I don't understand why ps4 is louder with higher frame rate

IMO PS4 aways sounds the same, and I don't expect much change when PSVR arrives. Devs are already extracting "hidden" performance from the hardware [Tommorow's Children beta I played that used heavy async compute processing was no louder than other games], and the only thing that remains is to see how will unlocked 7th CPU core impact the power/heat.

This thread is getting me all nostalgic for launch 360s ... back when everything was 90nm, back before the emergency heatsink got added to the GPU, back when you'd have both fans revving their tits off in a loud and weird oscillating droning pattern, back when the DVD drive (with no sound insulation) was always running at 12X ... so much noise and vibration. Such hot DVDs.

OG X360 design philosophy: "fuck it".

A single loud fan is nothing. Nothing, you hear me!

This thread is getting me all nostalgic for launch 360s ... back when everything was 90nm, back before the emergency heatsink got added to the GPU, back when you'd have both fans revving their tits off in a loud and weird oscillating droning pattern, back when the DVD drive (with no sound insulation) was always running at 12X ... so much noise and vibration. Such hot DVDs.

OG X360 design philosophy: "fuck it".

A single loud fan is nothing. Nothing, you hear me!

My Xbox 360 was bloody loud. But since I able to get my hands on

- the revised heatsink
- BenQ DVD (the quietest I can get)
- and quiet fan (there is 3 brands, this is the quietest)

My x360 is quiete :D

Back to ps4.

Probably I'll open it up again tomorrow. I did not re-screw it. So i should be Bleak to open, clean, and close it without hassle.

Btw where did I put the screws... I remember I keep it somewhere safe. But where lol

I always wonder who these people are and what they're doing that their consoles are so loud. I have a launch unit and I've never heard it make a peep. Never. Not once. I'm constantly on it playing AAA games that theoretically are pushing it. And it's silent. I blow it out quarterly and that's basically the only maintenance.
It has already being figured out in others forums. It's like winning at the lottery, some PS4s are very silent, others are making a lot of noise depending of the games. I am talking about 1000 and 1100 models because the vast majority of 1200 PS4s are very quiet. What's interesting in those noisy models is that you can actually guess how much the game pushes the hardware.

But there's no 120 fps non VR game
I suspect most VR games will actually be rendered at 60fps. Very few actually will run at 120fps internally (if any). I think the best we can reasonably see will be 90fps. Sony has already said the 60fps -> 120hz interpolation job is kind of cheap.

IMO PS4 aways sounds the same, and I don't expect much change when PSVR arrives. Devs are already extracting "hidden" performance from the hardware [Tommorow's Children beta I played that used heavy async compute processing was no louder than other games], and the only thing that remains is to see how will unlocked 7th CPU core impact the power/heat.

Good for you for winning the lottery. Because Tomorrow's children demo was making the fan of my PS4 spinning really, really fast. Infamous is another 30fps game using async compute which makes the fan of my PS4 goes berserk on many areas.

How did the uc4 Mp demo run for you guys? In terms of fan loudness? I think it may definitely be worth at looking at a possible poor job with thermal paste by the builders.

All PS4s have equal parts, but not all ps4s are built equally :) if that doesn't work, I guess it may just be environmental conditions.

How did the uc4 Mp demo run for you guys? In terms of fan loudness? I think it may definitely be worth at looking at a possible poor job with thermal paste by the builders.

All PS4s have equal parts, but not all ps4s are built equally :) if that doesn't work, I guess it may just be environmental conditions.
Moderately noisy. I have heard much worse.

Bad explanation sorry, running at higher FPS does cause the machine to work harder (well duh :D but I'm talking about in another way than the obvious).
This is from an old thread >10 years ago I participated in on opengl.org with a graphics engineer I could possibly dig up the thread if need be

Vacuum cleaner at max speed.

Now my PS4 much quieter. But not as quiet as playing destiny.

Should be good enough.

I'd say that's because of higher GPU/CPU utilization. In theory no game can max out both at the same time but 60 fps games are more demanding on both the GPU and CPU (depending on the game). Just some made up numbers to make a point -> Say a 60 fps game that fails to hit its target 20% of the time will have average utilization of around 90% (CPU/GPU) while a 30 fps game that holds it's target for 95% of the time will have an average of 80%. Worse case scenario is running no vsync and no framerate cap in 3D menus (like AC:Unity) which leads to 100% GPU utilization and frames into the 300s. I think it's more about how much of the GPU/CPU (increasing power consumption/heat) are being utilized and less about framerate. Destiny is whisper quiet because it's not pushing the Ps4 enough.

Try playing Second Son without the 30 fps cap and with it and notice how the noise the Ps4 makes is changing for example.

Guys, STFU* !!! Buy a 5 dollar/euro watt-meter, and put it between the PS4 and the Wall (I mean connect it between the power cable and the wall outlet).

Measure the power output when playing destiny, and compare it to visually demanding titles.

Power=heat=fans spin more.

You could render GT7 at 4098*3420 at 2 frames per second, or you could render pong at 240 frames per second. The first example will be louder
End of discussion.

*Sony Temperate Fahrenheit United

End of discussion.
No, it's not. The number of watts being drawn doesn't really matter as clearly more watts are being drawn when the fan spins up. The question was asked why 60 fps games are drawing more watts. There's a proposition here that '60 fps is more demanding'. But as you say it's possible to engineer 30fps games and even lower that max everything. Heck, you could have a 5fps title max the hardware and burn through watts if it were 'well designed' to get maximum utilisation.

I think the question here is whether the original posit is valid. Are there 30 fps games that spin up orangpelupa's PS4 fan as much as 60 fps titles, or is it only 60 fps titles that get it spinning at full rate. As the starting question is subjective and based on a limited sampling, work needs to be done there for a technical answer.

My PS4 certainly doesn't seem to care about that framerate equals noise theory. All I've played for the last couple of weeks is Street Fighter V and Garden Warfare 2, and the console remained relatively silent. No different than when I played a bunch of Arkham Knight before.

I think the 60FPS = more noise theory is an interesting one, it certainly seems to be the case where 'less demanding' games (or at least those that appear to be less demanding) are making a lot of noise (and run at 60FPS). It's also interesting though that entering photo modes seems to make the fans take off.

The noise is one thing I do not appreciate, I wish Sony had designed a quieter machine that was less 'slick'.

Back