The Annual E3 Microsoft press conference thread, 2016 edition

This got me thinking about something. If you wanted to stay in the relative same power envelope as the current console.

• Polaris - ~2.5x perf/watt of base GCN GPU. 2.5 x 1.8 TF is 4.5 TFLOPs, or pretty close to the 4.4 TFLOPs rumored for PS4 Neo
  • Vega - ~4.5x perf/watt of base GCN GPU. 4.5x x 1.3 TF is 5.85 TFLOPs, or pretty close to the 6 TFLOPs for the Xbox Scorpio
2.5x from 28nm to 14nm and another 2x from 14nm -> 14nm?
XBO (not Slim) consumes significantly less power than PS4 while gaming
SB
It does not.

Phil Spencer said:
While the game is capable of running at 1080p and 60 frames per second on the Xbox One, often the resolution drops in order to maintain a solid framerate. On Scorpio that won't be the case. "When a game like that runs on Scorpio," says Spencer, "it's going to run at maximum resolution the whole time."

Need. More. Details. :yep2: Explain the magic, Phil! Actually no, get a Microsoft fellow to explain the magic.

Phil Spencer said:
"It's crazy to announce something this early," he admits. "But when I put myself in the shoes of our customer, I want to be able to make a choice on what console I want to buy with as much information as possible. We want to give you the information to make that decision."
Don't buy Sony. :nope: It's refreshing they're being honest about it.

That's horrible. Why do you need to wait until you have an S in hand? If you provide the SN of the Kinect and XB1, isn't that enough to prove ownership? Why should I have to be delayed, I'd want to use my Kinect the same day I set up my S.

Because it retails for 50 USD

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Kinect-Adapter-for-Windows/productID.308803600

They want to make sure people at least have bought an XBO-S and aren't just doing it for a free adapter to use on their PC.

Regards,
SB

Huh? The 2.5x perf/watt improvement for Polaris compared to the base GCN GPU is due to both the node shrink as well as architectural changes within the GPU itself.
Exactly. Vega will be on same node.

It does, however, even if you don't want to believe it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7528/the-xbox-one-mini-review-hardware-analysis/5

Regards,
SB
I do not consider 20 Watts for 1.5x GPU "consumes significantly less power". Especially when CUH-1200 consumes 30-20 Watts less than СUH-1000.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-playstation-4-cuh-1200-c-chassis-review

Exactly. Vega will be on same node.

With further architectural improvements. I still don't get what your point is? For Polaris they only got 70% increased perf/watt due to the node shrink, the rest is due to architectural changes.

I do not consider 20 Watts for 1.5x GPU "consumes significantly less power".

Significant, as in notable. 14% is notable. I didn't say massive or large.

Regards,
SB

Because it retails for 50 USD

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Kinect-Adapter-for-Windows/productID.308803600

They want to make sure people at least have bought an XBO-S and aren't just doing it for a free adapter to use on their PC.

Regards,
SB

But those people would also have to own an XB1 and a Kinect. What is the sample size of customers that own an XB1 and a Kinect and are going to use this to get a free adapter on their PC?

How many people love Kinect on their PC and don't use it on their XB1?

Very sad to see almost no 'new' games, and little variety in what they did have. Still if I'm honest with myself unless they had announced a new version of Kameo and Viva Pinata I wouldn't of been happy regardless :)

From a guy who tries to convince everyone to play Bayonetta, what is Kayami thinking with that Monster Hunter ripoff?

If you don't have an XBO and a Kinect, why do you want the free adapter?

Regards,
SB

I thought you were saying that people who didn't have an XB1 but wanted to get a Kinect to use on their PC would use this as a way to get around purchasing the $50 adapter. To which my reply was essentially 'How many people is that scenario applicable for?'

How many people are going to have an XB1 and a Kinect sensor, access to both SN's, apply for a free PC adaptor and have no intention of buying an XB1S because they don't want to use their Kinect with their XB1 and are going to move it to their PC?

It's just a very small group of people, that's what I'm saying. People with XB1's who didn't like the Kinect probably already ebay'd them or sold them to Gamestop.

