Sony closes Evolution Studios (DriveClub, Motorstorm series).

Sounds like Drive Club development will live on.

I had stopped buying driving games as I got bored with Gran Turismo and never made the jump to Forza's frenetic upgrade cycle. The free Drive Club got me to upgrade to the full, paid version because it was so much fun. The thought of the VR version is about the only thing I'd currently consider VR for.

Guess I have a soft spot for the team. Best of luck to them.

2 UK studios in as many weeks, has there been a change to any UK tax incentives with regards to creative industry such as games development?

We don't have any truck with creativity here in the UK. It's a fad and it will pass.
Anybody for a nice cup of tea? How's the Empire doing?

I am going to give some PS4 games away for free, to spite Sony. Sorry but this really is a dick move. Drive club is one of the purest games in recent history..

This is a shock move. DC was an excellent product in the end, and VR is just around the corner. That said, Evolution made racing games and there's not much interest in those these days. That and Wipeout...I guess Sony are on a cull of old-school thinking?? Or are wanting to change philosophy on what first party is, maybe looking ot only keep the most profitable franchises much like MS is doing?

I am afraid so. It helps the company but it hurts gamers. I don't even want to imagine how a motorstorm PS4 would have been..
Or an evolution rally game on PS4? They would have terrain deformation unlike anything ever seen :( Or some other rarely seen tech.
Worst of all: the gameplay would be super addictive and rewarding as with their other titles.

So much love was put into drive club. F- All the reviews, seriously. "It's a great racing game and it controls like a dream, but it's just not open world, and in this time and age, that is kind of unacceptable.. 5/10" While Forza 6 later that year: "the non-open world aspect is surprisingly refreshing, even though almost all tracks and cars were already in Forza 5.. 9/10" :(

2001:WRC
--- sequels ---
2006: Motorstorm
--- sequels ---
2014: DriveClub
--- micro-transations ---

I don't know, maybe DriveClub sales were too low to sustain the studio for another 6 years with micro-transactions, while they work on the next franchise. They would know how many active users remain and how many pay for the additional content. With GT coming out, sony would end up competing against themselves anyway. With a genre that is nowhere near as profitable as it was in 2001.

With PSVR soon upon us I think it's a very bad long term decision from Sony. BAD. Maybe it's because of the fact that the real president of Worldwide Studios is no longer a true gamer and more a business man.

I'd like to hear Shu opinion on the matter, his true opinion. Maybe we'll know his true opinion on the matter in 10 years or so, like:

"Ex Playstation executive didn't want to get rid of Evolution. Click to know more of this sad story."

EDIT: sorry I missed the recent thread about this subject

Last edited:
2001:WRC
--- sequels ---
2006: Motorstorm
--- sequels ---
2014: DriveClub
--- micro-transations ---

I don't know, maybe DriveClub sales were too low to sustain the studio for another 6 years with micro-transactions, while they work on the next franchise. They would know how many active users remain and how many pay for the additional content. With GT coming out, sony would end up competing against themselves anyway. With a genre that is nowhere near as profitable as it was in 2001.
DC can't have been making much money. DLC as a revenue source only works on games with loooooong legs, like MMOs and Destiny or Borderlands. I'm sure people played DC, enjoyed it, and moved on. That meant a future title would have had to measured based on cost to make and likely returns from a straight sale and couple of DLC packs. There may have been some ideas suggested on future projects (open world car game like PS2's "Smuggler's Run" or something?) that Sony decided wouldn't pay their way, and don't add to the library in the same way a Team ICO title might.

Back