New PS4 Smell

TOlRQHA.png

They just can't admit publicly they fked up with the lightbar. They simply HAVE to keep it lit, even though it fills zero function without the camera.

It lets you know the controller is on, it's used for controller assignment, and there are (arguably useless) in-game uses. So I can understand why they want to leave it on, but are giving the option to dim the LED. This should virtually get rid of any glare/reflection issues (or at least greatly reduce them) and will probably help with battery life a bit. Good enough IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Like, what exactly?

Legitimate uses, I mean. A power/player indicator which you can't even see when using the controller? Wut. If you can't figure out which player you are without a LED bar which doubles the controller's power draw, then you're pretty helpless and shouldn't be playing console games. ;)

I don't know about you, but I at least want an LED to tell me the controller is on, like every wireless controller has. If they can dim it to at least 50%, then I don't see glare/reflections being much of an issue. Is it so hard to tilt the controller up to see the LED? You have to do the same with the DS3, only difference is you have to tilt it slightly more. Boo hoo.

Honestly, what are your concerns about a dim LED? Because there ARE uses for it, like them or not. Maybe you should try it after the update before you keep complaining about it. Or buy one of those decals for a few bucks to cover the damn thing if you have no use for it.

Sorry but I thought everyone else checked if the controller is on by pressing a button and see if it works? Like I do? You mean you actually check the led on ds3 to see if it's on??

It's not so much that I want the LED to let me know that it's on, it's more so to let me know that my controller is in fact off, and having the LED on when the controller is off doesn't make much sense. But FWIW, yes I do look at the indicator sometimes.

Every wireless controller has an LED indicator. Sony obviously just wanted to have one multipurpose LED instead of having one for the indicator, and one for the camera. Maybe not the best decision, but I understand why they did what they did.

I honestly just don't get how people are so emotional over it, especially since they haven't seen it after the update. Dimming it seems like a perfectly good compromise. It should dramatically reduce the issues the bright LED caused, but at the same time, it keeps the indication functionality.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the controller battery lasted a reasonable amount of time I think less folks would be concerned over the always on LED.

Cheers

There would be bitching anyway.

I like the look of the controller, it looks cool with the neon stripe and the tomb raider effect was nice.
Imho they should have added the dimming feature from the start, but turning it off would be stupid.

Good thing they're going to fix the controller light (hopefully).

Are they still planning on adding media playback capabilities? Or has that fallen by the wayside...

I hope not, I need something that can replace my PS3's functionality.

There would be bitching anyway.
Not so much from me, definitely. When the controller only lasts a few hours it's really annoying to have it glowing brightly all the time. Not to mention when you try to enjoy a movie and MUST use the controller because sony's BT remote doesn't work with PS4 (you can pair it and the system recognizes it, but the buttons do absolutely nothing), you pick up the controller to start the movie, put it down, and unless you hide it under furniture or bury it under a sweater or something that friggin light is going to either glare into the TV screen or into your eyes. It's really annoying.

I like the look of the controller
I'm not much of a fan TBH. The lines are way too busy, with too many angles and creases which will collect dust and/or human detritus. I like the look of PS4 itself, but Xbone controller looks better IMO with its fully integrated thumbsticks, and no touchpad sticking up like it was an afterthought.

Are they still planning on adding media playback capabilities? Or has that fallen by the wayside...

I hope not, I need something that can replace my PS3's functionality.
I hope so too, because my PS3 slim's fan drone is quite irritating. Also, could use the HDMI input for an old PC I have laying about here.

Not so much from me, definitely. When the controller only lasts a few hours it's really annoying to have it glowing brightly all the time. Not to mention when you try to enjoy a movie and MUST use the controller because sony's BT remote doesn't work with PS4 (you can pair it and the system recognizes it, but the buttons do absolutely nothing), you pick up the controller to start the movie, put it down, and unless you hide it under furniture or bury it under a sweater or something that friggin light is going to either glare into the TV screen or into your eyes. It's really annoying..

It lasts 7-8 hours or so, i can't recall the last time i played any game for so long, but my point is that if it last 10 hours there would still be complaints.

The light thing is annoying if it reflects into you screen, i never had an issue with it, and i don't cover it in blankets, but it totally depends on how ones setup is.

Has anyone else found the rubber pads on the sticks splitting?

Both my controllers left sticks lost their rubber padding last week. It just sort of wore through. So I bought some replacement pads from Amazon and tore the remains of the old ones off and super glued the new ones on. They are much better than the originals - though one is convex and dimpled and the other concave like the originals. I jut put the dimpled one on the right stick and the concave one on the left stick.

Also I think the option to at least dim the light bar is a good move. Games that use it can just adjust the brightness as they need too right?

Has anyone else found the rubber pads on the sticks splitting?

Yes, the left stick's rubber has flaked away on the bottom left. I think this goes to show that I must actually be a coward in my games.

So I bought some replacement pads from Amazon

Replacement pads?? I'll definitely have to purchase some of these. I did look for some a few weeks ago, only couldn't find any.

Yes, the left stick's rubber has flaked away on the bottom left. I think this goes to show that I must actually be a coward in my games.

Replacement pads?? I'll definitely have to purchase some of these. I did look for some a few weeks ago, only couldn't find any.

Here's the Amazon link. They're a little expensive for what they are, but they are very sturdy and equally as comfortable to use as the original. In many ways they are better.

The only downside is that to make them fit I had to remove the old pads entirely and then the new ones were very loose. But super glue applied to the top of the stick and then a little pressure to keep the pad in contact fixed that.

No, but I often turn my controllers off during long updates/downloads. Not as much of an issue with the PS4 since you can download in standby. But regardless, I like to have some indication that my controller is on/off, just like any other wireless controller.

Too bad the console doesn't simply use controller ports and lightless wired controllers with a long reach.

This inferior combination of electrolyte sorcery and short USB cables is so technologically backwards.

:)

Back