Xbox One Insider Dashboard OS Previews [2016]

You're also supposed to be able to issue commands in many ways, so you don't need to use perfect syntax. For instance right now you have to say, "Xbox, go to Netflix", where with cortana you should be able to say, "... start netflix," or, "... play netflix," or, "... Netflix" etc.

U still need a trigger like "Hey Cortana", right?

I would hate to be gaming and chatting it up while going, "Sure, I 'watch My Little Ponies on Netflix' all the time", only to have my screen suddenly filled with rainbows and midget horses running around.

Currently in the preview, you have to say "Hey Cortana" before everything. So you can't say "Xbox, on" You have to say "Hey Cortana, Xbox on" "Go to Netflix" doesn't work, you say "Hey, Cortana" (wait five minutes while cortana snaps to the side and flashes and then declares herself ready) and then say "Go to Netflix) at which point she'll do a bing search for driving directions to Netflix.

Moving voice commands from the system-level built in ones to the contextual web-based ones with Cortana have significantly slowed down their activation and have led to situations like the Netflix one above. Which is an example of something that has actually happened.

Currently in the preview, you have to say "Hey Cortana" before everything. So you can't say "Xbox, on" You have to say "Hey Cortana, Xbox on" "Go to Netflix" doesn't work, you say "Hey, Cortana" (wait five minutes while cortana snaps to the side and flashes and then declares herself ready) and then say "Go to Netflix) at which point she'll do a bing search for driving directions to Netflix.

Moving voice commands from the system-level built in ones to the contextual web-based ones with Cortana have significantly slowed down their activation and have led to situations like the Netflix one above. Which is an example of something that has actually happened.

Or you just say, "Hey Cortana, go to Netflix" and it opens after a couple seconds ...

You don't have to wait for Cortana to snap to issue the rest of the command. Cortana will snap if you say, "Hey Cortana" and don't follow it up with anything else. Some people have an issue with "warming up" but that's because of various crashes in the preview build, which forces Cortana to reload before accepting more commands. Cortana should stay loaded once the bugs are worked out.

This is also kind of a dick move post. There are NDAs for a reason. You're basically slandering a buggy beta product in public in a completely one-sided manner. If you don't want to deal with bugs, quit the beta program.

I will say that Cortana has improved by leaps and bounds from the first initial wave when they rolled it out. However there still needs to be some more adjustments made for the time critical commands such as the media recording (screenshot, record that) or the media navigations (pause, resume, play, rewind, fast forward, mute). They are aware of those shortfalls and claim to be working on getting those working better.

Cortana is supposed to be ready and warmed up on every system start and resume from sleep. If it ever displays "warming up", that should be reported as a bug since it means Cortana crashed somewhere along the way.

I still report at least 5 issues on every new build related to it. I think its approaching a 75% accuracy rate for me, when old system was 98% to 100%. The initial rollout was under 20% success rate for me.

However, the way they rolled out the changes should have been handled better, the disabling of XBox Commands, without making it clear and known upfront what would happen, and replacing it with something broken. The initial state of Cortana was pathetic and any development team would be embarrassed by the first showings during the first 2 weeks. I'm sure if they had it to do over, they would have wished to do all these changes first and through internal alpha testing.

I'm glad for their own sake that they have made great strives and improvements.

Personally, I like the old xbox commands, but they've always been mediocre. "Xbox, On," "yes," "pause," and "back" have never worked well for me. The on command is pretty spotty. Always takes multiple attempts. "Pause" during videos will sometimes report, "Cannot go slower here." Ok ... The hit rate on back is relatively high, but not nearly perfect. The most annoying one is, "Yes." The simplest word to select. It has a hit rate of 0%. I cannot turn my xbox off without the controller. Tried recalibrating Kinect many times. Just doesn't work.

So the way forward, to me, is Cortana. They cannot dedicate more resources to local processing. Some people want the old "xbox" commands back for the simple voice commands, but I don't, because they're the ones with the higher fail rates. I still use the commands anways, I prefer it to controller navigation. I can sit and jerk off while I'm navigating and it works fine. Other people gave up on the local commands a long time ago. Cortana has more potential to improve over time, so it's the only way it'll ever get better.

