Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

But is it possible in mgs5?

possible in some mission. in a mission with hostages or manhunt, the enemy can quickly runaway or kill the hostage if you go rambo and get lost. But if already know the objective, go rambo does work.

some mission also skips some scripted events if you go rambo. Thus making it ends much faster. A few of them even have miller praising you.

Yes, I've not played this as much as I'd like but from what I've seen you can go 'all Rambo' and I guess if you're having no joy try the stealth (or mix it up)

I've not played as much of this as I'd like either. I do tend to end up inadvertantly Ramboing through my general lack of stealth skills. Everything going to pot and still sort of working out is one of the joys of the game for me.

Ramboing is viable. I'm in chapter 2 now and enemies have so much armor sometimes you just have to roll heavy and shoot them in the face with a grenade launcher.

Personally, I think Ramboing is viable, but you'll realize that stealth is more fun and rewarding. More to the point, it's not even hard, or at least, it gets progressively easier. This holds true for just about every single MGS game. I remember the first time I played Snake Eater (yeah, I am bringing this up for the millionth time), I was scared shitless. Some of you might remember the first encounter with enemy soldiers around the hanging bridge... and I had no clue on how to progress and was just hiding out in the bushes, scared out of my mind to be seen. The thing is, in older MGS games, you always had that shiny radar sitting at the top corner of your screen, with the eye-sight cones, telling exactly where the enemy combatants were looking and how far their reach extended. Easy. MGS3 - Snake Eater? Nuh-uh. Nothing. So the whole concept of how to do stealth changed with that.

Long story short, it took a while to figure out the quirks and the limitations of the game, or that of the enemy combatants. In time, you'll know exactly how to do CQC (Close-Quarter-Combat) and how to do it effectively. You'll learn and become comfortable on how to approach enemies when they are not facing in your direction, how fast you can walk or approach them without them noticing, or how they react when you throw your empty ammo cartridges near by to gain their attention. The game has a fine tolerance on what goes and what doesn't - and half of the fun in learning the game is learning exactly that.

MGS5 is no exception - and it gives you lots of tools at your disposal to make it even more easy. For instance, one of the most powerful tools you start out with and is a must, regardless if you're playing Rambo style or not, is your binoculars. Use it to scope out enemy camps and you'll see, enemies are marked automatically and then tracked, even when you are not looking through your binoculars. This is essential because you'll know at any time where the marked soldiers moved off too when you are infiltrating. In time, the binoculars is substituted to a degree by buddies you can take with you in the field who do the marking for you. Crawling around is also always a good and preferable method (in close proximity of enemies), at least until you figure out the tolerance levels of the enemy combatants and how well they see or notice things. And listen to what happens around you. You'll hear when enemy soldiers that you put to sleep or killed get spotted and draw attention. This either gives you a small time frame to put them down as well before they go into alert phase, or enough time to get the hell out of that area.

MGS is not a game that is meant to be played like an action game. As I noted above in my lengthy post(s), it just ain't rewarding, quickly loses appeal and is far too simple and to an extent easy. It's meant to be played stealth and when you do, the experience is very rewarding and there's lots of details and nuances packed into this style of gameplay that is otherwise completely missed. You know how you can play with a cat with a simple string and keep it entertained? MGS5 is just like it - it rewards and encourages you to play with the enemy combatants. Luring, tricking, sneaking, it's all there to be used and experienced. And as you learn the game, the game evolves with you, becoming more tricky by for instance camps being protected by cameras, higher level combatants with extra armor, helmets, night sights, or air support, hovering around the air, ready to step in when you're spotted. Play the game Rambo, and those details and gameplay mechanics are missed and lost and you'll find it isn't a very good 'action game' - because it was never intended to be one.

So, best advice: Play the game (yes, it's worth every single penny) and when you do, picture yourself as the Boss, lone soldier out in the field, all alone, on a mission to infiltrate. Don't get spotted, think strategically and learn the game. I suppose when you're new to MGS, it can be a lot to take in at first (like when I first played Snake-Eater), but stick with it and you'll have a very rewarding experience playing it.

So, best advice: Play the game (yes, it's worth every single penny) and when you do, picture yourself as the Boss, lone soldier out in the field, all alone, on a mission to infiltrate. Don't get spotted, think strategically and learn the game. I suppose when you're new to MGS, it can be a lot to take in at first (like when I first played Snake-Eater), but stick with it and you'll have a very rewarding experience playing it.

Yes that's exactly how i'm playing the game, and i don't like when the game is forcing you to play in rambo style.

Ammo clips are your friend. Ammo clips are the most OP item in the entire game. Use them and abuse them when doing a stealth mission

Regards,
SB

Discover the joy of fultoning everything that isn't nailed down! My favorite is attaching balloons to hostile tanks and sending them into the sky.

Hehe, I will always love the one mission where you can just run to a specific location. Throw a bunch of decoys on the road. Move a little farther down the road. Hide. Wait until small convoy passes and notices the decoys. Run up to back of last tank. Fulton. Run up to back of vehicle carrying target. Fulton. Mission over, S-rank. For bonus cash make sure to run up and fulton the lead tank as well. :D

Regards,
SB

Hehe, I will always love the one mission where you can just run to a specific location. Throw a bunch of decoys on the road. Move a little farther down the road. Hide. Wait until small convoy passes and notices the decoys. Run up to back of last tank. Fulton. Run up to back of vehicle carrying target. Fulton. Mission over, S-rank. For bonus cash make sure to run up and fulton the lead tank as well. :D

Regards,
SB

Yup, fultoning is the real game in there, as much as u can, as often as u can :D ! ! !

I will never forget my first real fight with the parasite unit: when they jump out of the tank or truck.
It was sooooooooo intense; I was trying to retreat; fighting them with everything I got, just to try and slow them down; the screen constant in 'near death' mode. I noticed I was back to where I started. Well, might just as well get into the tank right?..
And then, the tides turned :)

That's what I called as "freedom and engagement", and MGSV is the king :)

Destiny had a degree of freedom of engagement but bungie keeps taking those away.

The Division vanilla mission have a few with nice freedom of engagement, especially by playing around with The AI and level design. It's no longer available in Incursion.

Mgsv? It's epic. It cleverly combines freedom and linearity.

Seriously, I can't imagine how the game will be if Konami gave Kojima yet another delay

I have an issue on mission 14. I am trying to complete the task where I listen to the 4 interrogations. It is maddening. Sometimes the two interrogators dont initiate the interrogation and they simply stand there. Sometimes I listen to all interogations and I still dont get the completion. Sometimes the guy that was supposed to walk with the prisoner to the final interrogation point doesnt do anything so the interrogators are simply waiting.

I dont know what else to do. And all these even when I dont alert anyone

Back