*spin-off* Ryse Trade-Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what what's going on at Microsoft and Crytek HQ. Just a while ago Microsoft said there was no problems with the hardware and confirms Ryse to be 1080p native, yet we hear Crytek hacking the game down 50% from polygons to pixels. I wonder, what's reason behind this? the ESram? then ditch it.

Ditch what, the esram? LOL. Its a new system with the overhead of crytek hubris that seems to occur with many of their titles. It is hardly shocking that issues will aryse with the time constraints of a launch title. Swing for the fences for a while but let's get those animations fixed :)

I wonder what what's going on at Microsoft and Crytek HQ. Just a while ago Microsoft said there was no problems with the hardware and confirms Ryse to be 1080p native, yet we hear Crytek hacking the game down 50% from polygons to pixels. I wonder, what's reason behind this? the ESram? then ditch it.

all it is is crytek found a better way to be immersive. They found that lighting and light properties were more immersive (believable, realistic, enjoyable) than meeting a polygon count. If you listen to Cevat he says this in his talk. In fact he says that he wanted cinematic quality to his characters and environment much like in movies and through advanced techniques and lighting Ryse achieves that.

In the comparison pics that were posted I see improvement and no downgrades. Im waiting on Shortbread's expose.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1789331&postcount=232

It's not a downgrade if the results on screen, the only thing that matters, don't look any worse. And if the reduction in polygons is both imperceptible and allows for better quality triangles, it's a net win, which should be considered an optimisation (or better compromise ;)).

85K is still great. I know vs posts arent allowed at B3d and thats one of the reasons i love this place.
If you go and look at other 1st or 3rd party launch titles on either system you would be hard pressed to find a title using this many polygons on main characters and npcs. My point is if this is considered a downgrade then i will take it any day

Ok, i just checked out the later posts in this thread. It looks better. better lighting, weather effects, and more onscreen action. hopefully more footage is to be shown of the "new" and what it is they're talking about.

.....I think what they did was reallocate the polygon count. the total polygons per-frame are the same but are not wasted on a specific object. so it's both a trade off and an optimization. It still sucks that they went out of the way to post a bogus figure.....they should have held that information back like what many devs do. 85k should have been the number shown because technically, 150k to 85k is a downgrade, according to our numerical system.

It's a reduction, not a downgrade. Maths doesn't include a definition for 'downgrade'.

no of course not, what it translates to is what people are thinking about. In this case it's a rearranging of numbers and priorities, that's all. It would have helped if these numbers were shown much latter. the total polygons per frame should have been expressed. (if any polygon numbers.)

Could also be a re-allocation, we don't know.
Re-allocation sounds good.

This is a downgrade.

conv25sq.jpg

This is optimisation:

t7sr.jpg

4o6d.jpg

tdem.jpg

This is a decimation master:

dm07.jpg

And this is re-allocation and upgrading -imho-:

ibweIYsuiz9Sjm.gif

I have to admit Ryse looks much better now than before. It looks more alive.

Also, It may be possible that we've been seeing the 85k Marius for a while. I went over some of the new stuff (combat gameplay) and i can't spot the change. other then the lighting characters have just as good fidelity now as they did then, they probably took the polygons away from some of the less important places. faces and armor look to have taken no hit what so ever. (quite the contrary some improvements were made.)

In the comparison pics that were posted I see improvement and no downgrades. Im waiting on Shortbread's expose.

The screen grabs are way to muddy and degraded for posting. I need a direct feed (720/900/1080p) other than IGN's video stream feed. The ones I took from the stream just made things worst, and that's not what I'm trying to convey. I just wanted to illustrate certain things that should have depth and high quality shaders/textures, that seem to be missing from the current build.

I have to admit Ryse looks much better now than before. It looks more alive.
That's why I thought to myself "what really, kinda strong reaction" regarding your comment in image quality thread.
Wasn't sure if you had seen before and after pics etc and was just updating that thread with relevant pic.

I agree with you, far from it looking like some downgrade, it looks better imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back