Personally, I like the old xbox commands, but they've always been mediocre. "Xbox, On," "yes," "pause," and "back" have never worked well for me. The on command is pretty spotty. Always takes multiple attempts. "Pause" during videos will sometimes report, "Cannot go slower here." Ok ... The hit rate on back is relatively high, but not nearly perfect. The most annoying one is, "Yes." The simplest word to select. It has a hit rate of 0%. I cannot turn my xbox off without the controller. Tried recalibrating Kinect many times. Just doesn't work.

So the way forward, to me, is Cortana. They cannot dedicate more resources to local processing. Some people want the old "xbox" commands back for the simple voice commands, but I don't, because they're the ones with the higher fail rates. I still use the commands anways, I prefer it to controller navigation. I can sit and jerk off while I'm navigating and it works fine. Other people gave up on the local commands a long time ago. Cortana has more potential to improve over time, so it's the only way it'll ever get better.
So......you are jerking off on Cortana....

Explains why he likes it and is so defensive.

If that did it for me, I would love it as well. Although I would probably be jealous she was cheating on me with Scott.

If they release Cortana and it's crap, go ahead and spread the word. But it's in beta, and you're not supposed to be posting about it in public forums and your post is the perfect example of why you're not supposed to post in public about it. If you don't want to deal with the bugs and test it, quit the beta program. That's what the beta program is for. Don't sign up to test something and then complain about it for being buggy. No one made you sign up.

And I'll have you know, I don't jerk off to Cortana. Not my type. I did watch Zootopia last night, and that rabbit was doing something for me. A lady in uniform always does it.

I'm pretty sure that when something makes it to the front page of Reddit, not just the Xbox subreddit mind you, the actual front page, it's okay to reference in this thread.

And they have released Cortana, I've got it/her on my Surface 3 and she sucks there as well. And no, not in the way that you apparently want her to.

The bad way.

So what was the point in opting-in to the new os update, which was not forced on you, if you think it's a forgone conclusion that it's going to suck because you already think it sucks on your surface pro 3? So you could complain about it?

Or you just say, "Hey Cortana, go to Netflix" and it opens after a couple seconds ...

You don't have to wait for Cortana to snap to issue the rest of the command. Cortana will snap if you say, "Hey Cortana" and don't follow it up with anything else. Some people have an issue with "warming up" but that's because of various crashes in the preview build, which forces Cortana to reload before accepting more commands. Cortana should stay loaded once the bugs are worked out.

This is my experience as well. No need to wait for Cortana. Just issue the command in a natural fluid manner. After the last week or two of updates it pretty much works 99% of the time for me. Btw, they finally fixed it so I can launch Skype with Cortana. So I think they have made some progress. Will be interesting to see the final round of new features added for the Anniversary update in August.

Tommy McClain

So what was the point in opting-in to the new os update, which was not forced on you, if you think it's a forgone conclusion that it's going to suck because you already think it sucks on your surface pro 3? So you could complain about it?

Because the new OS update does more than just add Cortana? Why do you think?

Stop being an ass because other people aren't having the apparently flawless experience with Cortana that you are having.

Because the new OS update does more than just add Cortana? Why do you think?

Stop being an ass because other people aren't having the apparently flawless experience with Cortana that you are having.

I have no doubts that people are having serious issues with Cortana. When NXOE was in beta I couldn't use party chat for nearly a month. That's the kind of thing you can expect when you sign up for this.

I have no doubts that people are having serious issues with Cortana. When NXOE was in beta I couldn't use party chat for nearly a month. That's the kind of thing you can expect when you sign up for this.

Fine then quit your bitching about people relaying their actual experiences which is what the OP actually asked. And stop getting personally butt raped over some imaginary NDA that doesn't even exist.

The answer to the question, from my experience, is that Cortana doesn't work and SUCKS. If you say the commands too quickly it doesn't register and does nothing, if you say it too slowly it starts loading BING and searching the web.

It sucks. Just like Siri sucks and just like Google Now sucks most of the time.

It's CRAP.

Why you got your panties in a wad says more about you than it does about the voice recognition implementation of Cortana.

Back