even in game mode according to reviewers. And the worry about how much Le Eco is going to be viable going forward and support it (although somebody on a forum claimed Le Eco said it's going to continue receiving updates)

Given these parameters ideally: Under 35ms lag, ~700 nits brightness, and 60-65", all for around $500-700 (not as crazy as you think if you keep an eye on deal forums, crazy discount combinations happen sooner or later). There dont seem to really be any options. For those price points and brightness levels there's really only two options, 2017 Vizio M Series and TCL P series. Vizio M series lag is a little high to my liking. The TCL 65" has a nebulous release date and at least the MSRP is $1k, I have to depend on finding a good discounting to get into my price range. And of course I'm wanting to find something by X1X release time or nearly. A lot to ask given there's no release date yet on the TCL 65"

Given all that, the 55" TCL looks better and better. But it will still be by and large, a stopgap. Due to the "small" 55" size.

Basically 65", $500-700, great lag, and brightness ~700 CD/M^2 doesn't really look achievable this holiday. Harumph.

But I think I've learned I prioritize a "good" 55" set over a mediocre 65" one.

Maybe given that, I should just hang out with my stopgap Le Eco for the first few months of X1X, maybe no use trading a stopgap for a better stopgap. OTOH the TCL should be acquirable for well less than even the nominal 599 with a little waiting, which isn't a lot for a stopgap. And it's weird, I want to be fully happy with my stopgap, if that makes any sense. So yeah, the 55" TCL looking better and better.

It sucks that the X1X is coming out at the wrong time to get everything I want out of a long term TV upgrade.

More and more pretty sure I wont be happy with my stopgap set. It looks fantastic and fantastic value, but my mind knows it's only 330 CD/M^2 and wants more. Plus it bugs me that it's hard to be certain it's in game mode when in HDR, at least it confuses me. And the input lag is middling (35-40ms) even in game mode according to reviewers. And the worry about how much Le Eco is going to be viable going forward and support it (although somebody on a forum claimed Le Eco said it's going to continue receiving updates)

Given these parameters ideally: Under 35ms lag, ~700 nits brightness, and 60-65", all for around $500-700 (not as crazy as you think if you keep an eye on deal forums, crazy discount combinations happen sooner or later). There dont seem to really be any options. For those price points and brightness levels there's really only two options, 2017 Vizio M Series and TCL P series. Vizio M series lag is a little high to my liking. The TCL 65" has a nebulous release date and at least the MSRP is $1k, I have to depend on finding a good discounting to get into my price range. And of course I'm wanting to find something by X1X release time or nearly. A lot to ask given there's no release date yet on the TCL 65"

Given all that, the 55" TCL looks better and better. But it will still be by and large, a stopgap. Due to the "small" 55" size.

Basically 65", $500-700, great lag, and brightness ~700 CD/M^2 doesn't really look achievable this holiday. Harumph.

But I think I've learned I prioritize a "good" 55" set over a mediocre 65" one.

Maybe given that, I should just hang out with my stopgap Le Eco for the first few months of X1X, maybe no use trading a stopgap for a better stopgap. OTOH the TCL should be acquirable for well less than even the nominal 599 with a little waiting, which isn't a lot for a stopgap. And it's weird, I want to be fully happy with my stopgap, if that makes any sense. So yeah, the 55" TCL looking better and better.

It sucks that the X1X is coming out at the wrong time to get everything I want out of a long term TV upgrade.

This TV is presenting me with a similar dilemma. I find the price point and feature set really appealing, and the things it gets marked down for are actually things that either don't matter to me or are things I can live with. Also, it's 5" larger than my current Hisense 50H8C. BUT.. if I do buy this, it will be my 3rd TV in 3 years, which is pretty ridiculous, and will *still* only be a stop-gap pending the arrival of HDMI 2.1 and my "no compromises" "for keeps" set.

Guess to wait is the right thing here? Though I dont think prices will fall soon enough as Most TVs dont even have proper HDR hardware or brightness levels yet.

