I don't understand why ps4 is louder with higher frame rate

'Less demanding' in what way? Running at 60 fps means twice the demands per pixel on screen as running at 30 fps, so games may not have the same visual zing but they still can push the system.

It depends by game. It is not always the case where a 60fps game will make the console louder.
MGS V doesnt make my PS4 louder than when I play for example DriveClub. Neither are many 60fps indie games. Apparently these games run at 60fps easily because they dont push the system much.
On the other hand Assasin's Creed Unity makes my fans spin louder despite that it is 30fps but we can see that the console struggles to keep up.
Of course TLOU at 60fps will make the fans louder compared to its 30fps mode since almost everything is constant except the framerate.

The temperature depends on how much the game pushes the hardware. Any specific game with all things equal will produce higher temperatures at 60fps and lower at 30fps for the reasons explained by Shifty. If the dev wants to push higher framerates with the minimum possible compromises the console is expected to be louder than a game that easily shoots above 30fps but is locked at 30fps for stability

Well, Garden Warfare 2 certainly looks like a demanding title. Isn't the fact that the game readily drops frames when the action gets really chaotic a good indicator that the game demands more from the system than it is able to provide? Besides, isn't the way resources are being spent rather inconsequential?

It depends on total system load. Saturation is a better indicator of power draw or increased heat than FPS.

But generally speaking with all things equal frames per second can be a good indicator. If the game is heavily GPU burdened but very light on CPU like SFV is, I don't see that as being saturated.

And even when a game is losing frames for instance on a GPU heavy game without knowing why it is, you can't assume the GPU is fully saturated.

My question is that if it's true that 60fps PS4 games are cranking the fan rpms up, why worry?

The console is designed to ramp up and down fan speeds like PS3 launch units did.

As long as thermal paste is there and even if some testing evaluates paste tests, then there's nothing to worry for the hardware.

What should worry you is if under say, six to twelve hours of single player campaign or online multiplayer sessions is what happens when you gotta stop playing to...eat, take a break, go do duties/obligations, etc....

Do you just shut down the system just like that?

Why not stay at the cross media screen idling for two to three minutes before shutting off...allowing the hot heatsink to cycle through all the heat.

Does the shut down help keeping the fan running couple minutes?

It it ramps up...it's doing it's job so it's a horrible idea to just turn off as some heat stayed behind

Basically fan speed can be modified using bling thermal paste...a slightly quiet will happen but only compared to rivals.

My question is that if it's true that 60fps PS4 games are cranking the fan rpms up, why worry?

The console is designed to ramp up and down fan speeds like PS3 launch units did.

As long as thermal paste is there and even if some testing evaluates paste tests, then there's nothing to worry for the hardware.

What should worry you is if under say, six to twelve hours of single player campaign or online multiplayer sessions is what happens when you gotta stop playing to...eat, take a break, go do duties/obligations, etc....

Do you just shut down the system just like that?

Why not stay at the cross media screen idling for two to three minutes before shutting off...allowing the hot heatsink to cycle through all the heat.

Does the shut down help keeping the fan running couple minutes?

It it ramps up...it's doing it's job so it's a horrible idea to just turn off as some heat stayed behind

Basically fan speed can be modified using bling thermal paste...a slightly quiet will happen but only compared to rivals.

I'm not worried, I'm annoyed.

Cooling down by waiting at PS menu is not needed. Ps4 act exactly like xbox 360 when shutting down. It will keep the fan stays on after shutdown for a few seconds or minutes, depending how fast it can cool down to the temperature allowed for shutdown.

Back