Kinect-less XB1 fallout thread *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the picture is clearer and it has indeed been shown to not be able to offer a significant experience to gaming.

I completely disagree. Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

There are things I am certain that would work that have never been tried. All you can say is that Kinect has not offered a significant benefit to gaming, but you are not able to say that it is unable to do so.

Trying to map controller functions to body motions is a fundamental limitation in thinking, not in the technology.

I completely disagree. Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

There are things I am certain that would work that have never been tried. All you can say is that Kinect has not offered a significant benefit to gaming, but you are not able to say that it is unable to do so.

Trying to map controller functions to body motions is a fundamental limitation in thinking, not in the technology.

Kinect was advertised as "you being the controller" - to that effect Kinect failed and Kinect 2 is not good enough either. It may (be able to) add some part to the overall experience - but replace the controller it cannot do (for hardcore gamers).

I don't know why you mention mapping controller functions to body motions. Has that been tried? If yes it shows how difficult it is to make it compatible with a wider set of gaming scenarios.

I was a proponent of a kinect+controller hybrid to eliminate it's shortcomings in gameplay scenatios where Kinect alone proves to be inadequate.
It is not because the technology is not good or incapable. It can't be applied for many gameplay ideas, for the sole reason that it is limited to your body's limitations and spacial limitations (sitting on a couch or standing in front of your TV). Kinect is limited to the consumer's limitations and space and therefore the developer is also limited. This is why someone may come up with the idea of mapping buttons to body movements which also doesn't work. The thing was advertised as the device that would free the player from the limitations of the controller by making you the controller. It did the opposite and failed.

It wouldn't even matter if one or two gems would have emerged among hundreds if Kinect was given more chance. That wouldn't have been enough either.
Its been years and MS's R&D should have been more than capable to design a game that shows that potential, especially on XB1 which was supposed to establish it as an important addition. And I am talking before they made XB1 Kinectless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back