Wouldn't it be better to get a 4K display and forget HDR till it gets sorted commercially?

I was going to get a 4K HDR set before getting the 1X, but may just wait to get both. sigh
Every year I think this is the year to upgrade only to keep delaying.

This TV is presenting me with a similar dilemma. I find the price point and feature set really appealing, and the things it gets marked down for are actually things that either don't matter to me or are things I can live with. Also, it's 5" larger than my current Hisense 50H8C. BUT.. if I do buy this, it will be my 3rd TV in 3 years, which is pretty ridiculous, and will *still* only be a stop-gap pending the arrival of HDMI 2.1 and my "no compromises" "for keeps" set.

Oh I'd get it if it was 5" larger! I really want a size upgrade with every TV upgrade (although, I suppose that has to stop at some point!). Any size upgrade, I dont have to get way bigger. 60" would be fine for me, but that size barely exists. 65", prices get much higher fast.

Wish TCL would drop a release date on their 65".

I sit I think about 10' from my set. I used to think 55" was huge, but now I see charts that say for example, 4k wont benefit me at that distance and size (actually these charts require me to have a 95" TV or something, not happening!). Which makes me want a bigger set all the more and start to think of 55" as tiny...

I guess I used to be fine at the same distance with a 42" (think it was 42). So 55 should be good enough...

Seems like you can get some 55" Samsung's and LG's 55" down in that $600 area on sale, but they usually have inferior spec, maybe 300-400 range brightness. I guess that's the tradeoff, more known quality brand, vs better specs. I've learned I definitely want a bright TV though, just to see what it's all about.

Another thing that made me want brighter is I only have two HDR games on my One S, Gears 4 and the Forza Horizon demo. The Forza demo starts with a in-game slider that asks you to adjust HDR brightness, and there's a small white box with a Forza logo, it asks you to adjust brightness higher till the logo is no longer visible. Well on my Le Eco, the logo is still visible with max brightness. So yep, doesn't get bright enough I guess...

Last edited:
Well, ordered a KU7000 ! Was an unmissable deal and went ahead with it. even if its HDR is bad, it can serve my 4k needs for both the ps4 and PC. Now the wait begins :D ! lol, the hardest part.

My pro should arrive by the weekend, hoping this arrives too for a majestic dance of 4k firepower on Sunday :LOL: ! But yea, most probably the TV will reach next week. Hoping the HDR performance isnt TOO bad and I can get some wow factor out of it !

More people needs to see HDR in person (preferably on a good set) to truly appreciate the difference :), it literally shines a new light on gaming and movies.

Not to twist the knife even more, but last night I watched the 4K Blu-ray of John Wick 2. The use of HDR is just immense, really makes my TV shine to the max.

I'm now stupidly fully invested in 4K Bluray and it will hurt to watch anything in SDR, like it hurts to play SDR games after experiencing the great HDR games this year.

Guess to wait is the right thing here? Though I dont think prices will fall soon enough as Most TVs dont even have proper HDR hardware or brightness levels yet.

Wouldn't it be better to get a 4K display and forget HDR till it gets sorted commercially?

4k is not really noticeable on a TV screen tho. Heck, I use performance mode on horizon zero dawn and ffxv and didn't miss the extra sharpness of 4k at all.

It's more noticeable on PC sitting distance.

Anyway, watched an oled screen yesterday and yeah... The color is so much better.

4k is not really noticeable on a TV screen tho. Heck, I use performance mode on horizon zero dawn and ffxv and didn't miss the extra sharpness of 4k at all.

It's more noticeable on PC sitting distance.

Anyway, watched an oled screen yesterday and yeah... The color is so much better.

I've been saying this forever, and it's one of the reasons why this whole "real 4k" versus "kinda 4k" is the biggest new fake PR bullcrap of the last years. You can't see the difference most of the time. There's no point. HDR is where the eye candy is, with an increased resolution that might or might not be 4k. And no more bloody 30fps for gods sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back