Who Won E3 2016?

Who Won E3 2016?

• Total voters
1: Play anywhere is by far the most important feature that a finally binds console and PC gamers without having to pay twice and be able to pick up where you left off. You can cross play as well. It's hard to see a more important feature than that as being standard, I hope other publishers find the maths to follow a similar route.

I doubt this. Sony have had CrossBuy and CrossPlay for years but few publishers apart from Sony themselves have embraced it, and why should they? Some people, like myself, do double dip on console and PC and what publisher is really going to give up revenue?

I see PlayAnywhere as a low-cost way for Microsoft to increase traffic through their store. For most Windows gamers, Steam is their game centre and just getting pepple to look at Microsoft's store is a hurdle. But this may get a few people to think about buying PC games through Microsoft's store becuase it opens up games on Xbox as a possibility in the future. Similarly picking up Xbox over PlayStation.

I can't see this being game changing anytime soon, but it's a few disruptive pebbles for what may become a landslide of change in a many years time. Everything large starts small! :yep2:

I doubt this. Sony have had CrossBuy and CrossPlay for years but few publishers apart from Sony themselves have embraced it, and why should they? Some people, like myself, do double dip on console and PC and what publisher is really going to give up revenue?

I see PlayAnywhere as a low-cost way for Microsoft to increase traffic through their store. For most Windows gamers, Steam is their game centre and just getting pepple to look at Microsoft's store is a hurdle. But this may get a few people to think about buying PC games through Microsoft's store becuase it opens up games on Xbox as a possibility in the future. Similarly picking up Xbox over PlayStation.

I can't see this being game changing anytime soon, but it's a few disruptive pebbles for what may become a landslide of change in a many years time. Everything large starts small! :yep2:
We will need to see more details, I'm not sure what happens if you purchase a disc for XBO. I assume all purchases must be digital but that could be false.

The market has largely changed since then. EA had their own subscription service and their own store. Cross buy and play may very well just require a digital purchase off Origins for instance. Or cross buy could require EA access.

There was no incentive for EA to do Access either but it's proven highly profitable for them as well. The software infrastructure is much more in play than before, with DX12 being the common denominator and Xbox running similar variants, W10 already runs on Xbox App and XBOx runs W10 and the entire network had been approved and setup for cross play. UWP prevents or adds additional security to the gaming landscape.

Cross buy is a monetization question, cross play is as a gameplay one. I expect to see halo 6 on PC, perhaps with a controller requirement for instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will need to see more details, I'm not sure what happens if you purchase a disc for XBO. I assume all purchases must be digital but that could be false.

You're right, we need more details but if this is anything more than digial DRM purchase that works only within the Microsoft store, I'll eat my hat. Expect zero co-operation from Steam or UPlay, this is a lose-lose scenario for them. This is entirely a move to get people to use Microsoft store in the hope they may buy more software from the Microsoft store instead of Steam - earning Microsoft that retailer cut.

It's annoying there are still games exclusive to a given brand desktop PC...
Open market people ?

If I remember correctly, I believe there have been a program where you can send your physical disc in to have the title converted over to a digital purchase. That could be the solution for the crossbuy/crossplay issues.

If I remember correctly, I believe there have been a program where you can send your physical disc in to have the title converted over to a digital purchase. That could be the solution for the crossbuy/crossplay issues.
There was a plan like that when xbox one first announced. Bring the disc to participating retailers and it will become digital and you even can trade or sell it as second hand digital games.

Maybe they finally will put their original DRM plan into motion for future games.

Or they'll only do xbox anywhere (why the heck fid they named it xbox play anywhere on Windows 10, too long) only for digital purchases.

You're right, we need more details but if this is anything more than digial DRM purchase that works only within the Microsoft store, I'll eat my hat. Expect zero co-operation from Steam or UPlay, this is a lose-lose scenario for them. This is entirely a move to get people to use Microsoft store in the hope they may buy more software from the Microsoft store instead of Steam - earning Microsoft that retailer cut.
Been searching details as those E3 pre-order deals save me lots of $$$.

Unfortunately Digital only. MS Store. Looks like quite a premium for me to cross play. But w/e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to pre-order another One (or the S), but then I sat and looked at my others. I would need to sell one as I don't need that many. So as I hovered over the buy button, I decided to screw it and save those funds for better PC parts. So I am happy, my PC will be happier.

PC poll wins!

Hardware wise, MS won...Scorpio sounds great!

Software is however an easy victory for Sony...as always.

I'm actually looking at the exclusive lineups for both microsoft and sony since this generation started and I think exclusives mean less and less. I think both have put out good games, but the days where the exclusive games were clearly the best are long gone.

Not for me, I disagree. There are some great multiplat titles like Doom and Witcher3 and Overwatch for instance.

However, for me personally, the (timed) exclusives on each console were still the best this gen...at least so far.

A shame MS reduces the exclusives and first party studios.

But I am happy they are on track again and aim for power with their new box.

I wonder how much beefier a PC must be to keep up with Scorpio. UWP seems to be super heavy so far, see e.g. QB.

Graphics optimized exclusively First party style AAA for Scorpio must look godly. Remedy...do it!

It will likely be handled similarly to Steam.

Whether you buy digital or physical it'll be registered via the Windows 10 store on PC.

Regards,
SB

Um, I think you mean Microsoft won "vapourware". At best their proposed new console is a paper release at this point.
Microsoft unknowingly won the vaporwars along time ago with its 5 star general Misterxmedia recruiting tens of thousands of ignorant teenagers and twenty-somethingers into believing there was nearly Scorpio level performance (5.2 tfop) hidden in the Xbox One.

Since then they decided to pay tribute/homage to Misterxmedia's vision and create an Xbox that really represents the glory and power that he dreamt.

Back