Nvidia Pascal Announcement

That would be the logical conclusion..but 3 out of 4 RX480 4GB cards listed on Newegg have 8Gbps memory so who knows what AMD is really thinking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Both companies wanted to achieve the same thing: introduce some cost reduction for the smaller memory version to increase margins. Nvidia was smarter about it by making sure that the cost savings would end up in their pockets in the form of yield increases.

Both companies wanted to achieve the same thing: introduce some cost reduction for the smaller memory version to increase margins. Nvidia was smarter about it by making sure that the cost savings would end up in their pockets in the form of yield increases.
I would rather say, they were in the position to play that card. AMD OTOH also has to find means and methods to get their marketshare up, which usually involves comparatively attractive cut down models that eat into the margins.

Dosen't RX470 do the same thing for AMD?

kinda but not really, it creates internal competition for the rx480 4gb so people who really want the rx480 won't get the rx470 and just wait until they can't get the rx480 4gb then they get the rx470 as an alternative (if its available) or another board.

Pricing is just screwed up....

Dosen't RX470 do the same thing for AMD?
Yes, except that the name of their cut down part explicitly conveys the message that it's lower performance. ;)
Does it really make sense to have 3 SKUs that are so close to each other both in price and perf? Maybe it does...

Interesting undervolting test with Palit GTX 1080 Jetstream -- trying to extract highest clock rate and run card as efficiently as possible by lowering the chip voltage.

They were able to reach 1759 MHz using only .8v amounting to power consumption of approx. 130 watts. On the flip side they achieved a cpu clock or 2000 MHz using .95v with power consumption roughly at 187 watts.

Original link:
http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=574892

Nvidia highlights Intel Deep Learning benchmark mistakes

Intel claims:
  • Xeon Phi is 2.3x faster in training than GPUs
  • Xeon Phi offers 38% better scaling that GPUs across nodes
  • Xeon Phi delivers strong scaling to 128 nodes while GPUs do not

It seems that these claims have hit a sore spot with rival chipmaker Nvidia. In a blog post earlier this week the green team was keen to point out that "newcomer" Intel was using out of date benchmarks. Nvidia says that deep learning is such a fast moving field some companies might not be able to keep up with cutting edge developments. A case in point is that Nvidia's own architecture and software "have improved neural network training time by over 10x in a year by moving from Kepler to Maxwell to today’s latest Pascal-based systems".
f698fbab-9b24-4535-92e1-bd9f6cc4d07b.png

Offering some constructive criticism for Intel, Nvidia thinks that "deep learning testing against old Kepler GPUs and outdated software versions are mistakes that are easily fixed in order to keep the industry up to date". Nvidia's blog post concludes that while it is "great that Intel is now working on deep learning," the company should endeavour to "get their facts straight".
http://hexus.net/tech/news/industry/95893-nvidia-highlights-intel-deep-learning-benchmark-mistakes/

So I take it you are NOT confused with the AMD RX 480 8GB and the RX 480 4GB.
The only difference between the two is memory, one is 4GB/7Gbps, one 8GB/8Gbps, the GPUs are identical. GTX 1060 3GB has less CUDA-cores and texture units in addition to different memory amount.

So I take it you are NOT confused with the AMD RX 480 8GB and the RX 480 4GB.

Because you was confused seeing a 290 4B and 8Gb configuration ?

The small ( and i reallly say small ) problem is that the 1060 3GB have a different configuration that the 1060.. something more in the line of the 970 and 980 . Peoples are used to see differentt memory config on a same gpu name .. different config of the core ( and so performance ).. thats a bit different..

Last edited:
Because you was confused seeing a 290 4B and 8Gb configuration ?

The small ( and i reallly say small ) problem is that the 1060 3GB have a different configuration that the 1060.. something more in the line of the 970 and 980 . Peoples are used to see differentt memory config on a same gpu name .. different config of the core ( and so performance ).. thats a bit different..

So "Storm in a teacup" then.

Seems like people are jumping to conclusions about performance of the GTX 1060 3GB vs the 6GB model yet have no problem with the RX 480 4GB having slower memory speed vs the RX 480 8GB.

Double standard.

Seems like people are jumping to conclusions about performance of the GTX 1060 3GB vs the 6GB model yet have no problem with the RX 480 4GB having slower memory speed vs the RX 480 8GB.

Double standard.

We have a different memory configurations ( understand size ) on GPU's , since a good decade.. a same gpu name for different numbers of cores and textures units, mean a different performance . need new habitude maybe.... Nvidia is really good, as Apple to bring new habitude for consumers. Its called marketing.. This card should been callled 1050TI... or whatever, but well... who cares, you willl buy a 1060 no, and certainly know that this card have less cuda cores, less textures units that the 1060, its indicated by the size of the memory ?

I joke, but seriously i dont care about it, if someone is enough stupid to buy a 1060 3gb thinking he just buy a 1060 with less Vram, i find that funny. Somwewhere he deserve it ..

On an other way, this card will have excellent performance for his price, making it a good, an excellent deal. So, all good .

Last edited:

Double standard.
No double standard. Officially AMD specs are 7 Gbps memory for the RX480 with 8Gbps at the discretion of partners. Either ways..it's far better than NV's approach where the GPU itself is cut down and yet branded the same.

Tbh I'm actually a bit surprised this was cleared by their legal team after the 970 class action. IMHO this would have been a good opportunity to resurrect the GTS branding and name it 1060 GTS.

PS: With a TMU to ROP ratio of 1.5:1, I think its probably the lowest we've seen in a few years now.

Back