XBox One, PS4, DRM, and You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here you go, the fallout from the article quoted just above:

Really? Sharing discs, in 2013? Sigh, well that's bloody fabulous, no more digital game sharing. Great, welcome to 2005. Sorry but this really sucks. I'll have to hope Steam isn't so mired in the past. What's next, will the consoles only work in homes with 20 amp circuit boxes and rotary phones? I hate this.

Sony did digital game sharing (for downloaded games) on PS3. I would imagine that would still persist into the PS4/XBox One generation to some more limited extent even with this walk-back.

Actually we got numbers from UK retailers with PS4 having a 2/1 advantage in pre-orders. I think this was posted here. Keep in mind that 360 has dominated (not counting Wii) the UK, outselling PS3 by a fair amount.

those numbers were hearsay. furnished by a neogaffer, a forum famous for pro-Sony mentality.

and i'd like to know eg, 360 vs ps3 preorders (may have well been similar in favor of ps3) etc.

anyways, i do think slow preorder sales may have played a part in this. i'm just not convinced.

mainly, i bet preorders would have looked a lot better if it was priced the same as ps4. which would hint drm wasnt the "problem"

The hell they don't.

But it'll happen behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised to see a sudden rise in 3rd party exclusive content on the X1.

lol what?

I think they had to this when they saw the quantities that Sony is bringing vs them. They are likely to get outsold more than 2:1 at launch. This war on software sales would have been over by march

Really? Sharing discs, in 2013? Sigh, well that's bloody fabulous, no more digital game sharing. Great, welcome to 2005. Sorry but this really sucks. I'll have to hope Steam isn't so mired in the past. What's next, will the consoles only work in homes with 20 amp circuit boxes and rotary phones? I hate this.

No it doesnt.

Okay, I can see why you might be pissed about this.

It really didn't need to be this way. MS made the whole thing so toxic that they felt they had to throw the bed out after they shit in it, or something.

Well, if Microsoft can avoid being outsold by PS4 at a 2-1 rate, publishers will find it much more affordable to give exclusive content to the XBox One.

Yesterday XB1 was going to get more 3rd party support because they restricted the use of 2nd hand games. Now is the opposite. :LOL:

F*** you Sony.
You wanna reconsider your statement as this is not thanks to Sony its thanks to the consumer's reaction to MS's extreme restrictions and its a good thing that the consumer's voice has the power to affect choices even if it doesnt serve you ;)

No more cloud power? :(

yeah i wonder.

i guess it doesnt matter for online games like titanfall.

but offline games?

i guess at the least they must have a offline mode...

then again, they probably had too anyway. eg the 24 hour check, you still have to be able to play offline 23 hours a day under that system...

Explain..

It's Sony that'll have to explain themselves to the publishers. I'm 100% certain it was a guerilla move behind their backs, to say that Sony won't require any DRM so all the blame would be shifted to publishers and MS. As a result the entire online community forgot just how much worse their E3 conference actually was.

So, while the publishers will accept the unchanged status quo for now, they will make Sony pay for this in the end.

The hell they don't.

But it'll happen behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised to see a sudden rise in 3rd party exclusive content on the X1.

I infact would expect the opposite. Suddenly any deals made due to the DRM and being allowed to keep some of the money of used game or prevent used sales are dead. So unless Microsoft just throws them cash to compensate I see that content going to PS4 as well.

You wanna reconsider your statement as this is not thanks to Sony its thanks to the consumer and its a good thing that the consumer's voice has the power to affect choices even if it doesnt serve you ;)

the consumer sucks. he cares about his video games but not things like the nsa coming from govt that actually effect our freedom :smile:

I wonder why are Microsoft insistent on one policy for both purchases types. Why not one policy for purchases on disc, so sharing works like it does now for those who want it, and a policy for digital purchases with sharing as they originally envisaged. Sony seem to be managing it.

This all or nothing is going to be equally negative for some, like the folks who were looking forward to what Microsoft were offering will not be disappointed. Are Microsoft using a Magic 8 Ball for their policy decisions? :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back