Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The B6 series has pretty much civil prices now for this class of products. If B7 reaches these prices it's probably the right time as there's not any other fab competition to LG yet as far as I know to really force the prices down.
Is the B7 just the 2017 model of the B6? Has the B6 ceased production? I've looked around, hard to find B6's

B7 is the 2017 line with improvements(more brightness, some better light sensor management and afaik also latency) but it has no 3d mode. At least that's my understanding.

P.S. You can find B6 55 inch <1700 Euro and 65 inch :love:000Euro here.

B7 is the 2017 line with improvements(more brightness, some better light sensor management and afaik also latency) but it has no 3d mode. At least that's my understanding.

P.S. You can find B6 55 inch <1700 Euro and 65 inch :love:000Euro here.

The B6 didn't have 3D either :)

Well after hooking the Le Eco up I'm not really blown away by it like these 4K TV store demos. It's a nice, colorful seeming TV but not really appreciably better than my 1080P set to my eyes. Maybe my eyes just aren't that good. Maybe you really need that peak brightness. Maybe it's content issue. So far the only 4K/HDR content I've really played was either a couple 4K youtubes and the DF Forza 4k/HDR vids. I'm assuming those are low bitrate, but I was a little underwhelmed.

As far as the brightness, even the Vizio E series which has lower peak brightness impresses me in store demos, so that kinda cant be it. Need to find higher bitrate content I suppose. I dont even have a netflix membership to stream something...

May pick up an S today, that could give me some more content options, including picking up a cheap UHD Blu Ray to test it out. Honestly so far this is looking like a little bit of a bust though.

Last edited:
Well after hooking the Le Eco up I'm not really blown away by it like these 4K TV store demos. It's a nice, colorful seeming TV but not really appreciably better than my 1080P set to my eyes. Maybe my eyes just aren't that good. Maybe you really need that peak brightness. Maybe it's content issue. So the only 4K/HDR content I've really played was either a couple 4K youtubes and the DF Forza 4k/HDR vids. I'm assuming those are low bitrate, but I was a little underwhelmed.

As far as the brightness, even the Vizio E series which has lower peak brightness impresses me in store demos, so that kinda cant be it. Need to find higher bitrate content I suppose. I dont even have a netflix membership to stream something...

May pick up an S today, that could give me some more content options, including picking up a cheap UHD Blu Ray to test it out. Honestly so far this is looking like a little bit of a bust though.
As with most TVs one of the most important component besides the panel is the image processing SoC used in a particular model. For exemple; all 4K OLED TVs currently use the same LG panels but different manufacturers ad their own image Processing chips with algorithms, calibration etc..That's why, even though the LG, Sony, Panasonic OLED tvs sport the exact same panels they have different characteristics and why the later cost a lot more..see the Panasonic review I linked above. Cheapo 4K TVs usually suck..the just slap-in an off-the-shelf 4K panel and call it a day.

I mean like I said though I've kinda ruled that out because even the low end Vizios really impress me in store demos. So it must be either a content issue (needing higher bitrate content) or 4k/HDr just isn't that mindblowing (some on GAF were saying that in a recent thread, so it's an option).

Will continue to investigate.

I mean like I said though I've kinda ruled that out because even the low end Vizios really impress me in store demos. So it must be either a content issue (needing higher bitrate content) or 4k/HDr just isn't that mindblowing (some on GAF were saying that in a recent thread, so it's an option).

Will continue to investigate.
HDR is a pain in the ass to setup right. You have to take your time and do a ton of testing.

No amount of setup will turn that 300nit brightness into even an average HDR-experience. I Hope Rangers can enjoy his purchase and perhaps that TV is good for the price in mixed usage. HDR and it doesn't mix well though.

Can't he still return it?

Only problem about getting something cheaper is that if it's underwhelming, you may not have an easy time getting rid of it used either.

Not too many people will come and buy a 55-inch TV used, having to pick it up and then transport it home, installing it, when they could get it delivered for well under $1000 these days.

Some netflix 4k/HDR content was a nice improvement. Overall I'm pleased with the set now, although still not amazed. Youtube's even non 4K look excellent. the Android TV OS is also really nice and mostly snappy, the remote also has a mic for voice search. These TV OS's have come so far from just 2-3 years ago. Really no need for a Roku device or anything with this TV.

I kind of doubt brightness is the gamechanger people make it out to be (even though I do harp on it a lot as a spec), but that's just IMO. In my book this set has decent brightness, it can get to 345 CD/M^2. Many reviews like CNET still give even more dim sets like Vizio E series that barely cracks 200 cd/m^2 pretty solid marks for picture quality. This TV is just a stopgap anyway.

Since it's Wal Mart I suppose I have 90 days to return. Keeping it currently though.

That TCL tv seems to be best viewed in HDR Dark/Warm preset. Local dimming on medium. That's what I could find. It's 550+ nits peak brightness, which isn't leading, but reviews say it's not bad.

Oh, I didn't follow the thread very well then.

Yeah post 175 explains it. He found a good deal on 55" LeEco 4K TV for $349, which is a very good price for a TV that seems to have fairly good features, outside of HDR.
Peak brightness and color reproduction at high brightness levels simply is super important for good HDR as are good blacks. With a VA-panel the LeEco TV should have atleast good blacks, even though it's an edge-led.

For those interested in OLED and can wait, next years panels should comfortably exceed 1000nits post calibration.

The current panel are held back from having to support 3D (the panel can, they just remove the other bits). Next years panels will be free as this and also a new gen of OLED panels so expect a decent jump in peak brightness.

I'm loving the TV after an evening with it. It's not transformative, but the improvement of HDR and 4K is subtle and strong the more I watch.

One review I read said these TV's try to apply an HDR like effect even to SDR content, and I definitely noticed. Playing some Gears 4 on my non-S Xbox (no HDR), there happened to be a section with a lot of fire on a wall in the backdrop, and it was far noticeably brighter than on my old set. This was something immediately noticeable even to a dummy like me.

Youtubes in 4k look really great, the colors really shine. There's one on the homepage about a black widow and some Steve Irwin type guy I keep watching and marveling at the color and I dont even think it's HDR (not sure how to tell if it's HDR when playing a youtube, but when I play DF's Forza videos an HDR icon momentarily pops up, and that doesn't pop up on this youtube).

I went to pick up an Xbox One S but there was a deal where you get a 50 gift card back that turned out to be online only, so I ordered online for store pickup and gonna get it in morning.

So yes really liking it now, the improvements aren't all in your face but they're pretty substantial too. And I have not seen something like a UHD Blu Ray where I assume the quality is strongest.

Oh also I always thought 1080P content upscaled to 4k might look bad. Nope, it pretty much looks fantastic. At least as good as on a 1080P display IMO, if not better. So that's a worry gone, Gears 4 1080P looks great on this set.

I have one niggling issue though, game mode combined with HDR is confusing to me. In normal content, the set lets you choose various picture mode like vivid, sports, and game. However on HDR content like the DF vids, it suddenly locks picture mode to "HDR" and you dont have any options (to change to game mode or any other mode). Rtings review made some kind of note about that, saying to put it in game mode before HDR in order to keep low latency on HDR , and that it will" keep the settings from the previous mode before HDR". But, I noticed the individual settings change (example, color temp is listed as "cool" in game mode but "warm" in HDR) so I'm not sure if Rtings just mean low latency is kept or what, since obviously the exact settings dont stay put. It's just the kind of thing that will bother me, I wish there was a more concrete indicator that low latency game mode was on in HDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back