Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
@babcat - I have a hard time trying to stop people dismissing 16nm, GL with 10nm because even I don't believe that is even a remote chance.

I agree that the screen will be 720p, people are being too conservative and are expecting 540p.

On resolution - It will depend on cost won't it? (And cost over the lifetime of the device)

The battery impact between 1080p screens and lower isn't going to be huge.

The res games run at is totally independent of the display. Tegra won't have an issue with scaling or dynamic res if the Vita can do it.

Why do you need a HD display and always make non native games then?
Mobile tech is a bandwidth starved. Nintendo will almost certainly make a edram cache, but a small one.
HD displays will continue to be mass produced for the lifetime of the device, and if anything will only get cheaper, with multiple supplier options. A lower res display doesn't necessarily offer that as there won't be other customers for it.

The NX will have plenty of power to render some types of content at 720 to 1080p. Especially for Nintendo's typical output.

I don't think there can be too big a gap with TV resolutions or games will look like total garbage when plugged into one. (I don't think extra dock processing is at all likely, so at best you get 25% upclock when running from the mains.)

That was my current speculation anyhow. Only a month before we know!

Why do you say only a month before we know? Are you confusing this Nintendo device with the Sony September 7th meetings?

Last edited:
Why do you need a HD display and always make non native games then?
Mobile tech is a bandwidth starved. Nintendo will almost certainly make a edram cache, but a small one.
Some Wii U games renders at 1080p. Their mobile counterparts may render at 720p.

As for those 720p Wii U games, a lot of first-part games are 60 fps. We may see 720p/60 > 720p/30 fps for mobile mode.

The above 2 kind of games are suitable for 720p in mobile mode.

Why do you say only a month before we know? Are you confusing this Nintendo device with the Sony September 7tn meetings?
It was in a WWCFtech item on the Neo reveal, suggesting the placed on the 7th to avoid a possible announcement from Nintendo around Tokyo gameshow. Given no other outlet has given a reveal date for the NX I guess it was just speculation.

Nintendo are obviously running out of time to build a hype train for March though.

It was in a WWCFtech item on the Neo reveal, suggesting the placed on the 7th to avoid a possible announcement from Nintendo around Tokyo gameshow. Given no other outlet has given a reveal date for the NX I guess it was just speculation.

Nintendo are obviously running out of time to build a hype train for March though.
Maybe that's the problem with late nintendo, the more info they give they could derail the train...

Maybe that's the problem with late nintendo, the more info they give they could derail the train...

Especially now that their stockprice is still soaring quite high after the whole Pokemon-hype. Sure, they've fallen a bit, but if the NX doesn't live up to the expectations when they unvail it, they risk the stockprice to fall even more...

Especially now that their stockprice is still soaring quite high after the whole Pokemon-hype. Sure, they've fallen a bit, but if the NX doesn't live up to the expectations when they unvail it, they risk the stockprice to fall even more...
It shows that their ip are still highly valuable, but not tied to a niche system... When their management realize that they could be very profitable going multi for they pad franchises and tailoring some games to pad/mobile audience. Just hoping

Last edited:
Err, if you somehow WANT a thick and bulky phone, just put a case on it? I'm sure you can make it any degree of bulky you choose with a corresponding size case.

OT OT OT I hate that, I need a case for my phone, but it basically changes it from sleek and gorgeous to bulky and nasty :( There's not really a way around it. The slimmer the case the less it's going to actually protect especially the all important face/screen.

They make a Moto I think phone with an "unbreakable" screen, but it's expensive, Verizon exclusive (Verizon is the worst) and the screen is said to not quite be as vibrant as "normal" screens.

/OT OT OT OT

Even if the NX uses Tegra X1 as the chipset for NX, does that mean its not possible to increase the number of shaders? The Tegra as we know it has 256 Maxwell cores, is there anything to stop them from going with more? Perhaps even doubling that? Not to mention if manufacturing is done a newer process, clock speeds could be increased. Who knows, perhaps Nintendo is looking for the cheapest option possible, and an off the shelf Tegra X1 gives them the best bang for the buck. With the right software, a $179-199 hybrid system could do rather well. The Tegra X1 is nearly 3x the Wii U's performance. We have seen Nintendo create some very nice looking games, and if Zelda BOTW looks even better on NX than it does on Wii U, I could see that game selling some serious units at launch. I personally think Nintendo should go cheap. They obviously aren't not trying to convince consumers that their product can be a replacement for the Xbox or PS, but instead more of a Nintendo portable that has the added perk of being able to steam to the TV. The NX wont be the preferred place for COD and Assassins Creed no matter what, their business model needs to be attractive to a wider market. Sony will be out of the portable market going forward, Nintendo can probably sell 10 million+ NX units in Japan alone with Monster Hunter and Splatoon.

HD displays will continue to be mass produced for the lifetime of the device, and if anything will only get cheaper, with multiple supplier options. A lower res display doesn't necessarily offer that as there won't be other customers for it.

The NX will have plenty of power to render some types of content at 720 to 1080p. Especially for Nintendo's typical output.

I don't think there can be too big a gap with TV resolutions or games will look like total garbage when plugged into one. (I don't think extra dock processing is at all likely, so at best you get 25% upclock when running from the mains.)

That was my current speculation anyhow. Only a month before we know!

Smartphones are moving from 800x480 and 854x480 to 720p, like this year or last year, on the low end.
I believe that will be popular for a while and it's close to iPhone SE and iPhone 6S actually : those are 640p and 750p, with about 10% more ppi than 720p 5" screens.

ven if the NX uses Tegra X1 as the chipset for NX, does that mean its not possible to increase the number of shaders? The Tegra as we know it has 256 Maxwell cores, is there anything to stop them from going with more? Perhaps even doubling that?

Of course they can do that, but then it wouldn't be a TX1.

Non native games look blurry.
Just to add,
some modern technology in games can overcome this to some extent with temporal reconstruction.
Downside then is ghosting, but not everyone complained about that in Quantum Break, but yeah I see there being a balance between actual resolution and possibly temporal reconstruction techniques/post processing.
Cheers

It shows that their ip are still highly valuable, but not tied to a niche system... When their management realize that they could be very profitable going multi for they pad franchises and tailoring some games to pad/mobile audience. Just hoping

I've said this for years, and I'm not alone. But I think they should ditch their hardware-department and just go Multiplatform with their IP. Still have in-house development, but release the games for the other four systems instead (PC, Xbone, PS4, Mobile). They would make a shit-tone of money. However, I know this is highly unlikely. Maybe if the NX fails...

I've said this for years, and I'm not alone. But I think they should ditch their hardware-department and just go Multiplatform with their IP. Still have in-house development, but release the games for the other four systems instead (PC, Xbone, PS4, Mobile). They would make a shit-tone of money. However, I know this is highly unlikely. Maybe if the NX fails...
I fully understand why people say this.
I may not agree with a lot of what Nintendo do, but I think it would be bad for consoles as a whole if there's less and less manufactures. Whether that be for competition, innovation on the hardware side, especially as MS&Sony seem to be going in exactly tthe same direction.

It will be interesting just what the NX is and how well it does. Hopefully it will be strong enough to play most/all multiplats also...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back