I thought you were saying that people who didn't have an XB1 but wanted to get a Kinect to use on their PC would use this as a way to get around purchasing the $50 adapter. To which my reply was essentially 'How many people is that scenario applicable for?'

How many people are going to have an XB1 and a Kinect sensor, access to both SN's, apply for a free PC adaptor and have no intention of buying an XB1S because they don't want to use their Kinect with their XB1 and are going to move it to their PC?

It's just a very small group of people, that's what I'm saying. People with XB1's who didn't like the Kinect probably already ebay'd them or sold them to Gamestop.

Does it matter? It's a product that retails for 50 USD. Microsoft are willing to give it away for free to anyone that owns an XBO with Kinect and buys an XBO-S so they can retain their Kinect functionality whether with games or otherwise. Can you fault them for wanting to have some small guarantee that it will "probably" be used for that?

Or heck, people might not even use it for their own PC. But get it free so they can resell it on Craigslist, Amazon, Ebay, whatever. Sure it might still happen anyway, but at least if it does, they've sold an XBO-S in exchange for giving away the free adapter.

Regards,
SB

OK, not sure if it was posted yet, but figured out why it is $299 for Xbone Slim UHD, the hard drive model is 500 GB for this one and it does not come with a controller.

Good way to reduce costs and also announce a small price. It is a good strategy, especially in the US market, where consumers typically prefer smallest up front costs. Most particularly advantageous in the US market to adopt this strategy.

This is the same idea of how PSVR was announced as $400 minimum, without PS Camera (another $50 I think). $399 looks much more attractive than $449 no matter how it is sliced.

Good moves by Microsoft here on the hardware front.

Software looks relatively sparse and weak (that Final Fantasy XV demo was an utter joke, Gears looked best from what was shown I think). Their weakness here is glaring heavily on the exclusive games/first party front.

Only thing I don't understand is the Scorpio announcement. It is good to tell consumers something is coming next, which is nice. However, without any real game details or prospect of sale for this holiday I see no strategic benefit from announcing it now as opposed to announcing it next year when such information will actually matter.

If Scorpio was coming this holiday at even lesser power e.g. 4 to 5 TF I would've called it an even bigger win for Microsoft on hardware front.

Overall a decent conference with the strongest item I would think is Xbone Slim UHD for $299 base price.

Oh wow I forgot Sea of Thieves, I missed half of the conference having to go out, just reviewing everything now... looks amazing. Looking forward to this a lot.

Only thing I don't understand is the Scorpio announcement. It is good to tell consumers something is coming next, which is nice. However, without any real game details or prospect of sale for this holiday I see no strategic benefit from announcing it now as opposed to announcing it next year when such information will actually matter..

No strategic benefit? Really? They completely undercut Sony and their 4Tf NEO announcement to such a degree that Sony isn't even going to announce it at E3 now. That's representative of nothing but a strategic benefit, and they made the decision to do so even at the possible expense of XB1S sales.

OK, not sure if it was posted yet, but figured out why it is $299 for Xbone Slim UHD, the hard drive model is 500 GB for this one and it does not come with a controller.

All model S' comes with the new revised controller. This has already been confirmed a number of times.

Incredible value for those that want 4k UHD BR player for $300.

Non-issue. Sony was never going to announce Neo this E3.

Sony is not immature enough to change their plan within days because of competitors. That in itself would be a major flaw and sign of weakness and lack of confidence in their own plans if they subscribed to such a paradigm.

They both are trying to capitalize in different ways on the strengths of their current business.

Scorpio sales will be made next year when they actually have stuff to show to the broader public in game demonstration form. Consoles are not sold by 2 years in advance developer talks of people they will never recognize come time for actually seeing Scorpio games.
All model S' comes with the new revised controller. This has already been confirmed a number of times.

Incredible value for those that want 4k UHD BR player for $300.
Cool thanks.

I really liked the microsoft e3 event. Great new hardware and amazing news for pc gamers like me. Good if not great job MS!

Is Crackdown 3 now a Scorpio launch title? And what on earth will they end up naming Project Scorpio? Xbox Project Scorpio is a bit long and weird. ;)

Back