Nintendo GOing Forward.

I know a lot of people believe it will release next year, but what if it ends up being 2017?
It could absolutely launch then, but it would mean they'd have nothing for all of 2016 and 3/4 of 2017 (because they're not going to launch before the winter holiday shopping season). They basically have nothing for the rest of 2015 also with the delay of Zelda, which basically in my mind means Nintendo is being busy cross-porting the game to the NX - although probably not using much, if any of the new console's hardware power, just like with Twilight Princess for the Wii.

Well for a portable, what is the highest it could be priced?

Maybe about $250?

For that, they should be able to use a 2K screen. Isn't Amazon selling a $50 tablet with a high rez screen?

They could price it at $250 and then cut the price when sales are slow, as they did with the 3DS.

For that, they should be able to use a 2K screen. Isn't Amazon selling a $50 tablet with a high rez screen?

Nope. They no longer sell quality tablets. They switched over to shitty Nintendo level of subpar quality screens, 1024x600 7" or 1280x800 8" or 10"

Old:
Amazon older product of Fire HDX was a $150 7" tablet with quality screen resolution of 1920x1200 [ http://www.amazon.com/kindle-fire-hdx-student-gaming-tablet/dp/B00BWYQ9YE ]

Current:
Amazon $50 7" tablet now with screen resolution of 1024x600. [ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TSUGXKE ]

Amazon $150 8" tablet now with screen resolution of 1280x800 [ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S5HFVGI ]

Amazon $250 10" tablet now with screen resolution of 1280x800 [ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VKIY9RG ]

Doesn't say if industry leading desktop or mobile, so doesn't really give an indicator of power unfortunately. I'd also argue AMD with stacked RAM will be industry leading, yet used for price competitiveness rather than enhancing performance.

Doesn't say if industry leading desktop or mobile, so doesn't really give an indicator of power unfortunately. I'd also argue AMD with stacked RAM will be industry leading, yet used for price competitiveness rather than enhancing performance.

It's probably industry leading in terms of the most up to date GPU and CPU HW architecture, with stacked HBM as you say.

However, I'm certainly expecting a spanner thrown into that with a paltry TDP budget or miniscule die area. Nintendo gotta Nintendo somewhere

However, I'm certainly expecting a spanner thrown into that with a paltry TDP budget or miniscule die area. Nintendo gotta Nintendo somewhere
Casette tape storage system confirmed!

cassette_tape_orange_by_7scout7.jpg

Cassettes are kind of impractical and obsolete even by Nintendo standards. They could re-introduce their NES floppies perhaps...! Then we could finally see an original Zelda virtual console release with the full seven-voice soundtrack of the Japanese original. :p

Wall Street is covering Nintendo's presentation about their smartphone game portfolio:
http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2015/10/29/nintendo-unveils-first-smartphone-game-live-blog/

Aaaand they just announced a free2play smartphone title called "Miitomo" with in-app purchases that seems to be some kind of social interaction app like having an avatar and chatting with friends with no apparent purpose.. which will come out in March 2016:

0nijhxj.jpg

After that, there will be 4 other games or apps that won't be F2P and will be pay-for-download, released until March 2017.
Accordingly, their shares went down 9% on these news.

Yeah, they're completely clueless. I'm 50 points more convinced that the people running the company are morons.

Oh and Miyamoto supposedly talking about the NX:
We are going to be far more aggressive in using our IP, and not just stop with licensing, as in the past. The first example is Amiibo. We want our IP to better reach more children, and smart devices is just one vehicle
He almost got me excited with the "aggressive" sentence. But then he was talking about small plastic figures with a NFC tag inside and how he wants them to be readable by smartphones.

(EDIT: the news blog had the release dates wrong, corrected.)

Last edited by a moderator:
He almost got me excited with the "aggressive" sentence. But then he was talking about small plastic figures with a NFC tag inside and how he wants them to be readable by smartphones.

Instead of aggressive use of current IPs, I wish Nintendo would be aggressive in creating new IPs and ones catering to the tastes of modern core gamers. Nintendo is like Disney from the 80s. Disney managed to give Mickey Mouse a break and went on to prosper better than ever. Its about time Nintendo give Mario and other old ips a break to focus on newer IPs with broader appeal.

Whats the point of better hardware if its the same ole software?

Last edited:
I like the Disney analogy. Disney reinvented itself and moved with the times. Every business needs to move with the times.

Well they ARE moving with the times... They're releasing a smartphone internet chat client! Or whatever the shit that thing is.

Is it gonna be curated too like miiverse, or can pedophiles use it to groom wittle kiddies? :rolleyes:

Nintendo's cowardly short advances at "new" tech and software paradigms is always cringe-worthy. It pains me to see that stuff.

Seriously there's a lot of solid revisionism here, Nintendo didn't have a high tech console only with the Wii then Wii U, that's 2 consoles among a lot that were high end, so stop brandishing that as a forever true fact !

Back