Mixed Information on Consoles or How I learned to loathe PR *spin off*

Neo rumors for plan A: same CPU, same GPU * 2, same memory type, same memory architecture.
PR: Clear from the start mandatory forward and backward compatibility between PS4 and Neo at development level. we are talking about a PS4.5 iterative console.

Scorpio rumors: new CPU, new GPU, new memory type, new memory architecture.
PR: "it’s up to the game development community. What do they want to do. This is the beginning of a new cycle " "Scorpio is not a xbox 1.5" "No, no, that was a mistake, sorry guys, honest mistake. There will be backward and forward compatibility. There won't be Scorpio console exclusive games. But that's not mandatory for the devs anyways so that's just PR talk that everybody will have forgotten in 18 months."

@Globalisateur
I don't care if same or different cpu, gpu, gerbil powering it.
especially on the ms side where they have always had a certain level of abstraction to the hardware.
if the neo is using Polaris does that then make all the difference, so then its next gen not 1.5?

the only reason people got so hung up on Scorpio, is pretty much what your saying newer architecture, or the level of power it has.
if their using virtualization what does it matter if it's different cpu, gpu?

it was designed for vr and to run xo games at same fidelity at 4k native. They just wont force devs to do 4k.

games will look better on neo, games will look better on Scorpio, both aren't getting exclusive games.
Maybe you missed MS e3 press conference? They said ALL games will run across all the machines. How's is that different to you saying Sony said forward, backwards compatible, etc?

The only slight problem they had with messaging was about if it had to be 4k or if devs are allowed to use the power in other ways?
I don't believe sony has said that neo games could only be resolution, or frame rate better? So not allowed to have better shadows or smoke if the devs are able to do that? If that's the case I'm less confident in neo than I was.

I don't care if same or different cpu, gpu, gerbil powering it.
A gerbil powering it will make compatibility very difficult to maintain. Devs will have to port all their C/C++/C# code to assorted seeds and grains and vegetables. Maintenance will also be far higher than most console owners would like, what with the cleaning out and sawdust and stuff. Definitely against gerbil power myself.

@Globalisateur Have to admit you have got me thinking now though.
I was confident about the neo and thought it would do well. But if all it really does is possibly give a better resolution and/or frame rate, and that's all it's allowed to do. Then I'm not to sure about it any more.

A gerbil powering it will make compatibility very difficult to maintain. Devs will have to port all their C/C++/C# code to assorted seeds and grains and vegetables. Maintenance will also be far higher than most console owners would like, what with the cleaning out and sawdust and stuff. Definitely against gerbil power myself.
That's the benefit of virtualization, it's for ms to worry about not the devs.
But yea, I do see your point, and it may also be above their noise requirements.

Hyrb is about as docile as a potted plant. Give me a break. The fact ANYBODY could find him offensive somehow is just mind boggling. Somehow, I bet you cannot name a single person currently working for Sony you find similarly offensive (even though Yoshida etc all seem quite more aggressive such as their video making fun of loaning others discs...Ms never did such a video targeting an opponent). I also like your spiel about you, of course you, are the unbiased knight of whiteness. Funny that. Funny also that people rarely find any fault in themselves.

You should take your own advice for sure.

Anyways to avoid continuation I will have to put you on ignore, as I do whenever I encounter someone quite so, invested in a particular company's failure.

Anyways putting that behind us...again...

It looks Xbox S narrowly beat out PS4 in June, #16 to 18 or something like that. However we all know these sales dont count in June. It does suggest by the "amazon theorom" The S will win August. As it will also have July preorders to add to the tab.
However judging by Amazon fire sales on the old XBO did not push it ahead of PS4 for June, or close really.

there have been some really crazy deals on XBoOrecently, there was new XBO 500Gb with kinect and 2-3 games (granted family/kinetic games IIRC) on ebay for $215 for example...I mean, I guess Kinect is kinda dead but still that's pretty crazy to me.

Shuhei Yoshida is aggressive?

What did I miss, what did he say?
I lost track of the various execs. Which one told people to get a second job to buy their console?

That was Kutaragi. I think he also said people would buy the console without any games as it was a PlayStation, but may be wrong on that one. He was let go...

There is an interview with Mark Cerny and Shuhei Yoshida explaining Kutaragi's attitude, never thanking anyone and living in a bubble, it was not only a public problem it was also an internal one. Making decisions from an ivory tower. It was a really nice candid interview where they were not afraid of admitting how bad it was internally.

Console successes are flukes that happen because the competition fucked up more than you did.:oops:

EDIT: here it is, it's over an hour long, but it really show their personalities and why the change in attitude was so successful from PS3 era to PS4 era. They didn't hire new leaders, they just put the right people in charge. And basically removed Kutaragi.

Some gems about the complete disconnect between the hardware team and the software team during the PS2 and PS3 development at 11:30 to 15:00. They got the DS3 motion sensors prototype about 3 weeks before E3, having no idea it was even planned, and they had to "do something with it".

Shu's opinion about working for Kutaragi at 59:00

Last edited:
The reason some have a bad taste in the mouth about Larry is the following video, I think he's a good PR person but was stuck with shitty company policies to defend. There is another video where angry joe explains the PR goons being horrible mother fuckers trying to stop the (very public) interview. This interview was an incredible exploit against the PR system. How do you stop an interview when there are dozens of people with smartphones around?

(the same goes for Adam Orth, who ended up being a fall guy for business reasons, he said too early what the company intended, he never deserved this. Hence his game theme Adrift, it's almost sadistically expressive)

Major Nelson is PR person to the core. His forced smile and speech manner always gets me.
yx53vha5rktcryu39.gif
major_nelsonnluey.gif

Larry Hyrb doesn't smile 24/7? Quick, somebody call the police! Larry is a PR man. If you think of him as Major Nelson then he's doing his job. As a non-Xbox owner (but Windows 10, so half a Xbox credit right?) I feel Larry has been relegated to communicating to existing Xbox owners so he's kind of preaching to the converted. You see Phil Spencer doing the wider Xbox PR than you saw previous Heads of Xbox.

We know Sony only use unicorns and rainbows to communicate their PR. :nope: PR is easy when you're not trying to push a shitty message.

Back