Kinect-less XB1 fallout thread *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

yea.. lol well. They are putting their reputation on the line in at 4pm GWT? lol
Should be any second now then. This is an interesting way to start the day

EDIT: It happened:
Official link: http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices

Changes: KinectLess Sku @ 399
Online and Gold Changes
179794-08%20xbox%20live%20digital%20poster-s14_final_620.jpg

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/13/5713440/xbox-one-no-kinect-release-date-price-microsoft

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems legit. All the game sites are reporting it. $400 console without Kinect. I'm pretty disappointed. Kinect is probably dead now. Maybe they just didn't have any software coming for it and they decided to cut the cord now.

Looks like they killed the paywall for most apps, which is a great decision. Game discounts coming for Gold subscribers on X1.

Seems legit. All the game sites are reporting it. $400 console without Kinect. I'm pretty disappointed. Kinect is probably dead now. Maybe they just didn't have any software coming for it and they decided to cut the cord now.

The latest (upcoming) NPD numbers is going to be interesting ...maybe the final straw that broke the camels back.

Looks like they killed the paywall for most apps, which is a great decision. Game discounts coming for Gold subscribers on X1.

Or it could have a positive effect: more people buying X1, a killer kinect app is released...all people buy the kinect add on.

Well that killed Kinect.

I'm surprised that it happened this soon, I thought they would go for the rest of the year with it. For $399, it's still not a great value proposition for the Xbox, but better. I would have prefered $399 with kinect, but my guess is that they are not losing any money on this SKU.

Or it could have a positive effect: more people buying X1, a killer kinect app is released...all people buy the kinect add on.

I can't really argue against what people want. I imagine the kinect-less unit will outsell the one with Kinect bundled by a good deal. Price is king, and early-adopter gamers seem to be very negative towards Kinect. No one will buy Kinect if there aren't any good applications for it. No one will make good applications for it if no one buys it. Bundling it was the best chance at getting software out there for it, because everyone was going to have it. Maybe there was just no one out there that could find a good use for it. I think it's great for the UI, but beyond that they weren't able to come up with anything that people liked.

Interesting choice from MS. I really belived that they wouldn't turn 180 on Kinect issue but I was clearly wrong. I did expect price drop but bet that they would still keep kinect. I guess kinect is truely dead.

Well, at least with this move (including removing apps behind paywall), MS will win US in this generation again. But most likely still lose overall sales because PS4 strong sales in EU. I'd say something like 80 million for PS4 and 70 million for XBone.

I hope they at least keep developing OS-level features for Kinect. I'd like to see continual improvements to voice control, and maybe see Cortana show up on the console.

I think this was entirely predictable, the only question was how long it would take them. Once the Xbox division started shedding execs associated with the original vision it was just a matter of time.

And it's good that Microsoft get this out of the way before E3. This isn't about giving consumers a choice, this is a tacit concession that bundling Kinect was a mistake, whether through lack of appeal of the hardware or the cost. But it's there was those who want it.

It's done now, we can move on and have a game-focussed E3.

I just hope Rocksmith gives the option to use it whenever Rocksmith comes out on next-gen. Fumbling around with a controller while you're standing with a guitar, or sitting with a guitar in your lap, is a pain in the ass.

I wonder if they'll announce a BluRay-less sku now. If that had been an option at the start, I would have gone that route to save a few bucks. If they did that now they'd have three different skus on the shelves.

They need to kill the $499. It will still be out there and may be a perception issue because if consumers dont want the lesser sku

Man, what a bummer. Don't see the regular Kinect SKU getting to $399 this year then. Guess Scott_Arm is right: better to cut the cord right now if there isn't any software coming for it. Doesn't seem including with every SKU gained much interest from developers. :(

As for the dropping the paywall, figured it was coming. Will definitely be useful for our home. Great move. They needed some positive press for once.

Nice move to kill the biggest negatives people complained about. But once the dust settles it will be interesting to see what's the next big thing the Internet will complain about since I still don't think it will still be enough.

Tommy McClain

The Xbox One platform has been the more rapid one to respond on a number of fronts, such as design, software, and service changes. Some of it is that there was so much more that was different from the start.

The platform was ambitious and broad from the outset with a lot of moving parts and forward-looking elements.
I kind of expected Microsoft to have stayed the course longer on Kinect, though.
Technically, it was very interesting.

Making Kinect non-standard weakens the media hub functionality argument, and a primary product differentiator.
This also cuts into the potential sampling volume for improving voice, and possibly the emphasis of functions that send voice data to the server like search (going into mobile phones may have displaced this, and may be what the new New Microsoft is going to care about more).

I'm curious what finally made them pull the trigger on this.
The product was so ambitious at the outset, and it was an interesting set of toes it was stepping on.
The breadth may have also left it too reliant on things going smoothly across so many dimensions (network infrastructure, home theater, software, UI, apps, media interests, telecom interests, major content vendors, licensing, manufacturing, PR, international policy making, Azure datacenter deployment, and on and on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back