News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the footage hints that the capsule detached from the rocket. However, it wouldn't have been a "natural" separation and a cargo launch may not have made provision for saving anything.
Perhaps if Hololense were specified to survive a drop of 45 kilometers and submersion to several thousand meters of seawater.
I think they would go way more far if both Hololens were lifted by this eagle.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/standing-wings-giant-cheeky-crow-5973774

Microsoft might be interested in buying AMD:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/06/microsoft-to-acquire-amd-rumor/

In a bid to revive its chip design operations, Microsoft Corp. may acquire Advanced Micro Devices, according to a source familiar with the matter. The software giant approached AMD several months ago, the source indicated. The result of the talks is unclear.

The details about negotiations are unclear, just like Microsoft’s exact proposal to AMD. However, since Microsoft has $95.3 billion in cash, whereas AMD’s market capitalization right now is $1.81 billion, the software giant may buy AMD relatively easily. In fact, current value of AMD is three times lower than the company paid for ATI Technologies in 2006.

Analysts estimate that Microsoft pays around $100 for every Xbox One system-on-chip to AMD. Life-to-date sales of Xbox One are around are around 12.6 million units, which means that Microsoft has already paid AMD around $1.26 billion for Xbox One chips. The acquisition of AMD could save it around a billion per year on Xbox One chips alone. It the company develops appropriate chips for smartphones and tablets, Microsoft’s savings could be even higher.

The battle for video game console space is very strong. If Microsoft bought AMD, then Sony would be faced with a bad set of choices: put money in Microsoft’s pocket every time it sells a PlayStation, or try to create an entirely new platform by using technologies from Intel, Nvidia, ARM or Imagination Technologies.

Since game consoles is an important business for Microsoft, the company naturally wants to make sure that its technology provider does not go bankrupt or is acquired by a competitor. For example, if Samsung takes over AMD and builds-in its APUs into its TVs, it will automatically become a major player in the market of video games.

Last edited:
hype
ciwczy9wgaanbo.png

Microsoft have improved the Oculus Rift lenses, so the image would have a lot less chromatic aberration and looks a lot sharper.

http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-has-just-improved-the-oculus-rifts-lenses-29390949/

Oculus-vs.-MSR-Lens-640x480.jpg

Tuscany-comparison.jpg

This brings the price up to roughly $200 per eye.
I'm pretty sure Oculus are capable of trying out different lenses (probably consulting lens/optical experts) to find the best ones. And the 'best ones' in this case are cheap ones. CA is addressed in the software processing.

It looks fairly chunky compared to the stock lens. And as for creating less chromatic aberration, don't worry - devs will just add that back in with software ;)

I do wish Microsoft practiced modesty.

What did their hype machine say about e3? Wasn't that something along these lines too, so I guess they're going to show more and better games at Gamescom and it'll be better than the US event?

Microsoft have improved the Oculus Rift lenses, so the image would have a lot less chromatic aberration and looks a lot sharpe
Sadly this is an unusable solution. Putting the lens closer to the eye will reduce CA, but will have a smaller exit pupil and no eye relief. It makes it difficult to align the headset with the eyes and prevents the use of prescription glasses.

The whole difficulty in making VR lenses is to have great eye relief and great exit pupil while maintaining the wide FOV. DK2 and the above mod are very primitive lenses compared to the final CV1 (and Morpheus). From what I can tell CV1 is is using a new type of fresnel manufacturing, with the only compromise being a bit less contrast, but everything else is a huge improvement.

This is almost, but not quite, awesome.

For a limited time, pre-order Fallout 4 and receive Fallout 3 on Xbox 360. The code for Fallout 3 will be delivered to your Xbox message center in 7-10 days. Redeem your code on Xbox.com and Fallout 3 will be included in backwards compatibility access when made available.

The part that I'm referring to is the last bit, of course. One would think that they'd be working hard on Fallout 3, but one would also think that they would have known all this and therefore would be curious and skeptical as to why it isn't already available.

If it were available say... right now, this is something that would motivate me to pre-order Fallout 4 which looked great at E3, get Fallout 3 which I've never played and play it via BC on my XB1 over this long holiday weekend.

Instead, it's like buying a beautiful woman an expensive dinner with only vague hints at when your reward for doing so will actually come.

Last edited:

What did their hype machine say about e3? Wasn't that something along these lines too, so I guess they're going to show more and better games at Gamescom and it'll be better than the US event?

I think it's a play on words. Best lineup in Xbox history. It's basically a stretch of games, perhaps not targeting per annum but a lineup before a pause. That lineup would theoretically begin this September with Forza 6 and end with gears 4 in 2016 unless it course they have another set of games they are announcing for 2017 holiday. That being said they are marketing the same lineup, just showing you more of it.

I think it's a play on words. Best lineup in Xbox history. It's basically a stretch of games, perhaps not targeting per annum but a lineup before a pause. That lineup would theoretically begin this September with Forza 6 and end with gears 4 in 2016 unless it course they have another set of games they are announcing for 2017 holiday. That being said they are marketing the same lineup, just showing you more of it.

It's the same line up, it's the same comment, what is the confusion?

I don't understand what your complaint or view is.
They believed that their e3 line up was their best ever, you may or may not agree.
Gamescom is in the same time frame as e3, so even if they showed the same games it would still be a valid statement as their still showing their best ever line up.
That's not actually taking into account their also showing Crackdown, Scalebound and Quantum Break, and they say some other unknown stuff.
Maybe you think they should say it's their second best line up ever, even though it may include the same and more?

"see the greatest Xbox line-up in history"

They're suggesting it's better than any event before it. I just feel they hype too much.

If you go into something thinking it's the best ever you're only going to be disappointed. They hyped e3 so hard that you expect more. That is all.

It's the same line up, it's the same comment, what is the confusion?
Lol I dunno the clarity got lost in there somehow. There is no confusion, all I wanted to say is the lineup is longer than the small little holiday streak at the end of 2015. It could be extended well past 2017 if nothing falls off target.

IGN Podcast unlocked number 200, and in commemoration IGN decided to invite some key pieces of the past, present and future of the Xbox.

These are true legends of the Xbox for me. :)

e3FgA4j.png

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07...bosses-past-and-present-share-stories-secrets

Last time I checked the video wasn't online yet, but I can't wait to watch it.

I'm not sure I'd call Phil a legend at this point. Swap him out for J Allard and you might have something there :).

For the record, I think Phil has been doing a good job in his leadership role, it's just early days for him still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back