Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Performance Analysis: The Crew

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-crew-performance-analysis

Interesting points:

What's curious about this game is that two different studios are handling development duties. In charge of the DirectX 11 versions - PC and Xbox One - we have the game's creators, Ivory Tower. [...] Meanwhile, the PlayStation 4 version is handled by Reflections, working directly from the Ivory Tower codebase

To cut to the chase, both versions hand in fairly solid 30fps performance levels, each operating at a native resolution of 1080p. An adaptive v-sync is in play on both systems, meaning that when the engine runs over its render budget, screen-tear manifests on-screen. It isn't consistently impactful to the experience by any stretch of the imagination, but what's clear is that tearing is more frequent on PlayStation 4. For its part, although Xbox One tears less often, very occasionally it simply drops entire frames instead.

There's a suggestion that overall draw distance LODs may be pushed out further on PlayStation 4, but the biggest point of differentiation is The Crew's anti-aliasing system, which is rather odd, to say the least. It appears to be post-process in nature, but it produces some very strange edge artefacts - especially on the Sony platform.

The more we look at it, the more we suspect that it may be some kind of strange off-shoot of HRAA [..] However, if it is a version of HRAA seen here, it's been very poorly implemented - coverage is weak on Xbox One, and while the effect is improved on PS4, the visual artefacts are highly visible and rather off-putting.

Face-off with PC comes later.

20 years of PlayStation: the making of WipEout

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-20-years-of-playstation-the-making-of-wipeout

Performance Analysis: The Crew

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-crew-performance-analysis
The more we look at it, the more we suspect that it may be some kind of strange off-shoot of HRAA [..] However, if it is a version of HRAA seen here, it's been very poorly implemented - coverage is weak on Xbox One, and while the effect is improved on PS4, the visual artefacts are highly visible and rather off-putting.

The temporal resolve on the PS4 AA looks b0rked. That really needs fixing. That's ... nasty.

The temporal resolve on the PS4 AA looks b0rked. That really needs fixing. That's ... nasty.

Depends on how often it happens, DF always manages to pull the worse case off and not give any context. They showed one bad pic and the others were fine. Sounds like the game is a mess and the PS4 got the B-team.

Mirrors my impression from the beta. Visuals were very inconsistent. This was on PS4.

Ooof, it's there in the Beta it's still there in the Omega.

Ubi are having a bad couple of months ...

Depends on how often it happens, DF always manages to pull the worse case off and not give any context. They showed one bad pic and the others were fine. Sounds like the game is a mess and the PS4 got the B-team.

Well if DF are trying to show a problem it wouldn't make sense to show a picture where it isn't there. You'd want a picture that would highlight the problem and make it so the readers can easily see it. And regarding this particular issue, DSoup noticed something like it in the Beta so it must be happening enough to be visible outside of one magnified still.

Context is normally fine with DF, trouble is when people selectively quote - removing the context - and then there's a dogpile in various internet echochambers.

The only recurring problem with DF is that they don't always have time to dig into the games as much as would be beneficial.

I'd like to propose "Omega" as the term for the post-Beta stage of software development. It's the part where you're trying to get the game ready for release after it's already released.

If it were a game, it'd be when the timer runs out and the level starts filling with poison gas and your health bar starts to drop.

It's several days / weeks / months of tweeting "Please Understand".

I'd like to propose "Omega" as the term for the post-Beta stage of software development. It's the part where you're trying to get the game ready for release after it's already released.
I second that proposal but with a slight amendment
I'd like to propose "Omega" as the term for the post-Beta stage of software development. It's the part where you're trying to get the game ready for release after it's already released. And then say sod it lets make some dlc instead.

If it were a game, it'd be when the timer runs out and the level starts filling with poison gas and your health bar starts to drop.

It's several days / weeks / months of tweeting "Please Understand".

The natural term is "Gamma" for software development, but that doesn't convey the sad state of affairs they are in.

Yeah, I don't think that Gamma could convey everything that needs to be conveyed. I'm not sure that Gamma denotes the panic and bugged patch releasing* and front-loaded-sales and good-will-losing effect that I think of as Omega.

This is what an Omega release feels like to me:

(*black screening, progress losing, save file wiping, match-unmaking, OS crashing, memory leaking, etc)

"Gamma" is more appropriate to me because it's very close to the greek word for "fucked".

Not bad, but really it's a stealth beta. ;) match like everything pre-SP1 in business software :p

And yeah, that Fox Engine is ... Interesting. Assets in this game aren't really showing off much of anything though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back