Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looked to me like there was a lot of AI complexity, those guards seemed to actually interact in a non-scripted way and their ability to traverse the environment completely freely also seemed to be new.
Nextgen isn't just about graphics after all.

I liked the more opened approach to the level. The new close combat moves look nice too. The only downside for me is the climbing animation. And yeah the lighting too seemed a lil bit odd but well pre alpha they said.

lBXkdbf.jpg

I was hoping for an upgraded animation system. It looks as weightless as before :/

Level design seems much better than previous entries, though.

60fps or not the game looks pretty good to me. The texture quality jump compared to last gen alone makes it beautiful. As Laa- yosh said the AI looks pretty interesting as well.

game looks great to me, really impressive imo. It's in the realm of reality, it seems like all the top notch games are more or less around that tier graphically.

Some of the subtler things I liked was the vegetation, and it's interactivity. Textures are great, gameplay looks good, I like the way AI handles things.

Lighting oddities aren't about pre alpha, it's unlikely that they'd change the lighting model or the shadow system. The character sticks out a bit from the environment and hasn't got proper self shadowing and self occlusion for the reflections or whatever they are.
They obviously have to take shortcuts if they really aim for 60fps, which however is fine by me. The upside is that the environments seem to be huge, the overall level of detail is a step up, and it looks like there are multiple paths and the AI has emergent gameplay qualities as well so it isn't only about the graphics.

The discrepancy between that E3 cut-scene and this gameplay is massive. Bigger than the discrepancy between the TLOU cut-scenes and gameplay. The in-game Drake model is quite awful. Am I naive to think they might still be trying to import the cut-scene quality Drake in-game?

A lot of the geometry is simply and blocky in design, but I think that's largely for gameplay reasons. That's been an issue in a lot of modern games; angular large rock structures can look impressively detailed but a bit odd if they're meant to be played on. Same issue with animation and character control; people want animations to interact realistically and be weighty, but with such simple input devices, that almost always implies that a lot of actions the character does will be outside of the direct control of the gamepad.

Foliage is nuts; it's thick, beautifully rendered, and even the stuff off the gameplay area looks rich and interactive. A lot of stuff here is like that, the game world is very alive.

AI looks more interesting to fight than the stuff in the PS3 UC games, and at a glance seems to interact nicely with the new and more complex gameplay environments.

It looked like the flashlight was interacting nicely with deep water?

Would be really impressive if they actually bring this to something resembling 60fps.

I've yet to watch the trailer, but the screenshots and .gifs don't impress anything like the original Uncharted. The original was a massive improvement on PS2 and really summoned in a new generation. UC4 looks very much like the PS3 games with a little extra whizz.

I haven't watched the HQ footage yet, but just judging from the stream, what I noticed was the animations and foliage density and interaction have improved significantly over last gen. IQ also looked very clean (but hard to tell from the stream). I'll watch the HQ footage later.

Looking at the screens of the gameplay footage, it does look noticeably worse than the initial trailer. But it still look way better than UC on PS3 IMO, specifically the skin shaders, facial animations and detail.

This IS basically ND's first crack at the PS4 too (TLOU was mostly a port job). Even the jump from UC1 to UC2 was pretty big. That said, I'm very happy with what I'm seeing so far, and there's still a long time to go.

Initial trailer was cinematics and those do look super nice. It wasn't reasonable to expect the same quality in gameplay. Just look at the Order, cinematics and interactive scenes are night and day.

I've yet to watch the trailer, but the screenshots and .gifs don't impress anything like the original Uncharted. The original was a massive improvement on PS2 and really summoned in a new generation. UC4 looks very much like the PS3 games with a little extra whizz.

I must not be expecting the world this generation… but from what I saw, UC4 looked far more impressive than anything that I currently see coming down the console pipeline. At this early stage, it’s far more hopeful than the letdowns (released letdowns) seen in ACU, Watch Dogs and a few other titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back