PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't even considering the fact that the physical copy rental market barely exists anymore.

I can see them including Blu-ray disc, with 4K copies soon. Similar to how they include a standard digital disc with most Blu-ray disc now... as well as an UltraViolet digital voucher.

If Sony and the other memebers of the UHD consortium are serious about 4K adoption, then the Trojan horse method of giving consumers both disc (1080p/4K) could lead to more potential 4K sales. That consumer would wonder: "what are they missing - visually" if they opt for the 4K route.

Rumors said it was going to be announced at a PlayStation Event in the fall but doesn't Sony have to get out ahead of this now and at least say something at E3 to attempt to control the messaging? Or do they continue to "no comment" for the next 6 months...

Your experience on PS4 isn't the slightest bit affected. It's remain the same over the next 3-4 years whether PS4K releases or not.
just like all those ps3 games continued to be made after the ps4 came out?
Grall said:
I would assume Sony would prevent such a thing from occurring. They have 30+ million existing customers they want to keep happy, that's significant incentive.
Like the 80 million ps3 owners were a significant incentive to keep making games?

Whilst some may think this will all be rainbows and unicorns and the ps4 will not be affected at all, the actual reality will be 6 months after release is The devs will focus on the more powerful console, esp its more powerful CPU (if it was GPU only then you could perhaps do higher res/AA) but with both the reality is ps4 owners will get worser? games than without the ps4k.

Would it be too bold to suggest that PS4k exist only because PS4 is not good enough for VR?!
Well done,:runaway: Finally 100+ posts after I mention it someone else gets it, Yes you are correct the Single reason for a ps4k is cause the ps4 was found not to supply enuf power for VR, hence this mid cycle upgrade.

IMO what they should do is yes release the ps4k but let it play ps4 games exactly the same but when you plug in the VR then unlock the fullpower (on the VR games boxes have the stipulation "only playable on the PS4k")
This way the existing 40+ million ps4 owners, if they have no desire for VR can happily play their games knowing they're seeing it at its fullest state

BTW cheer the forums have finally been fixed I can now copy&paste in a message

Rumors said it was going to be announced at a PlayStation Event in the fall but doesn't Sony have to get out ahead of this now and at least say something at E3 to attempt to control the messaging? Or do they continue to "no comment" for the next 6 months...
if true, it's fairly unfortunate for Sony to have this leak so well in advance.

380X is at 3.9 Tflops with 184GB/s mem bandwidth

You probably got it from the other posters who have mentioned it but, just in case, 380X is Tonga based. So, it uses delta-compression. Otherwise, it would need much more bandwidth than that.

Doesn't have memory contention issues with CPU either, which according to Sony slides for PS4 could be somewhere between inconsequential and significant.

I'm really enjoying reading how the sky is falling in the comments section. If there's one thing no-life gamers are good at, it's imagining threats unreal and getting really upset about them. When do people start whining about how bad Sony PR is handling the situation? Press release expected by morning?

Back to the hardware itself. I'm really curious about the CPU and memory not receiving much of an upgrade. Are they trying to enforce feature parity? For the consumers sake or for the developer? Why not 12GB of RAM? Why not a few more CPU cores, or a new CPU core that supports the same instructions?

Whenever PS5 comes out, it would definitely require a large bump in both CPU and memory. I'd expect 16GB of RAM at a minimum and a significantly better CPU. What does that say about the model going forward? When PS5 comes out the disparity between CPU and memory for 4.5 and 5 is going to be quite big, much bigger than if they'd done incremental upgrades on the 4.5. Essentially they're creating a minor/major upgrade cycle that will be fairly uneven.

In the past when new generations launched, some games just weren't available on the old platform, because they couldn't be designed to fit into its limitations. You got cross-gen games that were designed for that, and you got next-gen games that just stood on their own to take advantage of the new hardware. So if the gap between PS5 and PS4.5 are very large in terms of memory and CPU, how do you force devs to make their games available on both so that people don't feel like their premium price investment in PS4.5 was a waste? If you bought a PS3 in the last four years of the gen, you did so at a very reduced price knowing you'd get cut off. But buying a premium device that doesn't look like it's spec'd well enough to last 8 years seems like a bad investment.

My expectation for a mid-gen upgrade cycle would have had something like the following supported hardware by year:
2013 - PS4
2017 - PS4, PS4.5
2021 - PS4.5, PS5
2025 - PS5, PS5.5
etc

It'll be very interesting to see what their plan is, because it doesn't seem to fall in line with what I expected. Edit: Without them explicitly stating that going forward they would be switching to a forwards compatible model, I would not invest any money in PS4.5

Last edited:

IMO what they should do is yes release the ps4k but let it play ps4 games exactly the same but when you plug in the VR then unlock the fullpower (on the VR games boxes have the stipulation "only playable on the PS4k")
This way the existing 40+ million ps4 owners, if they have no desire for VR can happily play their games knowing they're seeing it at its fullest state

You think a good solution is to leave the hardware you paid for unused so that people don't get buyer's remorse over the PS4?

It depends on the architecture but in any case I wouldn't be expecting 970 level performance.

Looking at the PC side with "DX12" -level titles, a 970 would certainly be matched by supposed lower power AMD equivalents. The same could hold true for the PS4Neo. Damn. Project Morpheus... Neo.... Morpheus was looking for Neo to bring down the Matrix or something if I remember correctly. They must have been developed hand in hand, looking at their codenames.

Anyway, this would put PS4Neo at 970 level performance. A 970 is +330 euro in my country. A PS4 currently is 349. PS4Neo could cost 499 or 549 and still be cheap compared to a Steam Machine. I am guessing the price will go up a lot.

Morpheus - the one who brings you into / get out of The Matrix
Neo - the one who is the one in the matrix
Trinity?
Who else?

Blargh. Their codename makes me think ps4k was designed for Psvr.

I'm really enjoying reading how the sky is falling in the comments section. If there's one thing no-life gamers are good at, it's imagining threats unreal and getting really upset about them. When do people start whining about how bad Sony PR is handling the situation? Press release expected by morning?

Seriously, this annoys me the most about console gamers... followed by, the sense of entitlement and being cheap bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back