PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about a potential PS4.5 and what it would take to deliver a noticeable improvement in games. IMO, it has too be at least more than 50% raw performance.

You can look at X1 and the performance advantage that the PS4 has over it. While it exists, I'm not sure it has really shown to be that significant and noticeable outside the enthusiast. games look roughly the same and play the same (I'm sure I've fired up some console warrior with that).

So I think for the PS4.5 to make noticeable improvement and justify an upgrade, the power difference would have to be greater than the existing X1 to PS4 gap. I guess I don't see that happening on 28nm with the existing architecture. I don't think squeezing out another couple hundred MHz of the SOC will do much. A 50% increase in clocks would have to be on a smaller node and would also likely require a proportional GDDR5 BW increase. That's not feasible without GDD5x. All this sounds expensive.

I was thinking about a potential PS4.5 and what it would take to deliver a noticeable improvement in games. IMO, it has too be at least more than 50% raw performance.

You can look at X1 and the performance advantage that the PS4 has over it. While it exists, I'm not sure it has really shown to be that significant and noticeable outside the enthusiast. games look roughly the same and play the same (I'm sure I've fired up some console warrior with that).

So I think for the PS4.5 to make noticeable improvement and justify an upgrade, the power difference would have to be greater than the existing X1 to PS4 gap. I guess I don't see that happening on 28nm with the existing architecture. I don't think squeezing out another couple hundred MHz of the SOC will do much. A 50% increase in clocks would have to be on a smaller node and would also likely require a proportional GDDR5 BW increase. That's not feasible without GDD5x. All this sounds expensive.

I think achieving 50% would be quite easy. Remember the GPU that PS4 essentially uses (Radeon HD 7850) was released 4 years ago.

I would not be totally shocked to see 2X raw performance. (which is ultimately what I think Sony would like to be able to aim for every 3-4 years)

I would not be totally shocked to see 2X raw performance. (which is ultimately what I think Sony would like to be able to aim for every 3 years)

If Sony is going to release a new iteration every 3 years they are going to have to loosen up their licensing model. Right now there is no point in buying a second a PS4 if you have multiple users as only the primary account can access games on the second PS4.

If Sony is going to release a new iteration every 3 years they are going to have to loosen up their licensing model. Right now there is no point in buying a second a PS4 if you have multiple users as only the primary account can access games on the second PS4.
I followed the PS4 instructional video on how to share my games and I never encountered that problem.

I followed the PS4 instructional video on how to share my games and I never encountered that problem.

So explain to me then how my wife can play Peggle in the bedroom under her own account when the game was purchased under mine on the primary PS4 in the front room and I am logged on the primary PS4 playing something else.

This was allowed on the PS3 but then Sony decided they didn't want me to own more than one PS4.

=)

So explain to me then how my wife can play Peggle in the bedroom under her own account when the game was purchased under mine on the primary PS4 in the front room and I am logged on the primary PS4 playing something else.

This was allowed on the PS3 but then Sony decided they didn't want me to own more than one PS4.

=)
Welcome to DRM hell. ;)

The license you purchased is non-transferable. You are not allowed to borrow, lend, rent, or resell a DD game.

If that Neogaf post is true, and frankly it smacks a bit wild/out there for my tastes, then we really are down the rabbit hole. No way Microsoft couldn't respond...

2X GPU, at least 3.6 TF, I dont keep up so much with desktop GPU but that's still pretty dang beefy/power hungry I'd think. Dont know, keeping my salt handy...

No way Microsoft couldn't respond...
And as I've said before, this is really the most likely imperative for both manufacturers to seriously consider taking advantage of any modernised AMD hardware available that could be used to make a beefier-compatible console: Because the other guy might do it.. Welcome to the rat race of technology in pretty much every consumer field.

well this is the kind of product you can't announce months before release as it would impact badly PS4 sales. I'll buy it but i hope it does not come out in 2016.

well this is the kind of product you can't announce months before release as it would impact badly PS4 sales. I'll buy it but i hope it does not come out in 2016.
It would only impact PS4 sales for people who are interested in the new console over the base PS4 console.

When has the highest performing console taken the lion's share of the market? Or when was the last time that consumers overwhelmingly bought the most expensive model of TV, HiFi, PC, phone or car? I can't see console owners having radically different purchasing priorities for their console than anything else they own.

This is the Beyond 3D forum where many are graphics whores who crave the best hardware. Your average consumer? I don't think so.

2X GPU, at least 3.6 TF
Radeon 380X [359mm2 @28nm, 4GB GDDR5, stock clocks & 190W power drain] is rated as 3.9TF part by AMD. I could see 14nm Polaris managing to do simmilar performance in 250-280mm2 and ~100W. Perfect for a console that aims at sub-180W power drain.

Radeon 380X [359mm2 @28nm, 4GB GDDR5, stock clocks & 190W power drain] is rated as 3.9TF part by AMD. I could see 14nm Polaris managing to do simmilar performance in 250-280mm2 and ~100W. Perfect for a console that aims at sub-180W power drain.

It true, I agree.

This could mean the end of generations as we know them. In 3-4 years, another doubling of GPU and new CPU.

Recap:
- target price $399, could go up to $499 if they choose to use better CPU
- no current plan for upgrade program in the US
- GPU twice powerful as standard PS4. ~ "runs at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original"
- full support for 4K multimedia and games [native or upscaled]
- VR Lounge app
- devs have devkits in studios
- new games can take full advantage from PS4K specs, but they also run on standard 4K [with lowered visuals]
- standard PS4 games can get access to better rendering only via dev/publisher patch
- many games at launch will support both PS4 and PS4K hardware spec, both for PSVR [Eve Valkyrie, Robinson, GT Sport] and TV [Deep Down, GOW4]
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202462

Why is everybody talking about internet rumors as if they are all officially true?

People are acting batshit crazy in that gaf thread.

Apparently the guy has leaked many things in the past and has been verified by the mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back